Electric Shaver?

kev1-1

Enlightened
My girlfriend is looking at getting her dad a nice electric shaver for Christmas. Having only ever wet shaved, this is an area I know nothing about. Any suggestions as to what to look for/avoid? Best brands etc? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
I like the Braun ones the best, with the little horizontal shaver between the foils - seems best with my coarse beard. Folks with fine beards seem to like the Norelcos, but they don't work nearly so well for me.

I mostly wet shave, but keep an electric around for touch-ups in the evening or when travelling, and the newer Brauns do a fine job. If he hasn't used an electric before, he should know that they tend to make your face feel as if chewed by an angry weasel for the first few days, then it's all better - many try but quit before it gets better - he shouldn't do that.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only used electric. I don't like the idea of razor blades being point blank range against my face. With electric, I've never been cut. The electrics do tend to pull a bit and leave the skin dry and irritated, but to me that is a mild price to pay to not be getting slided up.

Norelco does an okay job. I've never found an electric that I'd say does a great job though.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I use one of the Braun Syncro models. It shaves well, but, as deanster said, you have to put up with acouple days of having your beard (and surface imperfections) reconfigured.

The Braun with the cleaning base is really a cool idea and it works very well, but you have to buy new cleaning cartriges every two months or so. The replacement parts for the braun can be very expensive too; $35 for a new foil and cutter.

Daniel

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
You might do a search here in the Cafe or Gadgets Forum...seems to me that we discussed electric razors to some extent some time ago.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Another vote for the Braun Syncro models. The hairs on my neck come out almost parallel with the skin surface, and they're a real pain to cut. Yes, I frequently get ingrown hairs on my neck. Ouch! The Braun does a really good job of getting them though.

I have a model prior to the new automatic cleaning jobbies. The foil and cutter block can be a bit expensive, but nothing compared to the price of disposable blades over the same amount of time. I would venture to say they tend to last about two years as long as you take care and keep it clean.

The key to any electric razor (IMHO) is this: Keep it clean so it stays sharp. My advice: Take the foil off of the razor after each use and knock out the shaven whiskers. Every couple of weeks or so, take the cutter off and give the razor a decent cleaning with the little cleaning brush that is included. Doesn't take very long at all. Of course, this is all null and void with the new auto cleaning models, as they do this job for you (at the expense of have to buy cleaning refills every so often).

To give you an idea of how well Braun's razors are made, I have one that is probably about 6-7 years old by my best guess. It has NiMh batteries in it (they were pretty new at the time). My dad also has one that is about 6 months newer, and is a model one step up from mine. Both of our razors are only recently just starting to get to where the batteries won't hold a charge real well anymore. The razor still works really well, and can be run from the AC plug if necessary. I just recently bought some 2100 MaH capacity tabbed AA cells from Kevin at Batterystation to replace the failing batteries. These will be a 3x increase in capacity from the stock batts., and even those held enough charge to use the razor for about 4 days on average between charges. I have no doubt that the razor will outlast even these new batteries.

I've been able to find replacement foil/cutter packages (both included in one package) at most Wally Worlds. They tend to be almost half as much $$$ there as I've seen them elsewhere.

PS - The good news is that Costco is now carrying the newest Braun BOTH online AND in stores:
Braun Activator Foil Shaver

UK Owl

Enlightened
Tried a 'braun' fixed foil one a few years ago only to have it turn my face lobster coloured. About two years ago I got a phillishave 'travel' shaver with rotary heads, and found it so good I no longer wet shave.

It seems a fixed foil agrees with some people and not others; the same can be said about rotary shavers.

P.S. a little tip for you all....

I have found that a light coat of talc on your face before you shave stops the shaver from dragging on the skin (i.e. makes skin completely dry) resulting in a smoother shave with NO irritation.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There is an art to shaving with any tool. I never mastered wet shaving, but then again I did not start shainging till I was 30 something.

The fix foil shvers call for lightly running it across the face. Little or no presure. Some swear by a 'pre shaving' lotion.

The first few times you use the foil shaver it will be 'seating' the foil and cutter to each other. It also seems to be taking surface irregularities off your face. I could be wrong.

One thing you NEVER want to do is shave with a foil that's damaged or worn through. It starts to cut the heck out of you when that happens. Yup. Been there, did that, go the bandages.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

kev1-1

Enlightened
Thanks for all the reports...I will pass on all the info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif