emergency car help needed

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok i was on wat to dads car died my freind was driveing but afer trouble shooting on side a road its the timeing belt this is in a 1992 geo prizim it has the 16 vavle toyota motor my question is .is this a inference moter? do the valve go into the pistons when belt breaks? i need answer kinda quick please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Hey raggie33.
I just looked up the 92 prism with vin 5 and 6 engines (apparently they had 2 engine options) on my data base and there were no notes about it being an interference design.

It's been a while since I've worked on one of these, so I don't remember first hand. But almost always if it were an interference motor it be listed in BOLD print in my data base...

So your probably OK.....My software has been wrong at times (All Data. com) and I looked but I don't have a paper manual.

I just called a buddy at a chevy dealer whom I used to work with and he looked it up...Says your OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif.

Good luck on your trip...does'nt sound like it's starting off too well...At least your engine's ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool im takeing it down now,but i didnt want to tell freind to buy parts if valves are bent maa he even has to buy a jack to do it the darn engine mount goes thur belt well it apears that way

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o ps im back home now lol broke down in contrustion zone didnt think working on car there was wise of the interstate took 2 hours or more for tow truck i have it all tore down now but im waiting for a jack to suport motor when i remove engine moutn and a course when i turn bolt to remove cranck shaft bolt crank just turns. dang i need air impact wrech but sometimes i cheat and let motor help me i bump starteer hwen wrecnh is secure

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that trick always works in a bind, but be careful. I've seen many broken parts as a result. One of my guys just today broke a radiator doing that.lol He didn't have room for an impact.

Anyway. If it's a stickshift car you can always put it in a high gear (4th or 5th) with parking brake on... But if your luck is anything like mine, you probably have an auto trans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Goodluck with it...You certainly sound like you know your way around an engine...l Hope tomorrow treats you better.

Rich

raggie33

*the raggedier*
its auto .lol one time i worked on a ford exp ,between the crank shaft and whell well it was like 1/2 inch i said screw it and drilled a hole big enough for socket to fit thru

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
lol. Yeah I've seen that one. They certainly don't make many cars easy to work on anymore..

Hav'nt worked on anything older than a 2000 in a few months. Some thing's are easier than they were and other things, well, you just want to strangle the enginier whom designed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

p.s. I was trying to cut and past some things from my data base for ya but the pictures (the most important things) wouldn't transfer over.
Don't know if your familiar with this engine but if you look through the holes on the cam sprocket there should be an alignment mark on the cam cap and a mark on the sprocket as well... hope that helps.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it was a sure think for certain ford escourts to screw up the head if the timming belt breaks. I think most cars after that, even diesels were designed around that problem.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah im prety mush under stand the marks but a course the mark wont tell ya if number 1 is at tdc.so i guess ill pull a plug.and darn i need a puller to take or harmonic balnecer

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Raggie. Do you really need to pull the harmonic balancer?? Doesn't the cam belt cover come off in pieces and the belt will fit over the balancer and in between the crankshaft and the bottom part of the cover??? I don't know, just askin'

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there is no clearance with out its removal.al matal thingy is under the drive pulley for belt im all done now been done for a few hours man big fun lol working in dark on the street i dont have drive way in leafs..lol dang leaves kept falling covering my stuff.ty for all the help every one i was so afraid it was a inference motor. .i told my freind a while back replace timeing belt lol this time theyll listen to me.