Thor HID mod?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I've got my X990, I am hopelessly addicted to HID. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I'm thinking about getting a Thor and turning it into HID. I know there have been a few other posts about this, but a search turned up every thread with the word "thor" or "HID". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I think what I read about before was someone trying to use a DS2 bulb in the H4 Thor. What about those H4 HID conversions? They're designed to plug right into a car with H4 lamps with no modification necessary. Wouldn't the same be possible on a Thor? Has anybody tried that?

iddibhai

Enlightened
curious as to why you'd want to HID-mod the thor, the price of the mod itself greatly exceeding the light, esp when you can get a regulated overdriven newbie-mod that will put out a whole lotta lumens.

..well, a reasonable answer, anyway, other than the challenge of exploring the limits in true CPF fashion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because the battery will last significantly longer, with significantly more light. Anything other than HID with higher output will lower the battery life to around 15 minutes...

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
battery life, true, that. how well would it handle shock isolation?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience the D2S lamp is very durable and will take bumps and jolts just like a Halogen lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
sorry to drag this off topic but what about a multi-foci type reflector, or if the bridge array had each LS pointed at the focus point like how those very large mirror based telescopes work (or at the other end of the spectrum, DLP/DMD arrays)

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly doubt that would be very easy to find. By the time you get done with all the reflector and LED stuff, it would probably just be cheaper for HID. I doubt LEDs could ever match the throw of HID.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys think this H4 HID bulb would work?
p_030424_09624.jpg

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not built in, but it does come with one. It's designed to retrofit any H4 headlight. If it could work without too much trouble, I could probably do a group buy on them since they're made by the same company as the X990.