Another Mag mod

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
OK....
I've got a 2D Mag. I want to mod it to a lux III. I think i'm going to go with Elektrolumen's 6aa battery holder. I'm going to use Yaesumofo or Hotlips heatsinks (I don't know which one is better). I don't know what bin luxeon to use or where to get one. I'll also need a resistor, but I don't know which one. Can you guys point me to some threads? Any other info? Is this even a good idea?!?!?!?! Price is a concern. The cheaper, the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I went with a hotlips cuz that's what I found first.
I got a Hotlips with a TWOJ bin installed and Hotbeam was also nice enough to shove the thing into the sleeve for me since I have an OLD M^g 4C. That way I won't have to shove it in later and possibly damage the LED.
I decided to go for regulation so I'll be buying a downboy from the sandwich shop (thanks to CHOP for verifying which one I need). Not sure what an "ecan" is yet but he suggested I get one of those too.
Here's some links for you.

Hotlips link
KevinL's mod
Mr Bulk's mod

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got a 2D mag, you're better off using 3C cells. Get a piece of 1" schedule 40 pipe, cut it to length. That acts like a sleeve so the C-cells fit. Then, you'll need to sand off the andonizing off the inside of the tailcap, and trim down the spring so it fits inside. Then 3C cells will fit in the 2D body. If you're going to use a LuxIII with 3C cells, you can direct drive without worry.

6 AA cells isn't a good idea unless you use a DownBoy converter board. Otherwise, if you use a resistor to get it to work, you'll just burn off more power in the resistor than in the LuxIII, so it's not worthwhile. Stick to 3C cells - it's an easier mod and will last a good while.

Krit

Enlightened
Hi Kryosphinx , I think you should direct drive LuxV with the 6AA holder. It is very bright. Make the existing reflex to sputter for good soft light.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I second the 3C advice. I've done several of the 2D to 3C DD mods with K and L voltage bin Lux3 emitters and Hotlips heatsinks and they are really great lights. Easy to build, very bright, and good battery run time.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better yet, if you're going to do the mod, get yourself a 3D light. The D cells have almost twice the capactiy of the C cells (I think). While you're at it, you could get a chunk of aluminum the diameter of the tube of the Mag light and go with 3X Lux III's and three small reflectors. It will put out more light than a 5W mod and have a good throw. Mine will light up a 35 foot tall tree and about 80 yards.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Thanks for all that information guys!!!!
I have another question. If i were to do Mr. Bulk's Space Needle Mod, could i use the 6aa's instead of the three CR123's?