flashaholic rescues the day

iddibhai

Enlightened
this weekend i was the media guy for an anthropology conference on campus (basically assist the presenters get their show going, make sure no computer snafus and the like) in a 600-seat hall.

because of its size, there are three ~ 10*14 projection screens in the room; the left/right are front projection, and the center is rear projection. everything is digital, the boards, document camera, slides, etc.

unlh_1000_03.jpg

this room has been in operation since 2001 I think, and never has anyone used slides (the 35mm kind) to my knowledge. but it is equipped with 2 digital Elmo 35mm projectors.

well, as my luck would have it, one person today had a tray of slides, and her entire presentation was based on those 35mm slides. i'd never had any reason to use the Elmos before, so i set it up in the short break before she went on, turn it on, and "send" to all three screens. nada. it advances, so it is working, the fan's whirring too, iris opened up all the way, but no image! nooooooo! so i open up the side to check the lamp. its GONE. no lamp. ok, no worries, switch to the second slide projector. same deal: switched on, fan whirring, slides advance, iris opened, no image.

the lamp was burned out (filament appeared ok but brown haze on the lamp). uh oh. run back to the office, search thru the spare lamp cabinet, no dice. this is a small 12v 8w lamp. run to the "graveyard" equipment section, found an older Elmo, and pulled out the aging lamp (12v 6w).

now i should mention that due to the layout and size of the room, using standard 35mm projectors was out of the question: they would be too dim, and only be visible one side of the entire hall.

run back with this 6w lamp and a DMM (to see if socket was OK). socket ok, plug in this lamp, and it lights up....but so dim as to be useless.

a ha. i've got an E1e/KL1 in my pocket. stick that into the lamp housing, point it off axis (to get diffuse light) and see what happens. waaay to bright. CCD is gone purple from overload plus color temp issue (incand 3000k vs LS 8600K). no way to bring down the brightness level. 2D flashlights in office too bright, but boss has a pelican versalight headlamp in his desk, which i take, and it is just a bit on the bright side, but a bit of stopping down the iris, and voila, it works like a charm. had some extra batts but the show went on w/o a hitch, and no one was the wiser. boss-man was pleased to see flashaholic tendency saved our deparment some major embarrasment in front of big wigs like Duke, UCI/LA/U (where this was). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i was a happy camper rest of the day (esp after solving someone's big bad mac/quicktime problem).

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
To have been able to magic up a fix that worked so well is astonishing. For it to have occured in a 600 seat auditorium during a high visibility event is astounding. For the fix to require a flashlight makes it even better. For the flashlight to have been your boss's light makes your situation rescue brilliant.

Kudos to you.

iddibhai

Enlightened
heehee, i called him to ask if there was a secret stash of lamps, and when i told him my LED light didnt do it, he asked was it too dim? he hasn't seen my modded KL1, just the nichia based AA light I had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thankfully the pelican worked, or i'd have to resort to wrapping my handkerchief around my light to dim it (and deal w/ the funny color temp issues).

that made my day for sure. and this was just the flashlight deal (had to deal w/ iMovie/QT issues too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

too bad nothing required a knife, or the kershaw rainbow leek was ready for some action too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

last year, my AA from 5mm nichia based light came in handy to power a condensor lavelier mike for a studio recording session when we were still waiting for the AA delivery from campus stockhouse.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those projectors use 6-8 watt bulbs? Kind of dim arent they?

iddibhai

Enlightened
that's the thing, it's a very senstive CCD which picks up the image; even these 6-8w lamps had a shroud to prevent the filament from being in direct line-of-sight thru the slides to the CCD.

BBL

Enlightened
this is a really cool story... i guess afterward you felt like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

now everyone here has an excuse to spend 200+ bucks on flashlights with manual brightness-settings like Arc4/U2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif