is nuwai Q-III significant brighter than Inova T1

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
is nuwai Q-III significant brighter than Inova T1 ?

which one is build better?

which one would you choose?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough question. I'm trying to decide myself. I'm leaning towards the QIII, because it is shorter then the T1. I carry my lights IWB, so anything too long pokes me in places I don't need to be poked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Still trying to decide. I don't know what I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I'm also looking at the 7 LED, Peak light, but I don't know if it is any brighter then my Inova X5t. If Peak would just release their 3watt "Volcano" series.

Blades

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blades said:
I'm also looking at the 7 LED, Peak light, but I don't know if it is any brighter then my Inova X5t. If Peak would just release their 3watt "Volcano" series.

[/ QUOTE ]

My green LED Inova X5T is brighter than my 7 green LED High-Power Peak McKinley.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Re: is nuwai Q-III significant brighter than Inova

Can't say for sure, but brightguy lists the Inova T1 as having a 1.5W LED, and the Q-III is a Lux 3W, so I would certainly think so.

I should be getting 2 of the Nuwais in a few days- hoping one will ride inconspicuously next to my cell phone. Not many will.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hate this question, especially since you're comparing two completely different technologies.

Okay, the scoop:

- The Inova T1 is a LuxI-equipped light, which has a 1.5" long TIROS optic which focuses the light from the LuxI to project a small spot some distance away, and is powered by one 123 cell. The runtime on this light is supposed to be 2.5 hours, and it has a clickie-switch which has lockout capability (you turn it enough so you can't press the switch in anymore, IIRC).

- The Nuwai Quantum-III uses an ~20mm reflector with a LuxIII, and is powered by one 123 cell with a bright runtime that can vary between 60-90 minutes before it starts to taper off significantly, for an approximate total runtime between 2-3 hours depending on the Vf of the Luxeon III you got in your light. The switch is a simple reverse-clickie, and it has no natural 'lock out' capability, though it's pretty hard to accidentally turn it on due to the reverse-clickie anyways.

Two completely different technologies involved here - LuxI with optics versus LuxIII with reflectors. The optics will send more of the light forward in a spot, but the reflector provides a good hotspot with a corona for close-to-medium ranges. Also, the LuxIII tends to provide a bit more light at the currents it's driven at, in my experience. But your milage may vary, depending on the bin of the LED in your Q-III. Also, the reflectors allow the Q-III to be around 3.8" long, which makes it VERY easy to carry in one's pocket (in the sheath) or on one's belt without attracting a lot of attention - the T1's 4.59" length makes that a lot more difficult.

The Peak Volcano and Hurricane series are supposed to be out sometime in the beginning of 2005, but the Ocean series of lights is undergoing preliminary testing right now, according to DallasA of Peak LED Solutions. So if you're waiting for those.. wait longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They don't list whether the Ocean, Volcano, and Hurricane lights are 1x123 or 2x123 cells anyways.

Build-wise, the Inova has superior build quality, IMO, but the difference is not that significant. I've used the XO and XO3, and while those lights felt solid... the TIROS optic added WAY too much length for me to comfortably carry day in and day out, though the throw with the TIROS is remarkable. If I was outside and needed the range, I could probably use the TIROS. In the city, I prefer the Q-III's shorter range as it provides more usable light within a higher angle of illumination.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened

So, uhhh.. ok.. which one is brighter?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Ignore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rastaman

Newly Enlightened

thank you Hässlich for this great infomation.

I think i'll get the Q III.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

That answer to that question is 'what range are you using it at'? If you need to throw across a few hundred yards, the T1 will be brighter. If you're looking at someone from 10 feet away, the Q-III will be brighter. If you need to find a book you dropped on the ground, the Q-III would be a better choice due to the spread of light it provides. If you need to spotlight something at some distance without spilling light all over the target to alert it, the collimating optics of the T1 are better.

rastaman

Newly Enlightened

no, i'll use it in 10, max. 20 meters range. for real great ranges, i got a KL1 today.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rastaman said:
no, i'll use it in 10, max. 20 meters range. for real great ranges, i got a KL1 today.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, you'll be fine with the Q-III. Unless you need the spotlight, I wouldn't pack the T1... and honestly, I'd rather get a T3 or XO3, which would be a lot brighter at range. The T2's five-hour runtime on a LuxI is worth looking at, though, if you can stand the extra length.

Remember - the Luxeon Lottery is alive and well with the Q-III's. If you get a 'good' one (low Vf of J-bin or thereabouts), you'll probably get 90 minutes of bright light before it starts dimming. If you got a 'bad' one (higher Vf like L-bin), it'll cut off after 60 minutes and won't come back on, no matter what you do.

However, there is one advantage to those bin of lights - they're perfect for rechargable 123-cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The r123's will drive them harder (and brighter), and as long as you change batteries once the light starts dimming, you're safe.

Krit

Enlightened

So that QIII is seem to be varies of BINS. How do we know the BINS of QIII before buying.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Krit said:
So that QIII is seem to be varies of BINS. How do we know the BINS of QIII before buying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer - you don't. That's why it's the Luxeon Lottery, and even big companies like Surefire have to play them with their $200 flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So far, they seem to be moving between K and L-binned Luxeons, in the S-range flux-level, to judge from what I've seen and heard from people who've taken their Q-III's apart.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
I hate this question, especially since you're comparing two completely different technologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you know how us flashaholics are!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blades

Niteowl

Enlightened

The "Luxeon Lottery" is what's keeping me from buying a third Q-III.

My first one does the "shut down dead" thing, don't know run time but I used it for three weeks prior to shut down. At first I thought it was broke as I had dropped it four feet onto concrete the night before! I put the second one on the shelf for future use but may have to burn one just to see. Mabey next time I sit out by the fire pit, I'll drop in a $1 B.S. litho and see what happens.

I think it's a great little light and recommend it. Would be nice if mine "powered down" though. If you win "the lottery", that's even better.

Mark

stockae92

Enlightened

actually, The "Luxeon Lottery" is what's keeping me from buying my FIRST Q-III

and i am not too crazy about the reverse clicky

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened

I always wondered why someone didn't implement the "auxiliary tank" paradigm...

Have a regulated head running off of 1x123 (for example) on a body containing 2x123 side by side, each with it's own cap.

Run cell A down as far as you're comfortable with under the circumstances, then switch to cell B on the fly, and change cell A whenever convenient (without losing light). When B starts to fail, switch back to A, and change cell B whenever convenient. The built-in redundancy and feedback would seem to be more valuable for the same weight/bulk than the current practice of just doubling runtime.

Actually, the orignal concept was two tubes with two AA's each, and two switchable heads (one on each end) in case of bulb failure, but LEDs and better cells have made a lot of that obsolete.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened

Which is brighter? Probably the Q-III. Which appears brighter? The T1, at least at moderate distance.

The Q-III has fantastic flood, whereras the T1 does not. The T1 has more throw.

At a distance of about 10 feet, the T1 appears brighter because of the more focused hotspot. The Q-III is putting out more light, but the hotspot is not as bright.

At least, that's how it looks to me. I'm not a flashlight genius like others on CPF, I'm just a guy. But I'm learning! I'm a guy who followed the advice of CPFers everywhere... "Buy both!"

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

I've had my Q-III for a couple of weeks now, and I love it! The amount of overall light is dead-on perfect for my everyday needs. And for me, there's more than enough throw for an EDC.

I'm still new to all of this, and with the less-than-sophisticated flashlights, which I had typically used in the past, I get a real kick over the amount of light being generated by such a small flashlight as the Q-III!

In spite of my previous flashlight naivite'...to my credit, for years I have carried either a Photon or Pulsar on my keychain...and for what they are, they still hold up pretty darn well! In addition to the Q-III (which is my newest purchase), I have also recently picked up two other fairly small Luxeons, both of which are not too shabby (especially for the price), but a little too large for EDC use,...the "Dorcy 1 watt", and a "Black Diamond 3X N, 3 watt".

There are times when I do wish the Q-III had a two-way switch (I've read of at least one guy doing this mod)...Sometimes you just don't want such a very bright light!!! (Especially for my bedside table...As an extremely conscientious, very well controlled, 30-year Type I diabetic, I often wake up in the middle of the night and need to test my blood sugar, and maybe even take a small shot of insulin. The last thing I want to do is click on one of the Luxeons in my pitch black bedroom and be temporaily blinded! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif So for that purpose, I picked up one of those little $6.99, Dorcy AAA's at Target. It's just the right amount of light, and I can hold it in my mouth so as to free up both hands).

I wear one of my folding knives in a small pouch on my belt, every day...even when I'm in suit and tie. I position it on the right side so that when my arm drops down to my side, the knife becomes quite inconspicuous. So it was no big deal when I decided to start wearing the Q-III in it's tiny, black nylon pouch, side-by-side with my knife.

BTW- As most folks know by now, the clip on the Q-III is positioned so as to be almost useless. Since I'm using the pouch anyway, the clip doesn't matter to me. But I found that every time I put the Q-III back in the pouch, it was a bit of a hassle because the clip had a tendency to catch on the edge. The solution was easy...Using a #5 Torx driver I simply removed the clip...problem solved! Not only does it slide much more easily into the pouch, but without the clip it's even smaller and lighter than before! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

My Q-III is the approximate equal of my VIP on medium and runs on high for about 90 minutes before dropping into moon mode. I have two more on order and hope the luxeon lottery will continue to favor me. Excellent little light and I agree about with Dennis about that clip which I removed with a Torx 5.

Interesting how a light can be so well designed in general but suffer small but frustrating design faults that keep it from being outstanding. (Clip, reverse clicky, non tail-standing button)

Brightnorm