Lambda Mini Pro vs BadBox Next Gen?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that Wayne is finally offering the Next Gen sandwich, how do they compare? (650mAh version, since the MiniPro is 650mAh)

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering the same thing! Some posts mentioned that the MiniPro can be focused, haven't read anything yet about BadBoy Next Gen.

The MiniPro is not available. I have money to spend, but I can't get one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hard to compare something that is unavailable.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering when this subject would come up. I just started testing them both to see the similarities and differences.

From what information I've reamed out now I'd say the two MiniMag electronics and reflector are close, very close.

I get lux readings of Nexgen 731 and MiniPro 825. But that doesn't say much because the reading tell only what the reflectors are doing and not the emitters or the actual beam.

Like my Ghetto Light Box reads- At the start the Nexgen reads 23.01 light units and the MiniPro reads 26 light units. But the peak is only for the first 3 minutes then the run plateau starts. Nexgen is 20.5 light units and the MiniPro is 20.8 light units on the plateau of the graph.

Close, very close. I haven't tested the current of the two lights yet. Tonight I will. Maybe a comparison beam shot too.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I could add in the run times of the two lights. Using 1800mAh NiMH batteries I get a run time of 85 minutes with the NexGen and 86 minutes with the MiniPro. Calculating the inital current readings gives NexGen 1271mAh and the MiniPro 1256mAh. Again, very close.

So far I can see the biggest difference between the two is the price of the kits.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll pay a little more for the Badboy since it is availible. Does the badboy have a reliable twist on switch like the lambda, or will that ruin the 3W Lux?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Badboy mod will leave the MiniMag stock looking. Both the Badboy and the MiniPro use the twisting head of the light to switch on and off. I have to use an addition Kroll switch for the NexGen.

Both electronics work well with a cut down MiniMag and 14500 cells.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a problem with the Sandwiches EXCEPT the NexGen with the reflector. I can see why. The reflector feet can't stand the strain of the twist top and will snap off. Ask me how I know? I bent two of the reflector legs last night because by habit I'm used to twisting the MiniMag head. It is OK now- I ended making the legs a lot stronger now by stretching plastic model "spruce" and gluing them on all the legs. Basically I put splints on all the legs and those legs are real tough now.

But using the Kroll NexGen with the reflector is mandatory.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 17mm IMS reflector is used. You can also option the Nexgen with a Fraen LP or NX05 optic. The MiniPro uses a modified stock reflector.

nexgen_minipro_bb650_electronics.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My Lambda LUX3 pill in a minim*g is a bit tighter of beam and wider of spill than my XM3. It makes the Lambda APPEAR brighter...

The XM3 is REALLY handy around the house however!

Due to the fact that the XM3 is about an inch longer and roughly 50% thicker, I will continue to EDC the Lambda Mini. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif