Luxeon bulb replacement for Maglite Rechargeable

gewe

Newly Enlightened
Is there a Luxeon bulb replacement for the Maglite Rechargeable? I can find several replacements for C and D cell Maglites, but not for the Rechargeable.

Heath

Newly Enlightened
Though it's feasible to convert the MagCharger to a luxeon it makes a better platform for a hotwire mod. In fact, with a pack of 5 Aero 1/2D cells and a WA1160 it's just about perfect. It already comes with a heat-resistant lens and reflector and a bi-pin base and will put out over 500 lumens.

If you really want a rechargeable luxeon-based maglite, it's probably best to convert a standard D or C torch with a hotlips and a nimh pack.

gewe

Newly Enlightened
Re: Luxeon bulb replacement for Maglite Rechargeab

[ QUOTE ]
Heath said:
Though it's feasible to convert the MagCharger to a luxeon it makes a better platform for a hotwire mod. In fact, with a pack of 5 Aero 1/2D cells and a WA1160 it's just about perfect. It already comes with a heat-resistant lens and reflector and a bi-pin base and will put out over 500 lumens.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really what I am looking for. I want at least the same amount of light as with the standard bulb, with longer battery runtime, and longer lamp life.

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want a rechargeable luxeon-based maglite, it's probably best to convert a standard D or C torch with a hotlips and a nimh pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have a Maglite Rechargeable, so this is not an option for me.

gewe

Newly Enlightened

The battery pack is made of 5 1/2-D NiCd cells, so it will be 6V (and 2200mAh according to the specs).

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone know if a Hotlips, or an Osink will fit in that?
If so, A direct drive luxeon5 ought to be pretty close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Heath

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
gewe said:
That's not really what I am looking for. I want at least the same amount of light as with the standard bulb, with longer battery runtime, and longer lamp life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can build your own pack, you can get 5 aero 4AH NiMH which will almost double your battery life with the stock bulb. You can pick up WA01160s from flashlightlens.com for about $5 each. With the greater current of the 1160, you'll get about 50% better battery life with a nimh pack than a stock bulb with a stock pack. This setup will yield about 500 lumens and cost less than a single luxV emitter, which will yield about 120 lumens.

[ QUOTE ]
I already have a Maglite Rechargeable, so this is not an option for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a 2D or 3D Maglite host would add about $20 to the cost of whatever you choose to do. Given the relative cost of the Magcharger ($100) and the parts to do a LuxV mod (!$65), this isn't very signficant.

For a LuxV (5 watts, 120 lumens) mod, you're going to need an O-sink or a Hotlips for about $15 then you'll need an emitter, which will set you back about $30 or more, if you can find one. Then, if you want to do a current regulated setup, which I would prefer, that'll set you back another $15-20. On top of that, the 2-piece reflector assembly in a Magcharger is setup such that it'd be difficult to modify to fit around an O-sink or a hotlips.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

something tells me this guy aint talkin about the MagCharger, i think hes talking about Mag's rechargeable lites.

neg

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

just looked up the Mag Rechargeable - its about the same diameter as the Mag D. an osink mite fit....

neg