Plug-in blackout lights

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi - I've totally ignored this topic, since I EDC and have lanterns for the purpose. However, I have a non-flashaholic friend who's interested in lights he can have plugged into sockets around the house that will come on in case of a power outage.
I've tried searching, but I'm not hitting pay dirt - the terms I'm using are just way too broad.
So, for those who've researched this topic, what lights would you recommend (to a non-flashaholic, but a bit of a technogeek), and do you have any especially good sources for purchasing them?
Thanks
Dave

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these ...... Coleman Emergency Light

Got mine at Walmart for cheaper than the one on the link I found. It works ok, if the lights go out it gives me enough light to get around the living room without knocking my knees into the furniture. These stay off until the power goes off, they don't do double duty as a nightlight. They have a weenie beam, but for what it is, not too bad.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have wall maounted emergency lights that turn themselves on when the power goes out. Unfortunately, they turn on even when all the lights were already off. This is not good in a bedroom.

Rather than plug in (rechargable) lights, might not lithium based lights be a better choice? The batteries last for decades and have pretty impressive runtime.

Daniel

DaveT

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Gadget_lover, I agree - I prefer other options, but my friend was specifically asking about the plug-ins that come on when the power's out, so I posed the question.
Any issues/concerns with these lights, for the folks who have them or have checked them out?

watt4

Enlightened
last time I checked the flashlight section at Target, they had two different lights in this category (wall socket, come on when power fails, can be used as flashlight)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
one thing I have been playing with is an LED light I use to drain batteries. I have it set up with a resistor at set to 4ma output through its 4led board and when night vision kicks in I can see enough to navigate everywhere in a 300 square foot room. Using nimh AAs this light would last weeks without a recharge perhaps months. I have a flourescent battery powered 4watt touch light next to it that I can read by to find other flashlights with if needed.

Ratso

Enlightened
The Streamlight LiteBox Power Failure system sounds like what you need. It comes on automatically during a power failure from a wall mountable charger. The light head is adjustable up and down to direct it to light an area when mounted. It is also removeable from its charger to function as any standard lantern. It is available with spot or flood reflectors and with 8 or 20 Watt Halogen bulbs.

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=STR45131
http://www.streamlight.com/litebox_specifications.htm

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
specifically asking about the plug-ins that come on when the power's out

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things,

1) probably don't want one in a sleeping area, They wake you up even if the power is only off 30 seconds
2) don't want one with an audible alarm.

Many of them only run a short time (by CPF standards). They are slow to recharge and almost never have replacable batteries. They are best thought of as a light you use to find a real light/lantern.

Daniel

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, actually I would like a light that wakes me up when the power fails. What if the power is not restored before it is time to go to work, alarm does not go off. Hmmmm, something that might be useful to me someday.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Target sell one that i like. It's a four inch fluorescent plug in wall outlet power fail light. I bought it a while back and paid $12.95 for it.

Be sure you tell your friend these should not be the only lights he owns as they only last for an hour and then your in the dark again.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my mobile (cell phone) as an alarm, so if the power is out, I still get woken up. Therefore I think I'd prefer no to get woken up in a power outage. Of course, if it's still out in the morning, somebody's going to pay when I can't make a coffee!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
My major concern with these lights is that if say, the power goes off a couple hours before you get home, they light up, but may be all run down by the time you get home and need them. Maybe if they had LED's to give better runtime, and a brighter incandescent that you manually switch on. Also, they should make these things built right into ceiling light fixtures where they would actually be more useful than in a wall socket. (assuming you have ceiling lights).

Steve C

Enlightened
<<...a light you use to find a real light/lantern...>>

Agreed. I've had two of these so-called "power-out" lights; one by Black & Decker and one by I forget whom. They look impressive to the uninitiated (the wife, who bought them on impulse at Sam's). Both were el cheapos, but not price-wise. The B&D was thirty bucks; add tax and you've got a G2.

The Black & Decker, designed to double as a flashlight, lasted about six months before dying. While it lasted, it worked well enough and actually had a decent beam. The other one broke within two weeks.

The StreamLight unit looks to be good. Match it with a couple of quality LED lights kept on a handy spot, and you're ready for around-the-house blackouts.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing most of us have lots of lights to use once we get to them. Just need the automatic light for the failure. Now the friend who is not a flashaholic. Tell him he needs a good flashlight to use to back up his powerfailure lights.

Tell him he needs to use rechargable batteries in the flashlight for daily use and to have a dozen 123s for when the failure occurs.

Power fails, power failure occurs, use the light from them to find the flashlight. Go get his Pila Flashlight with Pila batteries that he has been using when he needs a standard flashlight. Select appropriate brightness light, the bright but high drain incan beam or the dimmer but long lived led tail. The Pila light can be used as a candle with the led tail facing into the air. Next locate the dozen 123s. When the rechargable batteries run down, start using the 123s. Again the high drain Incan head when needed and the led tail in candle mode or when not as bright of a light is needed.....sorry..had to make my plug.

wwglen

Enlightened
I have a LED nightlight with a backup power failure feature. Uses 3 alkiline AA's (They are not charged only switched on when the power fails).

I think I got it at big lots but it might have been walmart.

wwglen

DaveT

Enlightened
You guys are right on the light only being good as a stopgap...I picked up those Innovage 12-LED lanterns for several friends when I finally found a store selling them - mini group buy. So he has two of those, but I think he's intrigued by the idea of a rechargeable light that turns itself on the second the power's out.
He first asked me my opinion about these:
Rechargeable lamps
But I really didn't/don't know what to tell him. Seems kinda expensive for the functionality they offer...I'd prefer several strategically placed PAL lights, where if the power went off you could find them, then get to your lanterns/better lights.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
those candles are neat looking but about twice to three times the price for the functionality they give. You would be better suited to buy a 2led energizer lantern and a pack of lithiums for it, a 10.00 9watt flourescent lantern with batteries, a UK4AA eled with batteries and a couple of dorcy AAAs

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
hmmm, actually I would like a light that wakes me up when the power fails. What if the power is not restored before it is time to go to work, alarm does not go off. Hmmmm, something that might be useful to me someday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Idea: a charge-in-place light, any normal CIP light like the MagCharger or SF 10X Dominator, cabled to a computer uninterruptible power supply (UPS). My APC UPS has a very shrill alarm that turns on after 30 seconds of power loss. It doesn't turn on earlier to prevent extremely short outages or false alarms. You can set that though.