LED lightbulb wins PopSci award

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
AZ based manufacturer Enlux won a Popular Science award for their LED replacement bulb, designed for use in house lighting fixtures.

"...First, it removed diodes from their individual plastic housings and clustered them on the surface of a small circuit board, known as a light engine. The board dissipates more heat than an array of separately packaged bulbs, so more LEDs can be crammed inside the lamp..."

Full article here

Product page here

What i find most interesting is that they use red, green, blue and amber dies to blend the colour output.

Ratso

Enlightened
Wow! 22 Watt LED giving off as much light as a 50 Watt bulb? That's impressive!

Wouldn't using R,G&B LED's help increase efficiency, since most colored LEDs are more efficient than white?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swear I recall reading this article before.

mdrejhon

Newly Enlightened
>>Wouldn't using R,G&B LED's help increase efficiency, since most colored LEDs are more efficient than white?

They are! The white Enlux LED bulbs use microcontrolled R/G/B LED's instead of traditional white LED's! That's white is almost 3 times more efficient than incandescent already.

Incidentially, the blue Enlux lamp appears to be about 5-10 times more efficient than a blue-filtered incandescent floodlight!

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
http://www.marky.com