Forever Bright Xmas light dead.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I have a string of white Forever Brights that I took out of storage today, and they are completely dead. They were new last year. The etire string is dead. Of course I can't find the receipt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif What would cause the whole string to die?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
depending on the way they are wired... series/parallel or combination could be a broken wire. First place I would look is the plug. Sometimes there are fuses built into plugs and the fuse gets broken. If it isn't the fust pull out your meter and start checking.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Did you check the expiration dates?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will now go and sit in the corner of a very dark room "without" any of my flashlights!

EricB

Enlightened
I had the white die on me 2 years ago when I first got it. It seemed juggling it made it flash back on for a second, and thaen that was it. So it must be a wire problem. I still had the receipt, so exchanged it. I'll have to think of this and be careful when taking it off and putting it back on the plastic loom it comes on.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, isnt that the point to go led to avoid problems with bulbs and what not? Sorry to hear that.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The warranty period is 5 years.
Newer sets are designed so that there is no seperate bulb socket to come loose. Of course, this also means you can't change the LED if one of them goes ****-up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

EricB

Enlightened
But these are not problems in the bulb sockets or the LED's themselves. It's the wiring. So it makes no difference whether the bulb can be replaced or not.
This is the way it is with LED's. It's no longer the bulbs that blow, but the circuitry that goes bad. Every new LED sign that goes up in Times Sq. (and there seems to be new ones going up every few months; especially with the new buildings being built and finished), the next time I see it; patches are malfunctioning. It's not the diodes, but the probably the circuitry. I guess with the LED's giving off no heat, the circuitry is more likely to freeze or be damaged by wet weather, etc.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
It makes sense that it's the wiring ....my wife used this string in a wreath, about 20" in diameter. The string was subjected to a bit of twisting and manipulation, nothing severe though.

I think most of us got excited about LED Xmas lights because we assumed they could take a bit of "abuse" relative to regular lights. It seems we we still have to treat them gingerly.

From the ForverBright website....."The guarantee specifically excludes electrical wiring." What a pile of crap.