Luxeon Televisions

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
I was reading a computer mag (CPUmag I think...or maybe MaximumPC) and they mentioned new LCD televisions coming out.

Whereas a major manufacturer (maybe Sony) is working on using Luxeons for back lighting!

See here web page

Sorry for the lack of specifics but I read it a couple of days ago!

Bob

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw that article awhile back, they are also considering luxeons for backlighting laptop screens also.
I wouldn't hold your breath on sony though...
they are not a value brand and you get less than what you pay for with them... and their monitor repair is horrible.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
DLP is where it's at for HDTV anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

DLP is certainly neat, and I personally am a strong believer in front projection TV for large High Definition TV. Unfortuneately, the TV show producers and cable TV firms decided to implement relatively low definition versions of HDTV (I think there are something like 11 "standards"), and renamed it DTV (digital TV) so they could sell the extra bandwidth as cable internet.

This is good for internet access, but IMHO, pretty much eliminated the real driving force toward consumer acceptance of changing TV standards. DTV is better, but not enough for me to willingly pay more for it.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats wrong with CCFL for laptops??? I rather wait for OLED myself.

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
I certainly agree with DLPs. Samsung blew the market away with that a couepl years ago.

Bob

[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
DLP is where it's at for HDTV anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Whats wrong with CCFL for laptops??? I rather wait for OLED myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Laptops usually have distinctly different specs for the display than large screen home TV. Usually, laptops are viewed at rather close range, have higher resolution, and are optimized for specific viewing angle and brightness range.

Large Screen TVs, even at the highest spec of the HDTV spec family, are lower resolution than most people will accept in a laptop, but the color quality and ability to deal with motion is much tougher.

The primary motivations for LED in very large screen TV's are usually the extreme challenge of trying to achieve even color balance over the entire screen (it takes many, exactly color matched tubes), and tube lifetimes where this color balance held was starting to approach 2 years.

The effect of this on TV makers, is that if someone had the $ to buy a 40 + inch flat screen, they were always impressed by plasma performance (at the higher cost) and the real problem of a potential CCL tube replacement after 2 years of use is a problem.

OLEDs are going to be primarily for 6 inch and less screens for at least 3 more years. Due to the fact that Win OS runs most pixels "bright", OLED will not have a power savings over LCD in most laptop applications, although it might for TV. I like OLED a lot, but I cannot see it ever becoming cheaper than LCD. - but stranger things have happened.

The TV market is quite fragmented technologically, and I will make no claim to be particularly tied to one technology or another. My personal experience is that if you want a great picture at low cost - get a CRT.

Plasma picture quality still usually has an edge over LCD, but with LED backlight, it is approaching a dead heat for home use. (these are truly amazing)

Large flat screen - I would use a front projector, DLP if it is bright enough. Bulb costs can be significant. (My wife has not bought into this yet.)

Just some personal opinions - certainly there are experts out there.

hpcjerry

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:Unfortuneately, the TV show producers and cable TV firms decided to implement relatively low definition versions of HDTV (I think there are something like 11 "standards"), and renamed it DTV (digital TV) so they could sell the extra bandwidth as cable internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what it is like in pleasanton, but pretty much all the major cableco's are carrying "real" HDTV channels now (1920x1080i and 1280x720p) - typically this means all the over-the-air stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, UPN, WB and some of the premium channels like showtime, hbo, cinemax and a few inbetweeners like discovery and ESPN plus some HD-only channels like HD-net and of course there is also pay-per-view. Few channels are 100% HDTV content, but there is PLENTY of HDTV material out there to watch. I myself only watch HDTV for domestic television, there is enough of it (and none of it is "reality tv") that I have more than enough high quality (visual and story) shows to fill my tv watching time.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:
Unfortuneately, the TV show producers and cable TV firms decided to implement relatively low definition versions of HDTV (I think there are something like 11 "standards"), and renamed it DTV (digital TV) so they could sell the extra bandwidth as cable internet.

This is good for internet access, but IMHO, pretty much eliminated the real driving force toward consumer acceptance of changing TV standards. DTV is better, but not enough for me to willingly pay more for it

[/ QUOTE ]
The bandwidth available on cable is being heavily taxed as-is even without the (relatively) miniscule bandwidth of cable internet. The cable & satelite providers have to compress the HDTV signal in order to get all their channels in. Cable internet bandwidth might amount to all of one HD channel.

SHAMELESS (OH SO SHAMELESS) SELF-SERVING PLUG
There is an alternative coming - Fiber To The Premises. Let's just say that the useable bandwidth in a single strand of fiber is more than enough to broadcast all the uncompressed HDTV channels you'd ever want.

Hm. No information about video yet. I guess that has to wait for it to get past the test market.

hpcjerry

Newly Enlightened
The satellite guys recompress their HDTV channels, but the cableco's have tons of downstream bandwidth and have no need to recompress the HDTV channels that they carry. One maxed out HDTV channel is only 19.2Mbits/sec and most HDTV streams don't sustain anywhere near that data-rate (they pad it with easily compressed null packets to maintain 19.2Mbps on the output to your tv is all).

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The luxeon guys have been chasing this market since day one. There is a data sheet somewhere on their site that covers the replacing of the CCFL tube with luxeons that I read a year or more ago.

The problem with OLED as HarryN already mentioned is that the brighter the screen is the more power it uses. I don't mean the brightess setting, but the number of lit pixels. Right now i'm looking at a Mac screen that is probably 75 to 80% white or very light colors and so would use as much or more power than a backlight that is just on all the time.

one thing that will be nice about luxeons in a laptop screen is that a little bit of flex will be less likely to pop a tube, and since they take little room themselves it's easier to imagine a hinge between 2 rows of them allowing a fold out screen. And since you don't have to run them at very high voltages like a CCFL you get some efficiency gain in not having an inverter (although a buck power supply will be necessary, but these are generally MUCH more efficient than a boost supply) And PWM to dim the screen will be much simpler too.

I really do think that we will see LED or Luxeon lit LCD displays for computers and TV's catch on quite a bit before some of the more exotic solutions come into real competition with it.

*Retired*
Sony, Samsung, and NEC/Misubishi all have Luxeon backlit monitors, the increased color gamut is nice. The largest Luxeon backlit display I have seen is 40".

NEC-Mistubishi has been showing off their first units, intended for medical and printers (printers can always use better displays), as standard monitors, and LCDs with CCFLs cannot reproduce all the colors needed. These units cover a much larger color gamut, and the colors are alot more vivid.

Here is a page on it in English:

http://compoundsemiconductor.net/articles/news/8/8/16

You can see Samsung's units here:
http://www.investors.com/breakingnews.asp?journalid=22771735

Here is the link to the NEC-Mitsubishi Electronics unit:

http://www.NECus.com/companies/17/NECMITS_LED_LCD_Display_SID.pdf

For alot more information, visit this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=757064

Teaser shot from the thread:
luxback.jpg