Anybody know leather products??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I just received a very expensive leather jacket for use on duty.It was made by a company out of Tennessee called Taylors Leatherwear that produce jackets solely designed for police work.My question is what should I do to ensure this jacket remains in this new condition?I have heard that if it is not treated first it may spot or discolor when exposed to rain or weather.I also would like to ensure it keeps its suppleness and flexability.Does anyone here know anything about quality leather products and their care?...what are some good products I can treat this material with and can they be purchased at my local stores(WalMart,Target,Academy Sports)...I do have some saddle soap stuff here that I use on my boots but I feel this would not apply to this material...any help would be appreciated.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I've had at least four leather jackets over the last decade and a half. The one suede was the only one I actually treated with a protector. The thick polished cowhide type are pretty durable. With no treatment they have lines but no actual cracking. (I never babied them, they got wet.) I might have used saddle soap on my first polished jacket (once or twice?) and it still looks fine. (hein gericke with stainless steel mesh padding, expensive piecework jacket I got for cheap at a half-price sale.) I think a friend used saddle soap on a regular basis (Harley Davidson jacket) and never suffered any ill effects.

In general, leather doesn't like to dry out and likes it's pores clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think a damp/moist cloth followed by a dry one can go a long way IMO.

My latest is sheep/lamb and it's really thin, so I don't know how it's going to hold up. (they aren't getting any cheaper either..)

I'd probably use a "leather valet" (people who can professionally clean leatherwear)if I was worried about it. We had a couple around but I never used them. Otherwise I'd call the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend. Also a big leather chain like Wilson's probably has some decent products.

They're really tough though, that's all I've bought for personal use since the first one. Enjoy!

note: I also recall hearing they made some types of processing illegal here in the states. I think it had to do with the dye chemicals/method. Might be worth checking into in case they don't keep their color like they used to under certain circumstances.