Interesting Inova X1 issue w/ NiMH

HesNot

Enlightened
I recently acquired an X1 mostly just to check it out - like the form factor and the switch (I like the intermittent button) and build quality. However, when I loaded a fully charged Everready 2100 ma NiMH in it appeared that the switch was - well - dodgy. When you twist it would light but as you twist slightly further it would stop lighting. The intermittent button was equally sensitive to distance.

Just for larks I put in a fresh AA alkaline and it works flawlessly. I'm guessing the contacts on the NiMH which are slightly shorter than the alkaline don't maintain solid contact on the spring loaded front of the Inova. Kind of a downer since I like AA lights specifically since I power them with NiMH cells.

Anyone know if other brand NiMH have larger "buttons" or anyone else have success with NiMH cells in the X1?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I have several X1s and have had that problem with only one. I switched out the alkaline batts, but get the same problem. I find that if I whack the light against my knee it works perfectly for a long time. Then the next time I go to test it, dodgy. I've been lazy about sending it back to inova. They ask for 5$ for replacement.
--------------------
x1 poll

StuU

Enlightened
The Inova X1 has occasional problems with the positive contact.

My X1 did not work when new. Sending it back to the vendor was not economical...so I disassembled it by using the water/freezing method. Turns out that the problem was with the black plastic shroud in which the spring-loaded (+) positive contact sits. The plastic shroud was not smooth inside and the metal contact would hang up when the battery was pressed to on.

Reaming out the inside of the black plastic shroud solved the problem and the light works great now. May the contact with the NIMH doesn't have the same height as the AA and has a problem with the contact plate?

STEVENT6

Enlightened
I experienced that with some other lights I have. It was caused by using the batteries in a light (tech 40) and then using the batteries in other lights, in this case an infinity. What happened is the bottom of the batteries were dented from tightening the tech 40. And then they wouldn't work in the tech 40 or some other lights. You can check the bottoms of the rechargeable batteries, it doesn't seem to take much of a dent or an indentation to interfere.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Stu,
This question has not been answered yet. Was it easy to reassemble the X1? Any special steps?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you put a small piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of the light?? I have done that with a "short" battery.

Blades

STEVENT6

Enlightened
I didn't mention the foil part because I wasn't sure that was the problem. In my case I knew about the foil trick in advance, thanks to cpf. I no longer use the tech 40 (older version) bought the impact xl which is improved and has springs f/ battery contact. But to use those same batteries in the infinity I have to put a small folded piece of foil in it, which gets wedged in and doesn't fall out easily during battery change. But who wants to do that after spending a lot of money for a light? I've learned to keep packaging intact and to save receipts.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
STEVENT6 said:
But who wants to do that after spending a lot of money for a light? I've learned to keep packaging intact and to save receipts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true.

Blades

StuU

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
OK Stu,
This question has not been answered yet. Was it easy to reassemble the X1? Any special steps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Greenlight-
The disassembly and re-assembly of the Inova X1 is not a problem. The dissassembly just requires the filling of the battery compartment with water and then freezing in an upright position. It will take several freezings to press the bezel out.

The re-assembly is not a problem. Just stack the components back in the original order into the tube. Then press the stainless steel bezel lightly into the barrel. It is necessary to apply force to press the bezel solidly back into the barrel. A bench vise works well for this task.

With a bench vise re-assembly- Unscrew and remove the switch. Then cover the ends with a soft material to protect the flashlight from vise marks. A good soft wood like pine will work well here. Leather might also work OK. Then just slowly press the bezel back in.