Energizer 8AA torch, what bulb does it use?

Morgoth

Newly Enlightened
Hi I was wondering if any of you could tell me 1) what model of torch this is, and 2) what kind of bulb does it take? I was looking for a strong, bright torch to go exploring dark tunnels and abandoned buildings with, but the stuff available generally used only two large D batteries, and had fairly dim bulbs. The brightest torch I remember having as a kid was a Coleman light which had five kinds of light on it, including a really bright spotlight, and it ran on 4 AAs, so I reasoned that a good torch would probably run on at least 4 AAs and have a special bulb. So when I found this cheap Energizer torch in Poundstretcher (UK shop) which runs on no less than 8 AA size batteries and also has some sort of ultra bright special technology sort of bulb in it (I can't remember what, this is why I'm asking) I was happy. It hasn't let me down, it is quite a bright torch (although it doesn't last long with some batteries) - the only thing that worries me is that the bulb might blow at a crucial moment, but I don't know what the bulb is or what model of torch this is. I think that it may have been like a combination xenon krypton technology.. thing.. The bulb has little prongs on it, not like a screw fit bulb. A picture of the torch is below:

energizer_torch.jpg

Does anyone else have one of these by any chance?

Azreal911

Enlightened
Last i heard of this is that it runs basically 4aa's in parallel to the other aa's but at a higher amperage. So you should look around for some 4 cell bi pin bulbs. I wonder if the bulb for the scorpion or stream light task light fits this cause it'll be plenty bright and with batteries running in parallel it should easily handle the high drain.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the old Energizer Double Barrel series of lights. It has a very small Xenon incandescent bulb and a nice reflector. But the reflector couldn't help calm the very "ringy" beam from the miniature bulb. It came in versions taking AA and AAA batteries. The light was set up for two parallel circuits so you could run the light with just 2AA batteries.

It is well built. The battery configuration allows you to put the light down and it wouldn't roll away. On the 4AA Double Barrel I have it ended up with micro cracks in the one piece polycarbonate base that hooks to the head.

You can do a Google search for the light. Or there is a seller HERE.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always had hard time in finding replacement bulbs for the DB flashlights; it seems that Energizer didn't care of distributing them. In the DB 8AA you can use the bulb of the Streamlight Twintask 2L, or the Princeton Tec Surge, which are very easy to find.

Anthony

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Ah, the Energizer Double Barrel, 8AA.
Bulb- Energizer T2-4 or Welch Allyn #01288 rated at 5.5volts, .70 amps, 80 lumens. Great lights.

Check your private mail, and welcome to the forums.