Frustration with my LSH-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Help! Though I love my Arc LSH-P (I bought it as a second and its my favorite "gadget" in the world), it sometimes makes me nuts. Over the past year I have had 4 occasions when it simply turns off. It has the kroll clicky. I will be using the light and one moment its working great and the next, no light.

I had spoken in the past with Merri and she switched out the Kroll, but I don't think that's the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I love having my Arc in my pocket, knowing it will be there whenever I need it, but after the last couple of instances I am beginning to have doubts as to reliabilty. I'm a rather non-technical user.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Marshal Moroni

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
EchoSierra Two,

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at the switch and see if I have a fouling problem. However, my situation is not exactly any of the described problems.

My problem is that the light is functioning normally, then suddenly the light goes out. Stone cold out, no flicker, no dimming, just gone. Then it will come back on sometime later. It is very disheartening.

Marshal Moroni

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Doesn't the LS have a high temperature shutdown function? I seem to remember reading this somewhere. Never heard of it actually happening.

Geoff

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it could be an intermittent ground issue. The first thing I would check is that the metal reatainer ring is snug to the board. Don't overdo it though, bad things can happen if you make it too tight. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. I could then do further troubleshooting if it's not a contact issue.

Peter

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have seen the loctite wick under the wave washer and cause this kind of intermittant dead ls
if you can get the retainer out and scrape the loctite from the pcb ground,wave washer,and ring you may fix it.
just dont get carried away with tightening the ring.
just enough to compress the wave washer.any more and you risk smashing the luxeon.

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Greetings LitFuse / Peter,

I appreciate your offer of help. Like Blance Dubois, I have always relied on the kindness of strangers (Streetcar named Desire).

Just this evening I had my Arc on and noticed some dust on the lense, so I started to dust it off, you guessed it, the light went out. I played with the clicky a couple of times and put it in my pocket. After a few minutes I noticed a hot spot in my pocket. So I reached in and pulled it out. Yes it was hot, but no light was being emitted.

Help!!!

Please send me your address and I'll send up my Arc to you for you to take a look at, (I tried an email to your address in your profile, but it bounced back) hopefully it will be something simple. I am technically challenged and long distance learning won't work for me.

Again thank you for your kind offer.

Snakebite, Thanks you for your thoughts as well. This is one of the best boards I've ever run across.

Marty Martin (aka Marshal Moroni)

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Marty, Hmmm, hot LS with no light sounds like a shorted battery.

I got your e-mail, and replied with my address. Send it down and I'll have a look.

Peter

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever this has happened with my LS's it has been caused by the rubber ring inside the head which is used to stop battery rattle, which will only occur with a twistie tailcap. The rubber is just too dense and makes it difficult for the battery to contact the PCB. When I've removed the rubber ring the lights have always operated normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts