Newbie questions: SF throws, etc.

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Greetings All,

I have been lurking in the forums for quite some time, finally decided to join, so much useful info I had to jump in.

I hope someone can help with the following newbie questions listed below.

I currently own the following flashlights:

County Comm Inova X5T-HA III, Inova X1, Steamlight Twin Task 2L, and a MagLite 6D. I also have an Electro Lumens XM-3 on order since early September.

I am looking for something "pocket-sized" that has a lot of throw for taking walks at dusk/dawn and at night. If I hear something in the woods I would like to be able to see what it is. The pocket lights that I own now can't cut it. When camping I always used to take the Mag 6D, but it is just too big, but it had great throw to see what was going on in the forest.

I have been looking at the Surefire E20 and E2E, and possibly the E1E; will any of these SF lights have the throw of my Mag? Can someone also tell be what the bulb life is on SF bulbs?

Thanks for the help.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw is primarily a function of reflector size, and in this case I'd recommend the Aleph 1 or Aleph 3. The Aleph3 has a massive 38mm reflector, but how pocketable it is remains to be seen.

I recently traded someone a 4th-gen KL1 and he seems very happy with it - his usage pattern is similar to yours, outdoor walks in the woods. The benefit of the KL1 is the extremely small size compared to the larger Aleph reflectors. It achieves this by using an optical beam collimator (optic) instead of a reflector.

PS: Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd tell you to hide your wallet but it seems the damage has already been done.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
you can compare the throw of the SureFire E2x with the throw distance of a MAG 3D, but with much more light thrown to this distance.

there is also the Streamlight TaskList TL-2 Xenon. this light will equal a 5D MAG in throw.

If size of the Flashlight is not a problem, i prefer the slightly larger (vs the E2e) Peli M6 Xenon. it's a real thrower!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the E2E substantially smaller than your 2L TwinTask? I have the Twin Task and a G2 (I haven't been able to bring myself to pay for a metal SureFire though the L1 would likely be my first). Just to clarify, are you wanting something itty bitty but plenty bright (Nuwai Quantum III) or something sized like the 2L TwinTask perhaps a bit smaller but with better throw?

I've owned several lights and even before I came here, I thought the Mags could be greatly improved. I own lights with more total output but when I want throw, I'm pretty sure my Mag 4D is still the best light I own. Lights like the Legend LX, G2 and Surge are very impressive for lots of light in a small, economical package, but for pure throw, I still think the 4D is great.

To best answer your question, if I'm out walking at night and I want a bright light, I'd take the Surge. Along with a couple smaller lights but for a true pocket light (ie smaller than 2L sized which would also eliminate 2AA lights) I haven't found anything that is in the same class. I don't own any of the lights from the super small companies such as McGizmo.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to check, I revisited Dougs Throw chart. Be sure to read his description of throw vs total output.

http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/articles/output_vs_throw/chart_throw.htm

The top rankings are:

230 Vector Spotlight
145 Surefire 10X on High
113 Bright Star Responder 4C
98 Mag 4D
98 Streamlight Stinger
94 Princeton Tec Surge
94 Streamlight TL-3
91 Birght Star Responder 4AA
85 Stremlight Strion

These are relative numbers and are meant for comparison on HIS page only... you have to read up on what the numbers actually mean.

Looks like the Responder 4AA and the Strion probably offer the best throw in a 'smaller' package. The Responder would be awesome if it had a different reflector. The Strion is a great overall light (one of the very best in my opinion) though is still a tad large for pocked carry... it's just a hair smaller than the 2L TwinTask though obviously brighter and having MUCH better throw.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:Is the E2E substantially smaller than your 2L TwinTask?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I bought the TT 2L first, and then an L4. I was amazed at how small and light the L4 felt.

The specs look fairly close, but, subjectively in the hand, the L4 feels like about two-thirds the size and almost half the weight.

The E2e is smaller still. I imagine it would be a huge difference especially in "pocketablity".

Of course, I just got the Nuwai Q-III, and it makes the L4 seem sort of large... there's no end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

I have been looking at the Nuwai QIII, but it seems to be more of a flood light based on the info that I can find, but I do like the size of it.

I don't mind the size of the Streamlight TT 2L, but a little smaller would be nice. I was just wondering if the SF E2E and E1E would throw better than the TT 2L. Also wanted to know how often the SF bulbs blow, or last?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
J_ROC said:
Thanks for all of the replies, guys.

I have been looking at the Nuwai QIII, but it seems to be more of a flood light based on the info that I can find, but I do like the size of it.

I don't mind the size of the Streamlight TT 2L, but a little smaller would be nice. I was just wondering if the SF E2E and E1E would throw better than the TT 2L. Also wanted to know how often the SF bulbs blow, or last?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been my experience (14 years since my first SF) with my 11 Surefire lights that they are optimal for more flood than throw. There are exceptions and all have larger diameter turbo heads. I think that tactical operations (and most of SF lights are tactical in nature) are conducted closer in that further away. The often used phrase "Wall of Light" is pretty close to what my Surefires achieve.

On paper the E2e may not seem much smaller than the TT-2L but in real carryability terms it is, the throw is about the same.

As a general rule, as have been stated above, throw is a function of reflector diameter. Larger reflectors can focus a beam for greater throw.

All lights are a trade off brightness v runtime, flood v throw you just have to decide what is more inportant in that trade off and purchase accordingly. This is why i have a couple of dozen lights, I keep on forgetting that and I'm constantly trying to find the perfect light that does everything.

GregR

Mark2

Enlightened
Yep, throw is the one thing Mags are good at. However, just because a light has a wide beam such as the Pila GL4, it doesn't mean that it has no throw. The same goes for many Surefire lights that have much wider beams than the Mags but because they put out so much light, the still throw pretty well.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2:

If you want to get a little more jingle for your jolly out of that 4D Mag, put 5 C cells in it and drive a 4D Krypton bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif.

dsl

Newly Enlightened
Yes the E2e has much better trow than the SL TTL you would be amazed at how much smaller it seems too. However for about half the price you can get a Streamlight TL2 even better throw, this is the light I usually carry on my walks.

Good luck and welcome To CPF I am new myself but love it my wife on the other hand thinks I need profesional help.