TryStar Phazer on Pilas

Likebright

Enlightened
For the past two or three months I have been using my Elektro Lumens TryStar Phazer with the Pila168s rechargeable batteries. The three emitters seem to be able to handle the increase in power alright and they burn much brighter than with the 4 C cells. I have put a spacer in the middle and use the hose to adapt the size of the batteries to the light.
I get about 30 minutes continuous run time at which time the light shuts off. Much more run time if intermittently used. It is good for around the house and seems to stay just about as bright right up till it kills. Then I just charge up the batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The increase of brightness and recharability is well worth the short run time if you've got a backup light to get you back to your charger.
You can always switch back to the C cells at any time.
Mike
Try-Star-lit.jpg

Tri-Star-dixected.jpg

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, cool idea! What did you use as the Pila holder? Looks like vinyl tubing? What diameter?

Flatscan

Enlightened
Ummm. Are you really running a DD light resistored for roughly 4.8V x 1000mA on no less than 2x3.7V? The TriStar heatsink is quite large and has a large contact area with the body, so thermal management seems to be all right. I'm curious what sort of current is being pushed through those Luxes.

Pi_is_blue, I believe the TriStar is set up with 3 LuxIIIs in parallel, each with its own small-value resistor to clip the current. If you're asking about the batteries, they must be in series, because Vbatt > VbattOrig, to make it brighter.

wallyrulz, no reason it wouldn't. You'd need a longer dummy cell/spacer and a thinner sleeve.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
It appears that you're running those Pilas in series. Not so sure that 7.4v - 8.4v of the 2 pilas is such a good idea. I doubt the voltage sags much under load, so you would be really over-volting those poor Luexons. Nearly DOUBLE spec. That's worse than pushing too much current through them, and can DESTROY them much easier. I'm surprised they haven't blown yet. Probably thanks to those resistors.

At least when over-volting Luxeons with alkaline batteries, the voltage under load sags enough that it isn't too much problem. Not likely the case here though.

Take it from someone who killed a W bin SE LuxV with 9v of AA alkaline power.

Can you get to the leads of the Lux emitters in the head of the light? Do you have a voltmeter? If so, I recommend you measure the voltage at the leads to the Luxeons. What is it? Do you know what Vf bin these are supposed to be?

Also, do you have an ammeter? If so, make sure it is set to the correct mode, remove the tailcap from the Phazer, and touch the leads to the battery and the light's body. How much current are you measuring?

Your surely at least cutting the life of your LEDs short if nothing else. Be careful!

Likebright

Enlightened
Yes, the current (voltage) is what I was concerned about. I don't have a means of measuring it precisely but the lexons 3s seem to be OK so far. I am careful not to run the light for long periods at a time. The 1.5 or so volts over the C cell output, seem at least, to be within the tolerance of the 3-lux III emitters in the head.
But if it blows tomarrow I've had fun with it for the last four months.
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif