Canon EOS 300D / Digital Rebel?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at getting a Canon EOS 300D (aka Digital Rebel). The price is finally down, and it seems to do well in all the reviews I've seen. A few questions:

<ul type="square"> [*]If you have one what do you like/dislike about it?
[*]Any thoughts on the DSLRs in general
[*]Alternatives I should consider to the Digital Rebel?
[*]Is there a macro mode?
[*]Is it worth it to buy new, or would a (lightly) used one be a batter value?[/list]I currently have a Sony F707, and would like to get into the DSLRs because of the interchangeable lens and faster sequential shooting.

Thanks

-Mike

M

MeridianTactical

Bought a Nikon D70 AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont mind the size, the DSLR is the way to go, no exceptions!!! I tried a nikon 8700 and I hated it! Slow and a pain...

I also have a Canon S30, which is great for a point and shoot Digital.

But I would sugest the Nikon over the Canon for a DSLR, and a Canon over a Nikon for a Point and shoot Digital

Buy new

As for Macro, its the lens not the camera in the DSLR world

My .02

LukeK

Enlightened
The 300D is a great entry level DLSR. The Nikon D70 is going to cost a bit more (upwards of 1100-1200 from what I can tell online). Perhaps Meridian can chime in on the price.
I think for the price that I think you're wanting to spend, you're looking at the right camera. If you want to flesh it out feature by feature then I'd suggest you check out dcresouce and Steve's digicams (Both great sites).

M

MeridianTactical

Price is $999 W/O lens and $1299 with a 18-70 Nikkor Lens.

I have a few other lenses... as well besides the kit lens

tech

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure what you meant by "few other lenses".
Check and make sure the lenses work with your digital rebel.
I seem to recall that either old lenses won't work on digital slr's, or they are somehow limited...
Eitherway, good luck, I wish I had to choose between those two models!
T.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebel accepts the full range of the Canon EF lenses which have been around since what, 1985? It also accepts the new EF-S lenses. I absolutely love my Rebel. It blows away any of the many point and shoot digital cameras I have owned in the past. I love the speed of operation. I love to take pictures of people and at parties, etc. It's so nice not to have to compose the person or group of people and not have to say, "wait, hold that pose" while you wait for the camera to focus and then say "hang on a second" while you wait for the camera to recycle so you can take a second shot. Meanwhile the people stand there trying to hold their forced pose in which any spontanity in the picture is now shot. I just take the shot, then another and another, etc. It focuses in an instant, particularly if you do a quick prefocus first so the lens doesn't have to move very far to refocus. It also will focus in low light tremendously better then the point and shoots (at least the ones I've had). The battery lasts forever and ever between charges. I thought I would miss the live pre-view but I quickly got used to using the viewfinder again. My biggest problem is that I want more and more expensive lenses and mark my words, the higher quality ones are expensive. Lens buying is an expensive, addictive habit but I'm currently in a situation where I will have to do with my three current lenses for a long time.

If I had to do it now and not having a Canon lens collection, I would seriously have to consider the Nikon D70. I didn't realize the price for the body alone was down to $1000. Canon choose to dumb down the Rebel a bit and left out some desireable features such as flash exposure compensation (which can be overridden but using an external flash that has this feature). The D70 has these left out features and has a much bigger shot buffer. There are times when I find the Rebel's four shot buffer to be restrictive although it is at least smart enough so that when the buffer is full as soon as a shot is flushed out, you can take another one so you don't have to wait for all four to get flushed out. Better still I would try my best to save up and get the Canon 20D for $1500 as it is fast enough and has enough features so I really think I could happily keep this camera for a decade regardless of what comes out.

Back to the Rebel, I recommend it. Size is an issue for some and I have a Canon Elph that I generally keep in the car for unexpected shots (the best camera is the one you have with you) but if I go anywhere at all where I even think I might take a picture I bring the Rebel. If you are going to buy a digital SLR, keep in mine you're buying into a system. Because I now own Canon lens, if I ever upgrade in the future I will most likely stick with Canon. This is not a bad thing but keep this in mind when choosing the camera.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS 300D, I like the Canon EOS better for the color, so I sell off the Nikon D70 to my uncle, he want the more money the better the camera, I love the canon 300D, and my uncle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
I'm looking at getting a Canon EOS 300D (aka Digital Rebel). The price is finally down, and it seems to do well in all the reviews I've seen. A few questions:

<ul type="square"> [*]If you have one what do you like/dislike about it?
[*]Any thoughts on the DSLRs in general
[*]Alternatives I should consider to the Digital Rebel?
[*]Is there a macro mode?
[*]Is it worth it to buy new, or would a (lightly) used one be a batter value?[/list]I currently have a Sony F707, and would like to get into the DSLRs because of the interchangeable lens and faster sequential shooting.

Thanks

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I've handled both the 300D and the Nikon D70 and I much preferred the Nikon. The 300D's color and saturation seem to be more directed at the consumer market as they always seem to be a little warmer than the actual picture. Most people like this, but I'm more for an accurate portrayal fo the colors. The Nikon hits the colors dead-on.

I do love my Canon PowerShot SD100 for EDC tho.

-F

Brento

Newly Enlightened
if you have the money i'd say go with the nikon but if you don't want to invest a lot of money i'd say go with the rebel (i'm a canon fan but since you don't have any ties with canon lens go with the nikon). it is an awesome beginner camera. it is something to learn with and when you get better you can always by something better like the 20D. as a note always spend more money on the lens since that is what will give you the best images. don't forget right now canon has a $100 rebate for the D-rebel. and if you decided to buy additional lens it can be up to $300 off with the multiplier.

-brento

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
im a huge canon fan and i am currently trying to save for one - i would go with either the canon or the nikon - it doesnt really matter which - they are both great cameras - go into a shop which has both and pick them both up play around with them then buy whichever feels nicer in your hands

AFAIK they dont have macro modes - my eos 300 (not digital) with the 28-80 will focus at half a meter - anything closer and i need a macro lens

oh and just a work of warning to you people who have both a digital eos and a film one - dont put the digital lens on your film camera - the mirror will strike the back of the lens causing lots of $$$ of damage to both the lens and the body of the camera

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Canon EF line of lenses will fit both the Canon digital SLR's such as the Rebel and 20D as well as the Canon 35mm film SLRs. The Canon EF-S line of lenses in which there are only a few released thus far (kit 18-55mm w/Rebel being one of them), are not compatible with the Canon film SLR's and only actually only the last few Canon digital SLRs released. Can you even mount them on a Canon film SLR? The EF-S lenses have a white mounting square as opposed to a red dot for the regular EF line.

As it's been posted, the macro capabilities for digital SLRs depend on the lens. Some are better at it then others and then ones that are designed specifically to be macro are quite expensive. Although you can not get as close to the subject, I find that the Canon kit 17-55mm is not horrible at macros if you get as close as the camera will focus and then zoom in. Still this is one area that the digital point and shoot's, particularly the Nikon's that I've owned are going to be better at if you really need to get close.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't want to hijack this thread, but for those who are stuck with a bunch of Nikon lenses, here is a quick fix you can use for the old ones.

[click to enlarge]

Just Dremel the part of the mount which interferes with the notch found on the D100 or D70.
I can now use my MF 55 macro on a D100 or D70 (though only with Manual exposure, and forget about any warranty etc).

Back on topic, I'd save up for the 20D if I could get rid of my Nikons. I love the operational performance of Nikons, but at least for now, Canon leads in image quality by far.
Samoan has accurately pointed out... [ QUOTE ]
The 300D's color and saturation seem to be more directed at the consumer market as they always seem to be a little warmer than the actual picture. Most people like this, but I'm more for an accurate portrayal fo the colors. The Nikon hits the colors dead-on.

[/ QUOTE ]... but "out of the box" without any Photoshopping, and especially in the higher ISO/ASA images, Canon definitely leads.
Personally, I liked the colors of the AP/Kodak NC2000e. Anyone have experience with 'em? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif