We found THE house! CRASH! BURN!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Third edit: BURN! It is now about 98% certain that this deal is gone south. 4 nitpicks on the house/property and one on me. This royally hoovers, but then we've always said if God wants it to, it will happen. Next step is to get our realtor busy. end edit:

start second edit: I have just been informed that I am to sleep in my uncles travel trailer because we are moving out of our house this week. This is a crushing blow to my psychy! I thought we'd pay the extra and stay another month. Somebody go ahead and shoot me, OK? :end second edit

start edit The sound of hitting a wall. The mortgage companies tried so far won't touch a "manufactured" home. Another company wants a different bunch of paperwork but MAY come through..... end edit

We first looked at the PERFECT property, 10 hilly acres with a creek at the bottom rear of the property and a decent but rather small house, but at a fairly out of our range price. It would STILL need a place for my Dad on the property. Most likely a decent used Single Wide Mobile Home. It would also have made us have to buy a tractor with a brush hog and a box blade to keep up the property and driveway. The cost would have been just TOO much. I LOVED it! (the land) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

The second place is gonna be the winner. It is 2 Acres with 3 more available at a decent price. It has a modular (as opposed to Mobile Home?) Double wide with added back weather porch, and back den. A BIG two car garage with dozens of cabinet doors, drawers etc. Lotsa room for a table saw, drill stand etc. 3 outbuildings including "Mother-in-Law" quarters (that with a bit of expansion will be Dads place) and a BEAUTIFUL yard. The place is freaking immaculate!

I only cringe thinking about the yard work!

It will get us WELL out of Houston, and the tenticles of Metro.

Quick shopping is 5 minutes away, decent food shopping about 12, Walmart about 15-20 either North or South.

Frys and other goodies stores will be more of a trip than they were, but heck that's probably a good thing!

Now all that is required is getting financed... And getting rid of TONS of stuff acquired over 19 years here!

Wish us luck!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Re: We found THE house!

Best to you! Moving is a real pain, as an Army Brat I moved all my early life and now I have been in the middle of a move for 2 months...crap strung every where, going to hit the old house once more and move stuff to the mini rental--pull stuff from there to move to the "new to me" house.Lots of luck to you.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Joe, good luck! It sounds like you are in a good situation if finances will allow. Where I live in Eastern MA, on my single, semi-professional income, I probably would have to move back a 150 miles to my home state of Vermont to dream of such a property. If I got married to someone who made the same amount of money as myself, I'd only have to move 75 miles!

I do wish you lots of luck!

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Joe, good luck! It sounds like you are in a good situation if finances will allow. Where I live in Eastern MA, on my single, semi-professional income, I probably would have to move back a 150 miles to my home state of Vermont to dream of such a property. If I got married to someone who made the same amount of money as myself, I'd only have to move 75 miles!

I do wish you lots of luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Move to MS. We all have that kind of place. And you can buy it for about the cost of a decent car.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

But...do they have a strong electronics industry where a qualified engineering tech could make $50k or above or the equivalent to afford such housing? I own just a condo now. My hope is that when I retire or make a major re-location, I could sell it and buy something else in 90 percent of the US without having to pay more. I don't think affordable housing and high tech go hand in hand.

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

Move to MS. We all have that kind of place. And you can buy it for about the cost of a decent car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stay out of Illinois. Quickly becoming a Kalifornia Klone State with out the nice weather.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

PB Joe - sounds great. Financing shouldn't be a problem in todays market. If you or your Dad are veterans, the Texas Vet Land Board would be worth checking out.

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
But...do they have a strong electronics industry where a qualified engineering tech could make $50k or above or the equivalent to afford such housing? I own just a condo now. My hope is that when I retire or make a major re-location, I could sell it and buy something else in 90 percent of the US without having to pay more. I don't think affordable housing and high tech go hand in hand.

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes, I think you could find such a job. Tupelo is the fastest growing city in the state and has been for a while. Industry is moving INTO it at a very fast rate.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Congrats on finding such a nice sounding place. And good luck sorting and moving all your stuff. I made a similar local move three years ago after being in the same place for about 24 years. I couldn't believe all the junk I had accumulated. Luckily, I had a couple months to slowly make the move. Hope everything runs smoothly for you.

Geoff

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

An issue or several are at hand.

Yes, Dad is a vet. And I THINK he needs to own a home while my mom stays alive with Alzheimers/Dementia in a nursing home. So that may be how we get the financing.

We are to be given a NICE bed couch and a couple of wing chairs from a friend of Sister. But we got no place top put them before the move.

It will likely take 45 days or more until we get the ok. But we gotta be out of here (or pay WAY more in rent) by the first of the year.

I've been taking down my room this AM. It is exhausting!

Smooth isn't very likely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Still, I have said and continue to say "A change will do us good".

Back to the grind!

Samoan

Enlightened

Congrats!

This has been a dream of my Dad's forever. In about a year he'll get to realize it. My brothers are both in construction and mom and dad have retired they have picked out a nice plot of land outside of Vancouver, WA. They're building a nice little house with room for all the grnadchildren.

One thing to keep in mind for your purchase is how the financial institutions will try to set up the loan. it all depends on how the structure is treated. If it's considered a permanent improvement you'll get to do a nice conventional mortgage.

-F

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations on your find... and the best of luck to you on the negotiations. Moving/remodeling can be a real pain, but the end usually seems to be worth the work.

-Mike

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

X,

The place is so amazing that it would NEED nothing!

Sister WANTS wood floors (better with dogs) and will get them!

I want a big arse riding mower. Almost the entire 2 acres is lawn! And it is amazingly groomed...

kubolaw

Enlightened

Congratulations! Two acres??!! I can't even comprehend that size lot out here. Good luck with the move - that's always a chore that turns out to be bigger than expected.

John

StuU

Enlightened

Watch our for the interest-only loans and the adjustable loans....bad news as interest rates are rising.