Noob with a question on Airport Security

MJRMetalworks

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

I've been lurking for a little while and after doing some searching I couldn't find an answer to my question. So, I thought I'd introduce myself and see if I could get an answer.

While I'm a huge gadget 'freak', I've only recently become aware of the high-end light scene. A good friend with some SF's got me hooked.

My question is, does anyone have any experience the post-9/11 world with taking a litium powered flashlight on to a commercial flight? I'm hoping to get a QIII for Christmas, and I may end up travelling to South Africa in January. Should I put the QIII in the checked bag, or can I carry it on?

Any help is greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
That really depends. For example, if you took a SureFire E2D on a plane, one of the security gaurds will have a nice present to take home. If the light looks a little fierce, like the E2D(scalloped bezel) it might be confiscated. Of course, I have no experience in this whole thing whatsoever as I dont even own a SF but just IMO.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the metal detector playing with my flashlights, so I stow my SF/X5T/Etc in checked luggage. But I've also heard of TSA folks taking stuff out of checked luggage as well. .

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the actual policy of confiscation vs just not letting you on the plane with it? We just got back from flying all over the place and at at least one of the X-Ray stations they had a service where for $10 or something they would give you a kit to mail to yourself anything they wouldn't let you carry on. I think that is always an option isn't it? Or is that at the discretion of the guy behind the counter? I suppose if it's a scythe or something they might be mad and threaten you with legal options, but a flashlight should be something arguably that you should be able to send back to yourself. When they decide something is not acceptable, is that then a case of their own choice if they let you turn around and leave, or if they take it and make you get on the plane?

I would feel safer carrying it on as you probably won't get searched beyond the X-ray machine anyway, and if you do the guy is standing out there in the open with you standing in front of him. The TSA guys that search your carryon bags are somewhere else, you won't know if they removed it or stole it or just lost it as they were repacking yoru stuff till you get off the last plane in your connections and there is no way you're going to get them to do anything. I would think a polite "I'm sorry, if you think thats a problem I'm happy to go drop that back into the mail to myself. Thank you for protecting me from passengers with flashlights" would get you your light back in the first case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

actually, keep the smart remarks to a minimum or they will really take you to task.

jbev

Newly Enlightened
I carried my M4, L4, and 9P in my carry on earlier this year on a trip to South America. I burried them deep and scattered them around. 8 x-ray check points and 1 random search later they were all still mine. They were the most paranoid about my boots because the x-rays could not get through the soles. In hindsight I was probably lucky so your experience may vary. It has been my experience that the TSA guys are the pickiest about things. Once you get out of the states the "I care factor" seems to drop off pretty dramatically. In the states I'm starting to think it just depends on luck and what kind of a day the screen guy is having.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
when you check bags with good lights in them you run the risk of losing the lights through theft /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Didn't have a problem in a trip in the US this week. No comments on anything and I was carrying a bunch of lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not have them in your pockets, place them and other loose pocket items in a ziplock baggy, in your carry on case. Carry-on gets x-rayed, once on plane and before you stow your carry-on in the overhead, remove the baggy and load up your pockets again.

Aloft

Enlightened
My regular preflight flashlight is currently a Surefire L2, lithium powered as you probably know. In addition, I have an Inova T3 in my jacket pocket (remember that the jacket comes off at the checkpoint and goes thru the X-ray machine) for preflight duties, also lithium powered. I've never had any problems and I've gone thru quite a few airports as a commercial pilot. Lest you think that we get any preferential treatment because we're pilots or in uniform, I can say from personal experience that this is not the case. Bottom line. . . I don't think you'll have any trouble.

The E2D may eventually become another story. Right now I don't think it's on TSA's radar screen, but any flashlight that's touted by its manufacturer as a "weapon" is just begging to have it outlawed on commercial flights!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I get preoccupied at times, and so I've hit the TSA checkpoints several times with an extra screwdriver, pen knife, scisors, etc. I've even accicently carried pepper spray through the checkpoints 3 times.

In all cases, including the pepper spray, I was given the option of mailing it home. You are not allowed to mail pepper spray, so it was 'donated' to the TSA.

Daniel

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I travel quite often and it really depends on which non-educated, high-school drop-out you get that's playing Mr. Securityman that day. I've gotten thru without question for things you wouldn't believe at times and other times I get questioned over the most redulious items.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just came back from an international trip. No problems carrying my lights in my carry-on. No questions asked; they seemed more intent on searching inside my shoes for some reason... I do not have an E2D.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I have had Extreme Paranoia, in Canada once, about battery operated devices. That was on a flight going into DCA, Reagan National, from Toronto.

They made us take every battery operated device (including toothbrushes, shavers, etc.) and demonstrate that it worked. I would assume this included flashlights (at the time I wasn't afflicted with the present flashaholic sickness).

I believe in Buenos Aires they asked if anything battery operated had been taken in for repair recently and they were suspicious of batteries.

I have heard someone say that in India, they took his batteries away.

Batteries will be suspect at different points as they are a good form factor for nasty things, I assume.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
MJRMetalworks,

Welcome to CPF! Hang on to your wallet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do a search for TSA and you'll come up with hits. Going to several places you may have trouble with extra batteries. It has been suggested that a Surefire Hurricane Lamp with 12 cells might get you off the hook since it's "supposed" to be a long life light not extra batteries.

It's usually rule of the day but I'd rather take a chance with carry-on. Good luck.
LT

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, all.

I travelled internationally to/from US from time to time. There was never question asked about the flashlight on carry-on(usually the SF G2Z, or Pelican M6) or check in baggages.

I flied with my E2D carry on as well. But never always checked it in if part of my iternary take me to US.

But just one friendly reminder--always take the battery out of your flashlights before you check in the baggage...coz electronics with battery in it always attract attention(whether you are travelling within US or even non US international flights).

Another suggestion--I discovered that Sharper Image was selling a combination baggage lock which TSA has a key to open it if they want to...so now I could check in my bags with all my goodies without worrying that just anyone can open my bag before my next stop.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
Batteries will be suspect at different points as they are a good form factor for nasty things, I assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Israeli equivalent of the CIA (Called "MOSAD") used batteries to assasinate a high-profile terrorist a few years back.
This was back when they had those big Motorola brick-phones, and you had to send your phone in to a service shop to replace the battery... After he got his phone back, he gets a call... "Hello?".. and then BOOM! No more right-side-of-your-head for you, Mr. Terrorist! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Of course, back then those batteries were much larger. But a D-Cell sized C4 explosive could easily blow a hole in a 747.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AuroraLite said:
But just one friendly reminder--always take the battery out of your flashlights before you check in the baggage...coz electronics with battery in it always attract attention(whether you are travelling within US or even non US international flights).

[/ QUOTE ]

my experience is the opposite. They want to see that something battery operated actually works and that requires the batteries. No time to put batteries in something at a checkpoint, you need to turn it on and show that it works if they ask you.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I agree...at the checkpoint and that rule often apply for my laptop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But for checkin baggage, once in a while I did get question about what's using the battery(especially if it was in an alarm clock, go figure). Of course, in US, TSA will just check it for you if it is being x-rayed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MJRMetalworks

Newly Enlightened
Lunal Tic,

Thanks. Yeah, I've already been bit by the bug. My wish list is growing rapidly.

Everyone: Thanks for the input. The trip is still a maybe, and if I go, I'll probably just put whatever light I have into my checked bag.

- Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
MJRMetalworks and shifty646, welcome to CPF and why dontcha stay awhile!

I do like DoubleA, keep my light on me until I get to security, then I take it, my wallet, watch, ring, and any other little things in my pockets out and put them into my carryon for X-ray and then retrieve it all on the other side.

I'd rather not put my Arc or SF or Firefly into the little dish, cuz that invites questions, even if well meaning or curious, and I'm afraid if I get tagged, my little dish of valuables will sit around near the belt and outside my reach, while the wand buster is flogging me. It's a little harder to steal my whole carryon than a small item outa the dish.

Also, a couple months ago I had packed lites and knives into my checked luggage, fully expecting to have something lifted by TSA, and I was pleasantly surprised to get it all back. However, I did take my valuables before I packed them and took a picture of them on that day's newspaper, to have some kinda record of my stuff.

No problems domestic or international so far, and no one has asked me to take a lite out or turn it on. Camera equipment and computer equipment, that's a different story!

welcome again!
daloosh

P.S. You can search here for airline, airport, TSA, luggage and so on, there are a number of similar threads in the recent past.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I've never had a problem flying domestically within Australia with my Surefire L4, E2e and E1e /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif in fact the only attention they've received is twice: one security officer said "cool torch," and the other time the officer on the scanner checked the box as it came out, and said "oh, its a torch."

My R.M. Williams belt and Colorado shoes give me far more grief by reliably set off the detectors. Every now and again I forget and wear them, and become 'that guy,' i.e. the one in the terminal you pass who is in varying stages of undress being wanded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts