Custom Luxeon III (Automotive Related) Question

TopazDave

Newly Enlightened
First time posting!

I am looking for some help.

I am designing a product which uses the Luxeon III(3 watt), and must run on a car's ~13.4v electical system.

What type of electronics are neccassary to safely drive the bulb, keep in mind we will be building many of these, so cost is a factor. Is one of those PowerPucks what we need, or can we do with just a simple resistor and current regulator?

Also, how much heat sinking is neccessary, how can I figure out if my current heatsink is ample?

Appreciate the help and hints!

Dave

Krit

Enlightened
Some web give information to make constance current with LM317. It can regulated current for car battery which 11-15 volt during driving. You can calculate resistor value for work with LM317 and decide how many current you want.

I think use only common resister is not work for swinging volt in car.

Try search "LM317 and Luxeon"

Krit

Enlightened
Also Welcome to CPF TopazDave

This link
http://linear1.org/gm/archives/00000147.php
currentreg.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: Custom Luxeon III (Automotive Related) Questio

TopazDave:

Pardon the novella - I got carried away. I ought demand a small tribute from Lumileds for these...

I think you'll find that off-the-shelf drivers are too costly for what you want to do - unless you can score a sweet quantity discount direct from the manufcaturer.

Most current supply designs will be able to run 2-3 Luxeons in series from a nominal 12V supply. If you need to run more, you can always run strings of 2-3 in parallel.

A Luxeon I will dissipate up to a nominal 1.25W, and a Luxeon III will dissipate up to a nominal 3.8W - both depending on the characteristics of the specific emitter. Emitters with lower forward voltage (Vf) dissipate less power and generate less heat. You might be able to negotiate for specific Vf bins from a supplier or Lumileds directly if your quantities are high enough.

Generally, you want to throw more heatsink at a Luxeon and not less. Heat kills solid-state electronics like nothing else.

Maximum Junction temperature:
Luxeon I: 120°C
Luxeon III: 135°C

Junction temperature isn't useful for most of us since we're going to measure the temperature of the outside, on the emitter "slug". If you're more up on thermodynamics than I am, you can determine the maximum acceptable temperature at the slug using thermal resistance values:
Luxeon I emitter: 15°C/W
Luxeon I star: 20°C/W
Luxeon III emitter: 13°C/W
Luxeon III star: 17°C/W

I don't know the specifics of your application, so I don't know if you'd prefer the "star" or bare emitter.

Stars are typically used for applications where the LED will be some distance away from the power supply, the distance will vary, or conditions are a bit too harsh to locate the driver with the LED. A star offers a built-in heat spreader if the LED is to be mounted to a metal surface or larger heatsink. Stars are better suited to manual assembly outside of an electronics fab environment due to their superior mechanical robustness versus stars and ease of "field installation."

Emitters are better for situations where the LED will be used on a driver board or in an electronics fab environment. Emitters almost always require heatsinking to operate at higher rated currents and must be handled with greater care than stars. Emitters offer more versatility when it comes to external optics or "packaging" into housings & optical assemblies.

Lumileds has extensive documentation for the Luxeon series. I'd suggest you check out the following datasheets (might require registration or anonymous sign-in):
PG01 Luxeon Product Guide
DR02 Luxeon for Flashlight Applications (not entirely relevant to what you're doing, but there's good information in there)

DS25 Luxeon I emitter datasheet
DS23 Luxeon I Star datasheet
DS45 Luexon III emitter datasheet
DS46 Luxeon III star datasheet

AB11 Luxeon Electrical Drive information
AB05 Luxeon Thermal Design Guide

My own distilled version of Lumileds' official binning guide

SemiMan

Banned
Re: Custom Luxeon III (Automotive Related) Questio

When you say you will be building "many" of these, how many are you thinking? That will make a big difference to what type of circuit you do. For automotive, you need to also consider things such as load dump, reverse battery, double battery, low battery, etc. Many off the shelf drivers will self destruct under non-ideal conditions though they may work just fine in testing.