Closest thing to the Arc AAA?

wombat

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, now that Arc are sadly no longer with us, can anyone provide some advice on what is out there that is close to the Arc AAA in terms of size and performance? The Peak Matterhorn 3 LED looks interesting, as does the CMG Infinity Ultra. Both are sold by Pocketlights

http://www.pocketlights.com/peak_matterhorn_3_led.asp
http://www.pocketlights.com/infinity_ultra.asp

What's the feeling about those two? I'm also considering the Inova X1, but am wondering how useful that one might be when it comes to navigating around a dark room filled with obstacles since the beam is so tightly focussed.

Any help would be welcome

Thanks

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check with Peak about some of their prototype AA bodies. I could be mistaken but I believe they are shorter in length, which would make them closer to ARC's in overall size.

Longbow

Enlightened
The X-1 is a very attractive light, long, well regulated run time (5 hr.). Farther throw, which allows you to make out details from about double the distance of the other lights you mentioned. That said, navigating a cluttered area requires constantly sweeping side to side and up and down to avoid tripping and bumping. I like mine, but mainly for inspection tasks. Look into the Gerber Trio. It's larger than the others you mentioned but still EDC'able. Very bright for 3 5mm leds and very well constructed.

fuelblender

Enlightened
Gerber Sonic. Extreamly bright, light weight and about the same length as the ARC AAA. The longer you own one, the more you'll like it. Give it a try; can't beat the price.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
fuelblender said:
Gerber Sonic. Extreamly bright, light weight and about the same length as the ARC AAA. The longer you own one, the more you'll like it. Give it a try; can't beat the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD.
I just picked one up. I must have got a real killer LED in mine, it's brighter and throw's farther then my two ARC AAA'-Ps, and i Know from reading on here, that's not the normal findings. VDG

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened
Apart form looks i have not been happy with my ARC AAA, it will not turn on about 50% of the time. Almost any good AAA will be better.

wombat

Newly Enlightened
That's a known problem with a batch of AAAs that got made. Mine has it, and I could have returned it for a free replacement while Arc were still going. Like others, I figured I could do it any time so didn't hurry to do so, and now it is too late.

Thanks to all to responded, I've got some good information now. I think the Peak Matterhorn 3-led is probably going to be the one I try next, though the Gerber also looks interesting.