BRASS Arc AAA - are these genuine ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_robby

Enlightened
these are Peak led solutions lights...
this guy is a CPF member too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif. one born every minute i guess

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent an email to "Patrick", who is the CPF`er known as "S2K". I have bought some Arc LE`s from him in the past, and I believe him to be a good person.

I have asked him to change his Ebay listing to reflect the fact that these are NOT brass Arc AAA`s. I trust he will immediately change his listing.

I don`t think I`m wrong about Patrick...and I certainly hope that`s the case here. If I am wrong, we can then deal with that through the administrators of the CPF and Ebay.

Patrick...we`re with you! Do the right thing!

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Actually, there really are genuine brass AAAs out there. I don't know the exact number but a few were made. Peter put them up for a cpf raffle I believe.

EDIT: did a bit more research and from what I found, company that machined the AAAs proposed the brass Arcs and then Peter putt hem up for a benefit auction on CPF, after deciding NOT to sell brass lights. Whether they went so far as to etch in the Arc markings I don't know.

In my opinion, those lights can be considered "prototype" arc AAAs. Also, to my knowledge, Arcs are the only lights with that shape head. None of the Peak lights use that style head nor I have I ever seen a prototype head on their site which looked like that.
And I feel that Carpe Diem's "fraud" statement is going a bit too far.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MrMimizu said:
And I feel that Carpe Diem's "fraud" statement is going a bit too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Sorry, Patrick!

As I have always said, you`re one of the "good guys!"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Peak make perfect round AAA brass heads with knurling?

I see perfectly round AAA brass head plus knurling in the ebay pic. The diamonds in the brass aaa knurling looks bigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was some difficulty trying to cut this photo down. A member published it 2 years ago in this thread:

ARC 8

unusual1.JPG

The Ebay brass lights pic hosted by JustBright

Brass.jpg

Prototypes? Sure.

Rare? You bet.

But the Ebay title is "!!BRASS!! ARC AAA, Extremely RARE!!"

Obviously these are not of the original 8 ARC AAA brass.

This thread is "BRASS Arc AAA - are these genuine ???"

MrMimizu -

Consider changing the title of your Ebay auction to more accurately portray what you are selling.

red_robby

Enlightened
OK, everyone relax. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif
auction was ended early... it was the right thing to do

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were eight of the "original" Brass Arc AAAs auctioned by PG on Ebay/Yahoo for the benefit of the CPF. For all intents and purposes they are identical to the regular production triple-As, with the same fine knurling. Unfortunately they had no laser engraving or other markings.

brasarcaaa.jpg

The ones produced by Peak under the "prototype" name, as visible in the auction photo further up the page, might look at first glance to be genuine Arc-AAAs (right down to the simple round head) but notice the knurling. It is different, having the same wider spacing as that of the later double-A, which was produced long after the original brass Arcs.

A genuine Brass Arc-AAA is worth a lot more than the Peak clones if only because they were auctioned for such high prices that their owners would be reluctant to part with them for anything much lower, but it can be hard to tell them apart given the lack of engraving. If you`re not sure, compare with a regular Arc triple-A and double-A, and if the knurling is the same as the triple-A, it`s probably genuine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
In addition to the correct knurling, the brass head should have the correct ARC AAA board.

it's possible for R&C to produce brass bodies with the exact same knurling. further you could remove an ARC AAA board w/led and insert into a new brass head.

IMHO the only way to verify it's from the original eight is to track down the lineage.

Before I send $$$ for an Xbin, I'll track down the history of the light. This would be no different.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked him a question concerning the lack of markings on the "BRASS Arc AAA" email and reply below.

Dear diggdug13,

You asked:
"I don't see the ARC name engraved on the flashlight can you add a pic with the name."

Hi, as i know this is not a officially released model so thers is no engraving, they even did not put the foam retainer, i think this is a very limited testing model never go to public.

View this listing now to bid or purchase this item.

Item # Item Title Listing end date

5138887566 !!BRASS!! ARC AAA, Extremely RARE!! 19-Nov-04

Thank you,
s2k_shop

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is not an original arc aaa brass.
note the epoxy potting in the head.
it might be a prototype but its a peak not an arc.

jhillas

Newly Enlightened
I am quite a "newbie" when it comes to lights but I have one of those brass bodies, and would love a matching head for it... Any ideas on where I might find one?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right HERE for 3 LED brass heads or HERE for 1 LED heads. I would recommend the 3 LED high power with snow LED's.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does S2K = Patrick = MrMimuzu ?

Was the Ebay auction placed by MrMimuzu under another handle?

Britt

MrMimizu

Enlightened
BC,

I'm pretty sure that MrMimizu ≠ S2k or Patrick.
Whether S2K = Patrick I don't know.

And upoon seeing the pics posted then I would also change my stance. It seems that those are NOT the ARC Protos. I had no idea that there were Arc Brass protos as well as Peak brass protos at the time of my original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.