siemens gigaset 4xxx series.... anyone?

iddibhai

Enlightened
does anyone have the siemens gigaset 42xx or even 4xxx, heck, any current generation siemens cordless for that matter? i'd like to get one, but not much of the market share for them in the USA, and hard to find any real end-user information. thanks.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would do some review searches because last time I was in the market for cordless phones, Siemens wasn't getting good reviews from some of the sites that I found.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I do like the panasonic kx-tg2740 multiset two line phone. It has nice ergonomics and a good feature set. You can have 7 cordless handsets with only one connected to the phone line.

I have a phone in every room of the house, and all have the same buttons for the first time since Ma Bell broke up back in 1984.

I've heard neutral to critical remarks about the Siemens consumer line.

Daniel

sstrauss

Newly Enlightened
I have the siemens and like it a lot. You can call screen ( listen to the person leaving a message ) from any of the handsets. It also nice having a speakerphone on every handset.
I have a panasonic at work but you don't get the speakerphone on the handets with it.

Scott

iddibhai

Enlightened
that's the problem; while panasonic garners consistent praise, siemens is love/hate, with no middle ground, plus there aren't many of them either, so a small divisive sample size is hard to base a decision on. i should note at this point that aesthetics are the reason i'm looking past pana. to siemens. lots of non-USA CPFers here, i'd like to hear from you as well--apparently a very large market share exists in EU.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no experience with the current models from Siemens, but I can tell you that the 24xx units were total crap. They had serious defects due to manufacturing shortcuts, and Siemens did not stand behind their products. They became aware of the problems, but chose to ignore them instead of doing the right thing.

There is a guy on eBay who has built himself a cottage industry repairing this junk. He's had my handset in three different times. I'd steer clear of Siemens personally, let's just say that they left a bad taste in my mouth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (sorry). I've owned many Panasonic phones, and have always been happy with them.

Peter

chrisse242

Enlightened
I have one 1xxx and one 3xxx series phones and both are working perfectly, the 1xxx for nearly 8 years now. My mum has another 3xxx series phone and doesn't have problems either.
I had two siemens mobile phones (s35i and ME45) and both where crap, had to return both several times. On the other hand the customer service was good. Called them on the phone and the next day a guy came to my door with a new phone and took the old one with him.
I'd buy more cordless phones from them but never one of their mobiles.
Chrisse

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You know, one of the things I HATE about phones is that they don't stick around long enough to build a history. Chrisse's mom had one for 8 years, but I bet you it's no longer made. I had a great one by Emerson that was only available for about 6 months. The ergonomics and electronics were just the way I wanted them.

Alasm that's a problem with just about all high tech stuff.

Re: panasonic 27XX line. It does have speakerphone built into the handsets. There are also 4 different handset styles avaialble.

Daniel

chrisse242

Enlightened
Uhhm actually, the one that has worked for 8 years is mine. Mum is kind of new to cordless phones and stuff like that. If I didn't convince her she'd still use a phone with a rotary dial. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Of course the 1xxx series is no longer made but you can still find them on ebay. I wouldn't buy them today since they are lacking everything that makes a phone comfortable but I use mine as additional handset with the 3xxx base.
But you're right of course, it's hard to judge the phones that are currently sold since they don't have a history. You mostly have to rely on the companies reputation and all I can say is that my cordless phones from siemens are working great. YMMV

Chrisse