Angryfox        

Thread: Got mortared last light. Everybody ok

Flashaholic

Default Got mortared last light. Everybody ok

Hi all,
    This attack just shook us up a little bit with nobody hurt.

The best data I have is that all the rounds landed well outside the base.

The Army is going to invistigate this morning.

Yet news is news, and here is the latest.

Another fine day in Iraq.

We got mortared last night!.

Can't tell you how little I liked it.

I was sitting in the dining hall with a visiting LT. Reading my book, and dealing with the press of humanity in brown and tan.

Unless they are close your not going to hear explosions, but you feel a thump.

The first thump was confused with a door slam.

The second thump the LT and I looked at each other, with that look like "that wasen't what I thought it was, was it?"

The third thump, someone banged open a door and yelled "Incoming", at that point about 250 troopers and contractors hit the floor.

Thumps four and five were lost in the sound of the evacuation to the bunkers.
    I end up at the shelter outside the dining hall, and it's packed.

At times like this you make some decisions. It's been the pattern of the bad guys to shoot and scoot. So I said good night to the troopers and made my way back to the tent to get my radio and see how the rest of the unit faired.

So with the flash light, I worked my way from arch shelter to arch shelter. Got to my tent and grabbed the radio and checked in on the company 'net'. I also got into my armor and helmit. (I like to think Im not a total idiot)

About an hour later, our base security unit issued an all clear.

This morning marked the end of Ramadan.

The locals celibrate it with fireworks and AK fire. After last night it did sound kind of happy.

Im home by the Second of December.

To all of you many thanks for keeping me sane in a place that it's easy to loose it and turn into a twitch.

Hope your night was better.

Keep it warm
    Jack Crow in Iraq

Default Re: Got mortared last light. Everybody ok

Glad to hear you are all ok there Jack, I wouldn't want to trade places with you... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Bart,
    Im nearly out of here. One more week.

According to the news the Dutch are having a little neighbor dispute with Islam too. I one of your film makers was wacked for some anti Islamic things, and now the country is turning on it's muslum population.

What's the mood there if you can talk about it.

Hope al is well.
    Jack Crow in Iraq

People are talking about it, and are a bit worried... There have been a lot of attempts to set mosks on fire as well.
    2 members of parliament have gone into hiding because of death threats against them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    Overall the tone is still one of "let's live along together peacefully", but come down harder on extremists.
    I really don't follow it all that much, but there is a lot going on here right now.

Jack, you don't know me, and we've never traded messages.

Take care and please remember that you guys are not forgotten. Keep your head down for the next week, OK?

Daniel

Flashaholic*

Keep your head down, Jack.

Flashaholic*

Maine anxiously awaits your arrival to signal you made it back to the US safely! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif[/img]

man that really slaps ya in the face with reality .. reading your post .. May God be by all of your sides .. Thank you for protecting us here at home... !

Stay extra alert and careful the last few days.
    Be safe.
    LT

Thank you for what you do. One more week...

Jack,

I hope and pray that everything goes smoothly until you are back home. Thank you for what you do.

Please do come back unharmed.

How many CPF members are serving in dangereous areas at this time?

Flashaholic

Hi all,
    Just had another scare.

Next door to us is a truck repair unit. They had a 'split rim' tire explod in a service cage. No one hurt. There is a lot of power in compressed air. The bang made us all jump about a foot or so.

Anyhow many thanks for the kind words.

Just so you all know, Im a contractor here, not part of the brown and tan community. I do what I can for them. The radio station, fixing stuff, that kind of thing. I got some inexpensive lights from one of our vendors and issued the surplus to our chaplins to give out to troopers in need.

Individual answers.......

Bart,
    In my part of Northern VA I have a great many Islamic neighbors. Those are good people. They make for a very orderly and quiet neighborhood. Controled kids, that don't run in the hall making noise. I think they are wonderful.

Just remember even here most people are basicly good and want to get along.

.................................................. ..
    Dan and Stu
    The whole 'keep your head down' thing is good advice for war zones. Some times it can't be done. Last night was one such example. The shelters nearest the dining hall were packed. So I made my way from shelter to shelter until I got to my tent. Got into my kevlar, and found my two way radio, and checked in. The pattern is for the bad guys to shoot and run. Very often they are moving before the first round lands. So the rounds are not aimed well. Also mortars and rockets depend on a stable launch platform for consistant preformance. If you launching from the back of a pick up truck, the springs will rock and spread your aim point all over the dial. They missed us, no word yet if the rounds landed in the neighboring villiages. Remember these insurgents don't care if they kill their own. These are ideal driven people who have perverted Islam to suite their own whims. Not nice folks.

.................................................. .......
    BBTL
    I don't know for sure what my return path is going to be.

Bangor is a possibility. The guy that is leaving today is going via Frankfort and Denver to Texas. Depends on what cheap seats the company can find for us.
    .................................................. .....
    Jeff,
    It's a job with some unusual environmental issues. Im paid for the risk, don't assume for a moment Im happy about it. This can be scarey work. My risk is trivial compared to the MP's that patrol the MSR (Main Supply Route) and engauge these bozo's directly.

Every so often a unit comes back to the base and reprovisions their vehicle. When you see a bunch of empty 50 cal shells on the ground, you can be sure someone got caught doing something stupid.

One of my fears is when I get home, not being able to adapt to the nice safe civilian world.

Normal people would think it a tragidy that we killed 1000 people in Faluja. The trick is to remind such people that we took 2900 some odd dead on 9-11 and over 1000 combat dead, not to mention a few beheadings for color. What if I say what I really think to someone who disagress with me and I end up denouncing them in public.

I now know why some vets end up on the streets, and most of them saw more than I have.

Im going to paraphase a David Drake quote "Knowing that some people are better off dead has given my life meaning". Bad Karma, good war. My Karma has been jammed for years, not too concerned.
    .................................................. .....

Luna,
    The only time Im at real risk is in transit.

The attack is similar to a nasty traffic accident on your corner. Someone else doing something stupid to another stranger. Unless your caught up in it, you survive it. Swerve, dodge, or duck, avoid the moving parts, and offer aid if required.

Then again most of us don't live in a free fire zone.

I was supposed to get a chopper flight out of here but that went poof. Now I have to take an overland path. Fortunatly going soulth is safer than going north towards Baghdad.

Bad things happen in any neighborhood. That's why we have police.
    .................................................. ..

Mr B, and JS,
    Im looking foward to a real dull trip to Texas and demob. Then a quiet trip back to Virginia and seeing the wife and dogs. After that life heats up again. Got a very sick parent in FLA.

Im looking foward to removing "In Iraq" from my sign in and replacing it with "In the first world" when I get home. You can't imagine how miserable the third world is.

In many ways I hope you never do. It also explaines a lot of the stupid stuff that happens here. The wars, ethnic clensing, shear graft, and various flavors of abuse. We are lucky to be citizens of the first world.

One of the things I saw on the truck trip to this base were locals begging for food. You expect to see kids begging for treats from passing trucks. Some of them were so thin, if they managed to catch an MRE, it would have knocked them flat. It's sad when hunger over comes dignity and you see old Arab men in full robes, begging on the side of the road next to the kids.

Poverty no matter who has it, is never a nice thing to see.

Saddam ran this country into the dirt.

Kuwait is a much nicer place. Clean streets, healthy and literate population.

Iraq has improved in the year Ive been here. A thousand little benifical acts have a huge collective effect. Another thing that never makes it to CNN.

.................................................. ....
    JSB,
    I will make an honest effort to come back in intact. My wife would be real annoyed if the head came back in a hat box. (remember what I said about dealing with the normal world, sometimes gallows humor is all you get)

As for how many are serving here, I gather a few. Mr Unicorn is here someplace. A few guys from my gun rights board.

Had a wild one in July.

When I came back from R and R in europe I got stuck at Camp Doha for a few days. Im in the PX looking around and someone taps me on the sholder and askes if Im Jack Crow. (I use the same name on that board as well). The guy was working commo at Doha but was more of a lurker than poster.

He rememberd my photo from someplace. Small world.

Perhaps you can start another thread for guys serving and working here. Expect a few answers.

All,
    Many thanks for the kind words.
    Will keep you posted as I cycle out through camp Doha Kuwait and if I get the chance to in Texas.

Also thanks for keeping me sane and with some sense of prespective.

It's nice to have a family this far from home.

Keep it warm
    Jack Crow in Iraq

Flashaholic*

With all the crazy stuff over there, I'm surprised all you contractors weren't issued poison pills to take in case of capture. Best of luck to you.

We're looking forward to seeing you posting from CONUS once more, and our thoughts are with you. You're nearly home, and in a very short while, you will be. Don't ask me how, but I know the last few days cause the most anxiety. It's the "we've-made-it-this-far-and-hopefully-nothing-else-goes-wrong" feeling.

Take it easy when you get back and the only thing I can probably say is that.. ignore those people who don't see it the way you do. Try to remember that they have not been there and done it. I understand you feel very strongly about certain things that you have seen (and so do I, but about different things - I certainly haven't been to Iraq), and similarly, we both have to deal with the ignorant who put words before actions. Know that you are better for having done something about it whereas they just talk. You will know the kind who have walked the same path as you did because they will very likely share the same insights that can only be gained from walking the path.

This is advice I could use myself but more often than not, somehow, I can't do it.

Flashaholic

City and Kevin L,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I look at Camp Doah as a 'half way house'. When I first visited the place back in December I thought it was lousy. Now I see it as a step back to what i remember as civilized. Culture shock upon coming home. Im looking foward to renting a hotel room and a car for a few days in Texas. Now nice it will be to buy my own meal, and not be limited to the choices in the PX.

City,
    The problem with weapons is not everybody has the internal will not to mess with them. How many cops are wounded or killed each year via accidents with their service gun, usually in the bathroom. A gun is a fun thing to play with while your having a seat. More than a few guys are in the military for life paying for expensive gear destroyed when they had to play with the termite charge on their crypto racks. Yes that happy little device can't be put out once it starts to burn at 2500 degress. It will go through an engine block in 30 seconds. (Imagine if the demo is done with a magnesium block VW engine??, talk about lighting up the neighborhood)

So a poison pill might end up used by accident. It's human nature and humans do dumb things.

I got to wonder, before the bad guys take a head, do they clean the knife with alchol to prevent infection?

Kevin,
    I suspect your right. I will have to keep my yapp shut no matter the verbal outrage I might have to hear. It's hard to cure ignorance without sticks and stones. (or their modern tools)
    I will try to heed your words, and if all else fails, do you know a good bail bondsman?

Later dudes
    Jack Crow in Iraq for a few days.

Flashaholic*

Jack,
    One of my friends (WA2GUG if you know him) says "Oh, so he's a single digit midget now"

Keep it safe

Be careful out there.... We can only imagine how frightening that must be....

Glad you're OK, Jack. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Now when you get back into The World and you hear a door slamming...remind yourself it ain't a mortar round. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif[/img]

Flushed doves and upland fowl do it to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Come back safe Jack.

As for readjusting to the default world just ignore them. And/or just bounce back with some good ol gallows humor and let them stew in it. Don't take it too personally. A lot of them really have no concept.

Mutie

Flashaholic

Answers guys
    IXE,

WA2GUG, is not ringing any bells, but thanks for the kind words.

You know what's real strange. Im annoyed. In less than two weeks I will be out of work again.
    Got issues at home, and issues with family. Life sure ain't simple. Did manage to make most of my goals for the year. Bills are paid off, some tools purchased, cars paid off, truck rebuit, and if all goes well, I will be buying a (legal in VA)full auto Mac10 with a supressor. That should be a cool gun to have. Consider it an investment property.
    D'mo,
    Frightening, afterwords you get the shakes or twitches. Mostly it's annoying. It's a gross intrusion on my time. If I knew just who, it would be my pleasure to beat them with an iron pipe. When people are trying to kill you out of sheer cussudness, it's not within my range to forgive and forget, they will be back, for another try.It was luck and casual stupidity that kept the rounds out of the base and not hit any neighbors homes.
    .................................................. ......
    I know little of hunting, but I once had a phesant break and fly away from me, for something covered in feathers it makes a racket. I was thinking of buying some fireworks in SC and finding a place I can trigger them to get used to 'happy bangs' again. Self inflicted mental health. Consumer fireworks don't make the ground thump like real ordinance.
    .................................................. ...
    Mutie,
    Now that's an idea. Wish I thought of it, but I will make use of it.

I don't like to mess with peoples heads, there is no sport in it, because it's so easy.

What if I say something like 'sterlizing the knife before removing heads' to a member of the weak thinking crew. Perhaps they will shut and leave.

Or telling my unworthy yammer head they would look good in an orange tee shirt. (on the back would be an arrow and lettering that says 'chop here' in arabic?)

This could be good. Sick jokes are a specialty.

Later dude

Jack Crow in Iraq.

wow! how scary! glad to hear you and everyone else is ok. glad to hear that you'll be coming home soon. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just don't over do it. Like Tabasco you just need enough to spice things up.

There is also the the more subtle approach of going along just enough to really sic it to them when you've got their attention.
    There is a time and place for everything. And there will be the occasional moron who won't get it no matter what. Don't let them get to you.

Mutie

Keep safe Mike.

The shakes/twitches right afterward are the adrenaline aftermath. Try doing some mid/heavy physical activity to help burn it off. The shakes/twitches later are the psychological ones. You'll have to work on that aspect yourself.

Don't get sloppy with the safety SOP in the short time left. Incoming doesn't know or care if are supposed to go home soon.

Flashaholic*

Come home safe Jack,
    daloosh