Coast Cutlery

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. I had one of those 4 D cell maglites that i bought years ago but all of the sudden i lost it. I have no idea what i did with it. I was pretty impressed with it's performance. Anyways... i know a lot has improved. I'm thinking about LED as it's got longer battery life and longer bulb life. Anyways... what's really bright? maybe... something along the same size as my maglite was? I was thinking about this one from coast cutlery.

http://www.coastcutlery.com/?v=34&pl=141&p=408

What do you guys think? Is there a better one or something? Anyone here ever used it? My local store sells them but they are around $89 so i dont want to waste the money if it's not worth while. The thing is made in germany, so i have no idea on how to read the light output specs.

thanks for all your help.

Ratso

Enlightened
If you want a bright, heavy duty aluminum LED flashlight, check out ElektroLumens line of Luxeon III flashlights. A Blaster 3P's light output is about equivalent to the Mag 4D.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Welcome!

$89 for a light that uses 16x 5mm LEDs is a bit steep (mitigating factors: nearly indestructable stainless housing and whatever perceptions you have about German engineering). I think you'll find the output a bit disappointing as well since a typical 5mm LED puts out 1-2 lumens of ghostly blue-white light. Figure 30 lumens from an oustanding sample which might disappoint you if you're accustomed to a 4D maglight.

You'll find that folks around here on the LED forum will babble on endlessly about the wonders of the Luxeon LED. Luxeons are available in 1, 3, and 5-watt flavors, while the 5mm LED typically peaks at 70 milliwatts of power (0.07 watts). A good luxeon puts out intense white light with only a hint of blue, green, or yellow tint. Luxeons typically put out around 25, 60-80, and 120 lumens in their respective 1, 3, and 5-watt flavors.

If you're willing to spend some money on what might soon become a horrible addiction, you might just cast a glance at a favorite CPF manufacturer, Elektrolumens, who offers some great, blindingly-bright lights at a decent price relative to what you might see on store shelves.

If you just want to test the waters and are willing to forgoe the big D-cell maglight feel in exchange for not risking as much cash, you could try lights such as the Underwater Kinetics eLED 4xAA, or the Streamlight Jr Luxeon, both usually available for around $25 at the right e-commerce sites.

If you really just want to see what the LED thing is all about for minimum investment, you could locate a Wal-Mart or Target and experiment with what has been labeled the "LED flashlight make for the masses," Dorcy. The Dorcy "1xAAA" LED light is typically $5-$7, bright, durable, and moderately resistant to environmental assault. If you want more than just a single 5mm LED light because of my bashing above, you could glance around at Target and try the Dorcy 2xAA, which puts out more light than the 1xAAA with 4 LEDs, and is whiter with a more even beam. I'd suggest avoiding the Dorcy "1 watt" LED light at Target due to reports of unpredictable quality, and because of the better lights from better manufacturers that I mentioned in the above paragraph.

Have fun!

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... the elektrolumens website is sort of confusing because it's not really well layed out.
What exactly am i looking for when i look at these flashlights? Like i said before i was using a 4D cell maglite. Is there one that's comparable on the elektrolumens website? I would like one that is a little better than my 4cell maglite if not better in regards to lite output. Do you guys know what i'm talking about? One that when i turn on, people will sort of be impressed.

thanks

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you pointing me in the direction of the "tri-star phazer?"
That seems to be the signature light. I am assuming you guys have had experience with this one? This light looks good for long range and stuff. What about close range? If i had to open the hood of my car to check on my battery, would the reflection of 217 lumens blind me?
Also, is the beam adjustable?

Sorry if my questions are rhetorical, i'm just really new at this. I had no idea there could be so much info for just a flashlight.

Anymore models you recommend?

thanks

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... sorry for all of the random replies... it seems that while browsing through flashlightreview.com, their LED section, and their charts, it seems as though the elektrolumens phaser and tri-star are the only way to go. They both have a peak output of about 216 lumens. 72 lumens with each LED. now the question is... which one to get? They are practically the same light, except one is 4c and the other is 4d. Almost the same output, except 4d has longer battery life but it's heavier.
They also say the 4d one's beam is perfectly focused so it's not adjustable. But the 3c's is adjustable. Is there a difference? Do you guys prefer an adjustable beam? What do you guys think?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Tri-Star Phaser is the flagship Elektrolumens light. Personally, I'd be hesitant to jump into LED flashlights with the Tri-Star, but perhaps that's not a great deal of money to you.

The Tri-Star Phaser uses C cells. Its beam is fixed. I wouldn't want to stare directly into the beam - LEDs are intense point-sources and optics/reflectors make the effect even worse. You could momentarily blind someone with the Tri-Star if you shined it directly into dark-adapted eyes. The oprics it uses are narrow-beam (6 degrees, I think), so its utility for close-up work is somewhat limited, but thankfully most optics have some side-spill at short range. I don't think the reflected light off matte surfaces would blind you, but that much light at close range would be a bit much in the dark.

I don't know if the regular 4D Tri-Star is still available direct from Elektrolumens.

Of course, I jumped into the VIP then the LionHeart, so who am I to talk about jumping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a 4d magg again then check out www.inretech.com
Get the trilight led kit with the $40 trilight3 option.
That's about 9-12 watts of led goodness in a familiar flashlight.
They can also put together a complete trilight3'ed 4d magg of your color choice and ship the whole thing ready for batteries.
See that light in my November avatar? That's the one.

Edit:
Here's my lengthy review of a Trilight3 I have lived with for the last 8 months. Trilight3 Thread.

One more thing, I have found Coast lights to be mostly heavy pieces of junk.
Things like;
hot, overdriven leds, wierd arse batteries required in many of them, not even as water repellant as maggs, worst bin luxeon leds (pinkish, greenish, bluish, or too dim), overpriced compared to similar, cheaper Chinese led lights.
Poke around in the Buy/Sell/Trade Lights forum for some good deals.
I have 2 21 led 3 AAA that I got for $34 shipped all the way from Hong Kong.
34 For Both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another edit:
Here's my review of the 21 led chinese lights.
M21 review thread.

Now you see how overpriced 90+ bucks is for 16 pyunee leds? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Welcome to a far better place to get good/great flashlights.

Ratso

Enlightened
The Tri-Star Phazer is BRIGHT. Much brighter than a 4D Mag, it is probably brighter than 2 6D Mags together. The Blaster 3P (3-D Cells) is about as bright as a 4D Mag but with a much longer run time. It has similar spot type beam (as opposed to the multiple LED flood beams). It does have a small amount of adjustment that can be made, but I prefer to leave it tightened all the way, because the head seems a little loose when adjusted out.

Another option is to get a Mag-Lite and use a LED replacement bulb or drop in module. InReTech makes drop in modules. Diamond, EverLED, and LED Corp make Luxeon LED 'bulbs' that replace the standard PR bulb, and can utilize the adjustable focus reflector.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
So.. basically... here's what i'm hearing. The best two lights are the Tri-star phazer and the trilight 3. The trilight is the best modded flashlight from a maglite and the tri-star is the best light that's already put together? is that right? Anyone have both that can comment? So... i think that i read somewhere they have the same # of lumens, but what about throw? Do LED's typically have good throw? i know that the tristar is already bright as heck but do they have good throw too?

thanks

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
World's brightest; Inretech Helios. (More flood than throw though).
Otherwise, a pre assembled Trilight3 is a good way to go at 160 bucks shipped. Not focussable.
The tristar Phazer is somewhat focussable and cheaper at around 120 bucks + shipping.

Or just give me to the end of the week to put together a real thrower with a single 3 watt led in the large stock reflector of a modded 3c cell magg for $60.
This one will look impressive from a safe distance too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But seriously, The Tristar Phazer, or Trilight3 seem closer to your needs.
If you need more throw and output than this, check out the spotlights forum here.
A Thor 10 million will definitely get attention from a mile, or 2 away for under 50 bucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The throw for any LED is typically only as good as its supporting reflector/optics.

Throw is a combination of brute force and elegance - raw lumens and optics. Optics can take any light source and substantially concentrate it, they can only go so far with any given power level and diminishing returns.

Due to their limited output, 5mm LEDs typically don't throw very well - just not enough output no matter how good your collimation. Typically, 5mm LEDs are designed for a given beam angle due to the internal leadframe reflector and its relative position within the package. Most 5mm LEDs are designed for beams of < 90 degrees, so there's usually very little light to strike a reflector anyways.

A "High Dome" Luxeon with a heeuuuuge reflector can throw disgustingly far due to the exponential increase in power over a typical 5mm... but not as far as a powerful incadescent or HID due to their power limitations. Luxeons are typically designed for wide beam angles - close to 160 degrees.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you're saying that i wont get the light saber effect with either the tristar phazer or the trilight3? Aww... that was the supposed to be the best part... but didnt' i read somewhere that "3rd shift" said that his custom trilight 3 had a light saber affect? Will the phazer do the same? How are the two lights comparatively?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, if all you want to do is impress your friends, there are some decent small lights that are awesome when it comes to total output. Maglites definately don't get much respect around here. Mags (esp 4D and up) do a very respectable job at throw, but the beam quality is just above abyssmal. If you are willing to use lithium batteries and are willing to have a non-LED light the Brinkmann Legend LX (available at many WalMarts for $20 with your first set of batteries) is a VERY decent place to start. Batteries won't last as long as the 4D Mag, and it won't throw as far, but beam quality is several steps ahead of the Mag and just shining it in a dark room is radically more impressive than the 4D. Don't buy batteries at WalMart. They charge $5+ for each of them. SureFire has a 12 pack on their website for $15.

For a bit larger light, the Princeton Tec Surge has very decent throw and scads and scads of total output. Runs off of 8 AA batteries. Not super impressive high tech machined aluminum, but very solid. These are $25-$28 from several vendors. Your local dive shop might even have them in stock.

There are so many lights out there that do certain things better than Mag. But Mag have good distribution and good name recognition. They are also good for using as a blunt force instrument if needed. But if you want small and bright (or medium and VERY bright) and are willing to pay $50 - $100, there are many very bright lights out there. DO some reading on the forum before plunking over $50 for a light you haven't used.

And if you get the Legend LX at WalMart, if you want anohter 4D Mag, they are on sale for like $16.88.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Alin10123 said:
So you're saying that i wont get the light saber effect with either the tristar phazer or the trilight3? Aww... that was the supposed to be the best part... but didnt' i read somewhere that "3rd shift" said that his custom trilight 3 had a light saber affect? Will the phazer do the same? How are the two lights comparatively?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish my Trilight3 did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
That's why I finally retired it. (with dignity)
I just needed more throw.
I have a 6d and a 5d maggs with 5 watt emitters that are far better throwers.
Even better than the stock incandescant bulbs that came with them when they were new.
The 3 watt emitter with it's smaller and more intense chip throws even better in a magg reflector.
Real tight beam.
I'll post some pics as soon as I get some made this week.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
So here's what i'm hearing. Correct me if i'm wrong. The tri-star phazer is a good all around flashlight. However... if i want one with good throw, i'll need an incandescant light (sp)?
So... basically carry both around?
Can anyone recommend a good incand. light with good throw?

thanks

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhh... the Brinkmann Legend LX is pretty good, like I said a couple posts ago. And cheap and readily available to much of the US. The Pelican M6 (incand version) is a step up in overall niceness, throw and price. The Dorcy Spyder is in there as well and can be had dirt cheap at Costco if you happen to be a member and have one close.

The rechargable Streamlight Strion is pretty good in the throw department and overall brightness. Plus the brightness is guilt free due to it being rechargable.

According to the throw chart on flashlightreviews.com, none of them are quite as bright as a 4D Mag though the beam quality and overall output of all the lights I mentioned is going to be better than the Mag.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which brand is it that you are reffering to? I'm sorta new to this stuff. Also, do you have a link to all of these?

thakns

[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
Uhh... the Brinkmann Legend LX is pretty good, like I said a couple posts ago. And cheap and readily available to much of the US. The Pelican M6 (incand version) is a step up in overall niceness, throw and price. The Dorcy Spyder is in there as well and can be had dirt cheap at Costco if you happen to be a member and have one close.

The rechargable Streamlight Strion is pretty good in the throw department and overall brightness. Plus the brightness is guilt free due to it being rechargable.

According to the throw chart on flashlightreviews.com, none of them are quite as bright as a 4D Mag though the beam quality and overall output of all the lights I mentioned is going to be better than the Mag.

[/ QUOTE ]