Dorcy 1 watt luxeon

carbonsparky

Enlightened
I just saw a 1 watt 3x AAA Dorcy flashlight at Target. Has anybody had a chance to try this one? It is selling for about $25.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
carbonsparky said:
I just saw a 1 watt 3x AAA Dorcy flashlight at Target. Has anybody had a chance to try this one? It is selling for about $25.

[/ QUOTE ]
I briefly handled one belonging to a friend. It looked very well made for a $25 1W Luxeon light. I am not a fan of lights using multiple AAA cells if intended for extended usage due to operating expense.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Quite a few folks here have been very pleased with this light. I think most have gotten lights with nice white beams, but the one I saw had a very nasty green-brown beam. A non-flashaholic friend of mine bought it and he wasn't particularly bothered by that and loved the throw. Frankly, I would have returned it immediately. So, while they are nicely made, beware the beam.

Geoff

STEVENT6

Enlightened
I also bought one at a local target about 5 weeks ago. A while back I read the reviews on it at the Led Museum and Flashlight Reviews. They both do a good job with their reviews. So I knew in advance that the light was decent. I was interested in the light because I could use common rechargeable batteries.

The light is quite bright, the reviews should give you an idea. Mine has a white beam with some rings, but its still ok. Its built sturdy and the metal is thick. Because of this it is a bit bulky and a bit heavy. Easier to carry in a coat pocket. Their is no lanyard loop. Its smooth and the knurling isn't aggressive so it may be easy to slip out of your hands if wet or oily. It also easily rolls on smooth surfaces. Its not waterproof, and has o rings but checking the light seems that the main point where water can enter is over the push button switch. So I cut a finger nail size square of duct tape and fixed that. Haven't put it in the sink yet but appears very water resistant now. The battery life is I'm guessing 1-2 hours dimming after 1st hour (never actually measured it). I heard other people complain about the switching options and because they don't like the fast strobe, it goes from off to on then strobe then off, with no way to bypass the strobe. It's about 5 1/4" long , 1" wide and 1 3/16" at the bezel.

All in all its a decent light good for general purpose. I like it enough that I never took it back.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I did not think to go to the LED museum. I tried a search of this forum and came up with nothing. I don't plan on buying one my self but I have a friend that is interested in a Luxeon. I was going to build him one, but it will cost more than $25 for parts and I would like to give him his options.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's also quite easy to take apart for mods.

Unscrew all the barrel parts.

Remove the switch cap (just use a small screwdriver, that thing pops right out, and it's not watertight anyway).

Then push against the retainer ring around the LED from the front.

First pops out the switch electronics. Then the LED module. Both modules feature a plastic barrel with two halves. Both plastic parts are not glued together and can easily be taken apart. In fact, the switch assembly falls apart very easily. The switch electronics module seems big enough to be easily replaced by something else, like a regulator, a two stage switch electronics etc.

For the reassemble, note the orientation of the switch electronics. If you put it in with the wrong end facing forward, the lamp is constant on.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
carbonsparky said:
Thanks for the input. I did not think to go to the LED museum...

[/ QUOTE ]
My evaluation of this flashlight is right here if you're interested.
Now you really don't have to go to The LED Museum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder how it compares to the v2 1 watt light? Sounds like its similar as it uses 3aaa batteries, but has an extimated 4 hour run time. I played with a rack at lowes and not two had the same color and all were off white. Green, cobalt purple, hazy blue, etc. Brought me new respect for my xpg.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife picked one up for her purse.

I ran it against my MiniMag w/BB400...very impressive!
Much brighter with a tighter spot.
Much brighter than my eLed too.

It'd be nice if it was regulated...but for the price, seems like a nice light.

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Mine died after a couple of weeks- the switch stopped working in the "on" position.
Had to pull the batteries to turn it off, and the problem repeated itself over and over, even with new batteries.
No problem with the return at Target, though.