Gerber Sonic vs. CMG Sonic

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I was interested in picking up several of these for gifts and as I was researching them, I've read that the new Gerber version is slightly different. In asking around, I've been told the Gerber version has the LED slightly extended past the end of the Sonic. Is this really the case? What other changes have been made? I'm not sure I like that considering the protected LED was one of the benefits of the CMG version, in my opinion.

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
Hey TIN,
I saw a combo package at Target the other day that one of their multitools and a sonic in the same plastic hell. Anyhow, I was just going to walk by, but then I noticed that the sonic had a nipple. Sure enough the LED appeared to stick out not just a little, but a lot. I didn't get a great look at it (girlfriend "You have enough flashlights and multitools!"). You might want to get a look at one if the protection of the LED is a concern.

DasFX

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks DasFX. That's what I was afraid of. It's not so much the protection of the LED, but the blinding/glaring sidespill that makes using the light difficult. That's why I only purchase the COVERT version of the Photon. The normal ones cause that blinding glare because the LED is no contained on the sides.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh hell no! first they ruin the ultra, now after just getting a sonic which i really like, this happen's? Anyone know were to get a older CMG sonic? i got the last one at my sporting good's till the Gerb's come in. damn! VDG

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad that Gerber changed the design of the Sonic that way. I have the CMG version and really appreciate the recessed LED feature because of how often I drop my keys and other kinds of abuse. I haven't had a problem with the cap being loose; I put extra silicone grease on it though. Maybe find the older ones on Ebay or consider one of Peak Solution's models? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought them both before and after they changed from CMG to Gerber. Gerber used a thicker o-ring in their version Sonic, making it stiffer to turn, whihch was a definite improvement. Otherwise, the light looked pretty much the same.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
I bought them both before and after they changed from CMG to Gerber. Gerber used a thicker o-ring in their version Sonic, making it stiffer to turn, whihch was a definite improvement. Otherwise, the light looked pretty much the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

... so you're saying the LED is recessed below the edge of the front-end and does not stick out? You should be able to stand the Sonic on it's top without falling.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I own a Gerber Sonic, and I can confirm the LED is not recessed. It does indeed stick out the front of the hood.

I would take a photo, but I can't remember where I threw the thing. It stopped working shortly after I bought it, and I never bothered to send it to Gerber for a replacement.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don''t know if the LED stuck out or not as I gave it to my son shortly after I got it, and he's off at school now. Didn't seem different though, as far as I can recall. That was an early Gerber Sonic, though...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
When I was at Gander Mtn. this past weekend, I got a good look at most of the new Gerber light products.

I can confirm that the LED in the new Sonic does stick out past the edge of the Al bezel. Quite a bit actually, probably 1/8" - 3/16". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I never saw the CMG Sonic, so I was standing there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif and thinking, "I thought the LED was recessed". Hmmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

Sorry for the bad news. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Maybe if we bit... I mean complain enough about it, Gerber might take notice and fix it. My guess is that they did this to get more spill light from the LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could find my sonic... it's so small I think I left it in some pants... I really liked the recessed led... that's what set the sonic apart from every other button cell light- no annoyng sidespill.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. You've saved me from another "buy crap that I really don't want" episode. That really does suck though. I was hoping the sonic would be a half-decent Arc replacement.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
so again anyone know any dealer's that still have CMG or early gerber's that have the recessed LED? VDG