modd'ng starter kit

knifebright

Enlightened
modd\'ng starter kit

Hey all
so my natural progression in flasholisism has led me to a great interest in modding. I've basically sold off most of my stock replaceable lights to fund all my modd'd lights and future mods. Thing is i'm really itching to learn to do this myself. I wish that i could find a set price begining modd'ng set. Such as comes with adhesive, potting material, emmitters, ect ect. Anyone know of or willing to put something like this together for us budding modd'ers out there.
jimmy

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Re: modd\'ng starter kit

Part of the fun of modding is learning about the various components and the way that they interact. You will eventually learn the subtle differences between buck and boost converters, and why you might choose one over the other. You'll learn why a boost converter is not correct when the battery voltage is higher than the Vf. You would not gain this insight by buying an all in one kit.

That said, there IS a place for getting people used to doing mods, learning to solder and basic assembly techniques. Wayne's Sandwich shoppe has all teh parts you'd need. You might drop him a note and ask him to sell you everything you need for a custom light.

Here's a tip. If you buy twice the parts you need, you can justofy the huge bill by reminding your self that it's two lights, not one. That helps you avoid dwelling on the act of spending 50 to 250 dollars on parts. Later, when you build the second one, it will seem like it's free!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

knifebright

Enlightened

Ya i know i need to start small. I'm going to pick up some emitters and adhesives. Ive already got the soldering down and the multermeter. Your right its just that i'm inpatient. I'll place an order today and begin having fun soon.
jimmy

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Keep an eye on EBAY, there are two sellers, 1 is selling 1W white emitters and the other is selling 1W cyan/green emitters. I just got a total of 7 cyan emitters and 50 5mm blue LEDs for about $11 with shipping. Granted the green arent what most people are looking for, but, they are the most visiable, and for about 1.25 each, I am sure I will find somewhere to put them.

Jeff

jaids

Enlightened

First, Figure out what you want to do with your mod.
Second, Read what others have done with similar mods.
Third, Read some more.
Fourth, Order the parts you are for sure going to want (converter, thermal epoxy, base light, etc).
Fifth, Get the tools you are going to want, drill and soldering iron.
Sixth, read some more.
Seventh, order the final parts.

Ok, heres my first mod:
1. Minimag luxeon
2. www.flashlightreviews.com mod section
3. cpf homemade+modified forum
4. VIP converter on its way
5. already set here
6. cpf sandwich shoppe
7. heatsink, kroll, 3 position switch, artic alumina

Thats just me. You might want to do a similar mod with lambda's smd kit+luxeon here: home.mchsi.com/~lambda2/kit2.htm
Good luck

kenny

Newly Enlightened

I agree with jaids, start with a minimag mod.

Then there are quite a few parts out there for the larger MAg models.

Then get a good donor flashlight (light a bowlingpin from haveblue) that light is a great beginner light because a ready-made circuit board from electrolumens or Lamda will fit right in. A quarter works perfectly for a heat sink, and if you can cut the little cylinder that the stock circuit board fits in, you can even get an optical lens in it.

Lastly, you could get a lathe and make them from scratch!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Buy a Maglite 2C, a 5W Luxeon emitter, some Arctic Aluminum adhesive, a pre-machined-to-fit heatsink (Yaesumofo's O-sink or Hotbeam's Hotlips, but make sure they are for "C" size Magites) and as skinny a gauge wire as you can find (30AWG to 32AWG recommended).

Then go HERE.

Good luck!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Sure thing - but then you must use a "D" sized heatsink (duh!)...and the switch soldering is a little different. Just make sure one wire is connected to the positive switching contact and the other, the thin flat metal piece (ground).

thatguy

Newly Enlightened

Mr. Bulk,
Why do recomend using very skinny wires? Can a 30 gauge wire handle a 3W Lux DD off three 1.5V cells?

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

Another question, Mr. Bulk,
Which one will be brighter and/or throw farther?
Your Space Needle II mod w/6AA and D body,
or a Lux III DD on 3 C/D cells?

thatguy

Newly Enlightened

Jimmy,
Check the BST-lights forum. I just ordered some 3W from eo2oo, and saw he is selling some 5W for $35 delivered. Other people are selling them over on BST also. Check it out.
Michael

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

Ummm..... Sorry about this, but my parents are very superstitious about paypal and won't let me buy anything from B/S/T. is there a website where I can buy good bin Lux IIIs for a reasonable price?

thatguy

Newly Enlightened

Elektrolumens.com sells them, but it doesn't say what bin they are. Maybe you could email Wayne. He personally answers questions very quickly.