Best color to use in fog/haze/smoke?

Redball

Newly Enlightened
Since I don't have an Arc LS (yet), will the AA mag filter kit fit on it. I like the idea of being able to change beam color.

ChrisA

Enlightened
i guess the mag will do just fine on it's tightest setting... it may be useless to choose a broad beam or too bright light because you would blind yourself in really thick fog/smoke.

Redball

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Chris,

I was just looking on Craig's site at the Opalec Mod for the mag AA. He has it listed as having a medium narrow beam w/mild hotspot. Do you think that might be too bright?

ChrisA

Enlightened
that would be just about perfect for that task... not too bright, long runtime and very sturdy.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Brightnorm, thanks for the link. It helped me clear up some things...
smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
In my limited experince it's not so much the color that's important in fog lights, as it is the SHAPE of the beam pattern! Fog lights usually have a flat beam pattern to reduce the amount or light reflected back into the drivers eyes. Shine your fog lights at your garage door and you'll see that the pattern is cut off at the top.

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
It's a fact that longer wavelenghts (yellow>red) are better in foggy conditions,they reduce glare and don't shatter as much as the shorter wavelenghts.

ChrisA

Enlightened
maneuvering in heavy fog/smoke is more about not blinding yourself than being able to throw a beam on objects far away. that's why i would choose a rather dim and narrow beam of red (the least perceived by the human eye) colour.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Roy:
In my limited experince it's not so much the color that's important in fog lights, as it is the SHAPE of the beam pattern! Fog lights usually have a flat beam pattern to reduce the amount or light reflected back into the drivers eyes. Shine your fog lights at your garage door and you'll see that the pattern is cut off at the top.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That ties in with the fact that fog lights are most effective when they are mounted as low (close to the road) as possible.

Brightnorm

Redball

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

What's the best color to use in a foggy/hazy/smoke filled environment? I am looking at either Photon or Arc.

Thanks.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Now I'm confused... we used to have yellow car lights here, wich were supposed to give less glare, but now people are promoting HID lights, wich have a slight blueish color, as the ultimate lighting...
big%20hmmm%2b.GIF

ChrisA

Enlightened
i would also choose yellow or red... using a red led arc aaa would give you a tight focused beam and wouldn't affect your low light adaption.

chris

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried different color LED headlamps in thick fog: white, green, amber LS, red LS, red/orange LS. What's been said about longer wavelengths is true.

Also, roy makes a good point about the backscattering into your eyes. That's why headlamps are not well suited for fog. I would use an amber or red/orange LS in a handheld fashion. It's a tough call because red cuts through fog better, but yellow illuminates things better. Orange is a compromise.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Redball:
Hi all,

What's the best color to use in a foggy/hazy/smoke filled environment? I am looking at either Photon or Arc.

Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oops. I overlooked your original question. I would get an orange Photon. I have one, and it's fairly bright and runs on a single lithium (half the cost). Don't get the yellow Photon. I have one of those too, and it's too dim to be of any real use. It's the biggest disappointment in a Photon.

I'd love to plug the Arc, since it's a much better light, but it's not available in long wavelength colors anymore. If you decide on that, though, get the turquiose. It's roughly monochromatic light is better than the white for fog. Atleast, I've noticed my green headlamp is better than white. White is the worst.

Redball

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to thank everyone for the great input...

I'm planning on ordering a few Photons from Vicomptel. Arc still has an Orange AAA, but at $28, the Photons are a better deal.

I'm also ordering the Opalec Mod for mag AA and use the filter kit with amber/red lenses.

Just out of curiosity, does a light with a red filter produce the same wavelength as a true red led?

ChrisA

Enlightened
red light has an approximate wavelenght of 630 - 750 nm. the filter in front of your mag simply blocks every other wavelenghts from passing through it. so the 'produced' colour should be the same as of true red leds.
take a look at craig's review page. there's a ton of information about every type of led. just enjoy
wink.gif

chris

Latest posts