Syclone?

jlfletc

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting the Streamlight Syclone. I like most of its features, including the dual bulb, waterproof, NiMh rechargeable, etc.. I'm a little concerned about the recharge time (12 Hours?) for its NiMh battery pack. The NiMh pack can be replaced with 4AA batteries as well. Can anybody tell me if 4 AA NiMh rechargeables would work in the Syclone, and also any general opinions about it?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`ve got one, but just the plain light without the charger/batteries. It takes 4AAs of any kind, and I don`t see why NiMHs wouldn`t work in there just fine. Unfortunately all I have round here are some ancient NiCds and half-empty Energizers so I can`t test that bit I`m afraid.

I thought the same as you when I saw it- great features. And sure, it is well made, it feels very solid, everything`s o-ring sealed so it doesn`t leak, it`s nice and compact and the built in pocket clip is handy and feels reasonably strong. It also came with a handy attachment plate that could fix to a helmet, strap or wall- so that`s where I keep mine, just over there (points to it
wink.gif
).

But.....the beam is crappy. The main bulb is quite bright but is very irregular and distorted even at the narrowest focus. At wider focusses it makes a Mag-lite look like a SureFire
shocked.gif
The LED is also quite dim and its beam isn`t very smooth either- a little 5mm amber Toshiba one with a resistor that runs it at a lower current than most amber LED torches. It`s the same LED as in the amber Stylus-2 but less than half as bright. It is not meant to be a searchlight on its own though- the LED is intended as a backup/marker light with a very long burn time (about 3 days) and does that job quite well.
If you wanted to beef it up, the LED can be removed (it just plugs in like the main bulb)and it would be easilly possible to make a similar replacement with an LED/resistor combination of your choice. I havn`t tried it but expect everyone`s favourite Nichia model would work quite well. Don`t forget the resistor though as it`s all-plastic so a vastly overdriven LED would overheat quite quickly I expect.

Hold up, I`ll see if I have any beam photos handy......

...OK you can see 3 beam shots on my preliminary-page about it here... http://electriclights.tripod.com/flashlights/syclone.htm . I can`t hotlink them from that page directly here sorry, Tripod blocks that as I mentioned elsewhere, a while ago.

If they worked on that beam quality issue (faceted/"orange-peel" reflector maybe) it would be a great little light, and the combination of bright bulb and LED backup is unique and useful, but as it stands, it`s nice, but impaired by that drunken spider-web pattern it projects.

rolleyes.gif

DaveH

Enlightened
I bought a non recharable one and indeed the beam is poor, and on new alkalines, 10 minutes continous use will put a dent in the batteries.

I eventually sold it at a yard sale for $5.

It IS a nice physical package, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

DaveH

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a couple of Syclones (they live in our cars). I agree with the other posts regarding the beam quality. However, the form factor is a very positve feature and is what sold me. My primary use is for a hands free light. Since is has a flat bottom and a tilting rotating head, it's perfect to set down and aim at your work area. I've used it several times for changing tires on the roadside. I also gave Syclones to the groomsmen in my wedding party (can't think of a better non-controversial "guy gift"). I've had nothing but rave reviews from this "Non-Flashiholic" group. Again, I would not trade my E2 or UKE for one, but it has its place in my lighting arsenal.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, it seems such a shame to have such a neat (as in small, compact, tough) little light with such a poor and "less useful" beam- that I had an idea. Now I`m not a big fan of the LED conversions that some of us do to their incandescent lights (for many reasons, mainly including lack of time and money) but I think the little yellow Syclone would be a good candidate for a "Mod". The low level single LED could be retained in some form, but also accompanied by a larger bright array of LEDs- maybe up to 18 of them. Or even a Luxeon Star. The silver reflector comes out in a second and I`m sure it wouldn`t be impossible to fit a board in there with LEDs on in its place. Even though they may not be more efficient than the original bulb (with white ones they won`t be) but the pure smooth beam would be much more useful than what it originally gives- and would make it all the more durable as there`d be no fragile bulb to worry about any more.

This is one I may try- mr Gadget is that offer of some Nichia S-rank white LEDs still on?

grin.gif
tongue.gif

jlfletc

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate all of the input. I'm not as positive that I want to invest in one now. With all of the negatives of the Syclone in mind, can I get some opinions on better performing lights with similar features (waterproof, LED and incandescent bulbs, rechargeable battery pack and/or rechargeable AAs, small size, etc). Thanks again for the help!