• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Aleph Toy and Tool

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, my latest fun was building the biggest small Aleph and the smallest big Aleph. You decide which is which:

a2_a3.jpg

I'm currently driving the A3 head at 750mA (nexgen), and the A2 head at 500mA (DownBoy). I think of these as the Toy and the Tool. The Toy is just way fun to play with. Pokes a hole in the night that you wouldn't believe for the size! The "Tool" is what I'd carry if I actually had to use a light for work every day. Great combo beam, compact to carry, and super run-time with the two cells, and the reasonable 500mA drive. I built this very light for a friend who is an HVAC guy, and it has worked out REALLY well. He was carrying a stock Minimag, of course. This runs longer and brighter with a FAR better beam - duh. Of course everything can be swapped around to suit!

As pictured, the "Toy" is offered at $224 +ship (button optional)
The "Tool" is offered at $201 +ship (button optional and not even pictured /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Don't like these? Let me know what you DO like, and let's get it built for you! Drop me an email at cpf at darelldd dotcom or post here.

------------------

I dislike PM with a passion, but am thrilled with email.

To avoid confusion and frustration, post your purchase interest here, and follow up with an email.

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
That is the new "trim" guarded cap. Same OD as the battery tube - still guards the switch and allows for tail-standing. The things it loses are the tapped hole for the swivel tab, and the 1/4-20 "tripod mount." I wasn't too fond of them at first, but now that I've used one, they've grown on me. If you want to keep your light in a holster, these are the bomb. They also make the 1x123 lights that much easier to pocket.

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks, Torch. I think so too. The combinations are almost endless - especially when you start tossing McLux and Surefire pieces in the mix. They're fun to play with.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yes ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... endless possibilities make endless fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The more Aleph and E-Series parts you get, the more fun it is ...
benrhard

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, so after seeing this picture, some folks bought an Aleph... but NONE in either of these configurations. So tell me - what *is* your favorite configuration? What are you looking for? You're obviously reading this thread because "FS Aleph" seems to interest you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've made the "tool" unit for a friend, and it is just the bee's knees. I'm a bit surprised that there are no other takers for that configuration. Ah well... tell me what you DO want!

was_jlh

Enlightened
The Toy config is great Darell, if I had the funds I would purchase one.

Darell

Flashaholic
jlh -

Well, thanks for dropping by and saying so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It makes a great night-stand light because it doesn't fall over when you fumble for it at night!

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that when I get some more funds I will be looking for an Aleph2 with a NG/500 head. I will be putting it on a 1x123 body and running it on one of the Rechargeable 123.
The great thing is the LEs are interchangeable. If you put the NG/500 into an Aleph3 head not only do you have a serious thrower it also will last a long time on a battery.
Just MHO

mut

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
mut said:
I know that when I get some more funds I will be looking for an Aleph2 with a NG/500 head. I will be putting it on a 1x123 body and running it on one of the Rechargeable 123.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have personally just started using a NG/500 with an R123. It really does seem to work great, and no magic smoke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guilt-free lumens.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:So tell me - what *is* your favorite configuration?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want every Aleph I see. But I'm still trying to master the lingo and learn whats what. One one hand, having the smallest Aleph (A2/1x123/trim tail?) has its appeal, but the Toy pictured above looks fun too. I'm in a smaller-is-better phase right now, especially for EDC.

My L4 is keeping me happy for now, but I'll grab an Aleph once I decipher the LE's and figure out how to speak Aleph-ese.

best regards

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
noodle, if your intent is to only ever run your LE in a 1x123 configuration, go with the NG500 (almost 2-hours runtime) or NG700 (brighter by the meter, but only a tad over an hour runtime). With either of these light-engines on an Aleph-2 bezel, you have a great task light with some throw. Now swap that Aleph-2 with an Aleph-1 or Aleph-3 bezel, now you have a light saber, especially with the Aleph-3.

DavidR

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mut said:
The great thing is the LEs are interchangeable. If you put the NG/500 into an Aleph3 head not only do you have a serious thrower it also will last a long time on a battery.
Just MHO

mut

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my ultimate Alph setup as well.
How well does the Alph2 with single 123 fit in a front pocket?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks t_i_n; I'll jump in and grab one once I figure out what I want. I can always sell it if I don't care for it, but I can't imagine that happening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have an e1e/KL4, but no r123 for it yet. Once I get an r123, I'll have the short body/wall of light thing covered; so when I get an aleph, I'll probably go for throw.

I tend to do lots of cogitating before emancipating $200.

best regards

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:
I tend to do lots of cogitating before emancipating $200.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoa! You should consider taking something for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously though, $200 is a chunck of change, and I totally understand!

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
DavidR said:
How well does the Alph2 with single 123 fit in a front pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fits just great. For pocket carry, I'd highly recommend the trim tailcap though. Removes a bit of bulk from the back.