Streamlight Keymate

capnal

Enlightened
Yeah. I was totally disappointed when my (actually my wife's) Keymate totally smoked my Arc AAA, especially when I had talked up the Arc so much.

Keymate is a cool little light. You might get some opinions on here about how it is no good because it runs on button cells, but I can get over that. Smaller than the Arc. Brighter, too.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
I ordered one of these from BrightGuys today. Then I looked on the net and found this place in florida and bought some LR44 button batteries 10 for $5.25 with free shipping.
Did I do allright on the price of the batteries?

dsl

Newly Enlightened
I love mine showed my brother who thinks $20.00 for a mag is a waste of cash. He went out and got 4 key mates and a new one for me just to say thanks. now I have 3 and will probably get a few more just because they are so nice.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one at Cabelas a few days ago. Its really nice. It is black with a green LED. I bring it to school every day.

-tom

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Usually I won't buy a light with odd size batteries but this is my exception.

I like it.
...small
...well-made
...bright...for its size
...nice beam
...inexpensive
...cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif ...the only light my wife (who thinks I am "flashlight insane") will carry.

JB

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but who wants to buy button cells? For a small 1 led, the infinity is still a better option. I thought the threading was wimpy on the keymate.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
But then again....just how often do you use a key-chain light? Those pill sized batteries should last a long time.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
aren't the cells the cheap kind zinc air batteries available for hearing aids? They are probably pretty cheap

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LR44 cells can sometimes be found on a 10 cell card-for $1.00 US.
Blackfeather Electronics still sells 'em cheap like that, I think.
-Also, they can be bought in quantity on eBay as well.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jbfla said:
Usually I won't buy a light with odd size batteries but this is my exception.

I like it.
...small
...well-made
...bright...for its size
...nice beam
...inexpensive
...cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif ...the only light my wife (who thinks I am "flashlight insane") will carry.

JB

[/ QUOTE ]

Now your not the only one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

beam_me_up

Enlightened
this thread seems to have got lost....I don't have a keymate yet but if anyone else does I'd like to hear more opinions of this light. I've heard it is smaller and brighter than the arc aaa. There is only 1 dealer in my town that carries it according to streamlight.com so I'm going to go there tomorrow and try to pick one up...I'll write my own review when I get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Blackfeather has been gone for months, but Batterystation had some cheap LR44's. They're alkaline, not zinc-air.

Beam_me_up, the Keymate is brighter than the Arc AAA when the Keymate's batteries are brand new. Once it's been running a little while, it's dimmer.

It's a well-made metal light and some people like it a lot. More power to 'em, if that's how their tastes run. Me, I see the Arc's AAA battery and long, (semi) regulated runtime as a huge advantage. If I want to use button/coin cells, I prefer the Photon-style CR2016 lithium lights to button cell lights like the Keymate. They're a lot smaller/lighter and they work just as well and their runtime is comparable.

Peak now has a light that seems intended to be an Arc AAA successor, though they don't call much attention to it. See their homepage ( www.peakledsolutions.com ), click Annameria Dallasandra collection, and see where it says 1aaa lug-style light for $24.95. I think it will be set for lower output than the Arc (engineering difference) but should run somewhat longer.

Here's a link to Roy's graph of Keymate output. See that it's down to 50% after just a half hour. For an Arc AAA, that would be more than 5 hours.

http://ftp2.itexas.net/Rbost/key-mate.jpg

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run my Keymate on L544 lithiums these days. I also transplanted an I.S.P. Korea 100mA superwhite 5mm led into it. Huge difference in performance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
beam_me_up said:
Really? In what ways? Longer runtime or just brighter?

[/ QUOTE ]
In both ways. The LED itself is 3x brighter and the light runs a lot longer. I didn't do a specific runtime test though.........

I was able to buy 6 of the normally expensive camera L544s ($8.each), for just $1.99 each.

BTW-the L544 will not fit into the Keymate's battery sleeve with it's standard outer wrapper on it. Carefully breaking it apart will yield TWO "1/3N" (equals 6V.) sized steel-clad Li cells that fit perfectly. This also gives tremendous shelf life and superior cold temperature performance as well.