L1 tailcap on an L4?

K-T

*Moderator*
Search for the McE2s in McGizmos forum, it might be what you are searching for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Now why would you put the dumb(->unregulated) L2 bezel onto the L4, both having the same reflector and maybe similar Luxeon V's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The L2 head *will* fit and spell instant death if driven on 2x123!

EDIT: at least the threads are the same. I have not confirmed that you will get electrical connections made as well as I see no reason to burn up a L2 head, just because it might be possible to do so! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
K-T said:
Search for the McE2s

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been doing a little research on that as well, trying to determine which resistor to get.

best regards

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
I went for the 30-ohm for the L4, because I figured the point of "low" (for me) was to conserve battery life. Light output on low is very much the same as the Inova X5, if that means anything. Pretty nice for most tasks in the dark, easy enough for walking, or reading a page. I haven't tested it, but I was shooting for light at that level for something like 8-12 hours.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I got 15-ohm for use with a 150s Pila (3.7V) in a BE1.5 body and KL4. It falls in between a ARC AA and the ARC LSH or not as bright as the INOVA. Hope that helps.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hey powernoodle looks like you Hi-jacked your own thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
if the threads of L2 and L4 heads are the same ...

does this means i can put a PR head on it? but wait, the head got to be without circuitary ...

oh and 30-ohm is as bright as X5 but 15-ohm is just brighter than Arc AA?

should lower resistance be brighter?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
Hey powernoodle looks like you Hi-jacked your own thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its all the same subject, really - trying to figure out what tailcap to put on my new toy (L4).

Mr. Dead - Inova X5 light sounds good, so maybe I'll go with a 30 ohm.

best regards

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations on your new friend.

I think I read that Don himself likes the 60 ohm, which has got to be pretty dim. Most people seem to go for the 22 ohms. I wanted to extend the battery life a little longer in an emergency. There's been once or twice when I could have used a little more light on low, so, what the heck, you just have to break down and kick it up to it's normal power once in awhile.

Only real downside is that if you show people the "low" setting first (which is natural, the way the switch works) they're unimpressed with the light level.

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stockae92 said:
oh and 30-ohm is as bright as X5 but 15-ohm is just brighter than Arc AA? should lower resistance be brighter?

[/ QUOTE ]

The two posters are using different batteries options - the first one using 2xCR123 while the 2nd one using rechargeable Pila. And yes, the batteries and the voltages would affect your resistors choice. For the same batteries, 60 ohms would the dimmest.

Flashdark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
The L2 head *will* fit and spell instant death if driven on 2x123!

EDIT: at least the threads are the same. I have not confirmed that you will get electrical connections made as well as I see no reason to burn up a L2 head, just because it might be possible to do so! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey McGizmo,

What DOES work is:

1. L1 + E2S + KL5

2. L2 + E2S + KL5

Very interesting results. The question IS - am I doing any HARM to the KL5???? The KL5 is regulated to handle 2x123s for 6 volts, and this is the most that I could be getting to it, so.........??

McGizmo

Flashaholic
flashdark,
You have one converter working down stream from another. Your question is one of electronics that I am in no position to answer! It's all magic to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Flashdark

Enlightened
McGizmo,

It's all majic to me also. I just found it interesting to get a 2-stage LED with more throw for the power input than the L1 or L2 heads. Unfortunately, I don't have two of everything so I can't do a side-by-side comparison as to just how MUCH more. I assume that with the regulation in the KL5 head to handle up to 6 volts of input, that I couldn't be doing THAT any damage, because the L2 won't through-put any more than that. The only thing that concerns me is whether the regulation circuits in the L1 and L2 bodies can handle the DRAW of the KL5 head without damage. Both the L1 & L2 will illumninate the KL5 in both "Lo" & "High" positions, so the Vf (if I understand that correctly) of the KL5 must be fairly low. Perhaps, someone else can jump in with the electrical theory. Oh well, they don't call it an "expensive search-in-progress" for nothing. Of course, the U2 will negate all of this foolishness, but it is fun!