What's the best AAA flashlight to buy???

mikeskim

Newly Enlightened
What\'s the best AAA flashlight to buy???

Hi im a newbie. I am trying to get a keychain flashlight
that runs on AAA..maybe as small and as bright as arc AAA??
I looked at ebay and the arc AAA is a little bit expensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
any ideas on what to get?? thanks

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s the best AAA flashlight to buy???

Go for one of the Peak AAA lights or a CMG/Gerber Sonic.

Geoff

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want brighter, much brighter, then get a Arc AAA and send it to LED_ASAP to modify with a luxeon, and run it off a rechargable AAA.

Of course it is even more expensive, but much brighter and the difference to me was worth it. I also thought the normal Arc AAA was too pricy.

But if that is not what you want, I also second the Peaks, they are popular around here.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

ASAP or other lux mod's to solitaire's. someone has a re-chargerable one coming out. and someone has a peak lux mod, also rechargable.Hell i took off my arc AAA and put on my solitaire "quickbeam" easy mod.i like it better aside from the furious color, cause it throw's better. VDG

Topper

Flashaholic*

I pulled my ARC AAA from active duty on the keychain and bought the Peak prototype bare al and its works fine for me.
I do not have a sonic.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

The simplest, cheapest alternative would be a Maglite Solitaire, Dorcy AAA, or Dorcy AA. These are readily available at most retail stores (Walmart, Lowe's, Office Depot, etc).

The CMG/Gerber and Peak LED Solutions keychain flashlights are a step up in quality. The Peak AAA lights are longer than a standard Arc AAA. They used to make "prototype" bodies that were basically the same as an Arc AAA body, but they're currently out of stock (it's rumored they will be available again in a few weeks). The single LED Peak lights are not as bright as an Arc AAA, because Arc got a little extra brightness by overdriving the LED. The Peak lights generally cost around $30-40.

Peak LED Solutions flashlights

You could have an Arc AAA (or Peak AAA) modded by LED_ASAP or d'mo. I know LED_ASAP is still doing mods because I just ordered one. d'mo's mod is more of a thrower, but the beam is a bit square. The cost is about $65-80.

Arc AAA vs Peak AAA vs LED_ASAP Arc AAA Luxeon mod

d'mo Arc AAA mod

For a really bright custom job, take a look at andrewwynn's "Nano" light.

Andrewwynn's Brass Peak AAA Lux 3 Mod

WLDock

Newly Enlightened

If would like a small 2 1/2" light that cost ~ $10 and don't mind button cells and a quick drop-off on the run time chart, the Streamlight Keymate is a nice light. As bight or brighter than an ARC aaa on fresh batteries but drops off to ~50% of it's original output in about 1 to 2 hours. After that the batteries do last a very long time with a usable amount of light. Button cells are cheap on ebay however.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=759199&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dorcy AAA will impress too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
At about $6 at Walmart, it's almost a steal.
Might as well collect all colors available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
3-4 hours of good light comes from this one on a single AAA cell.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

If you don't mind long runtime in exchange for reduced light output the uke2AAA eled is not bad depending on your use of the light.

Longbow

Enlightened

Drjones I enjoyed your review. Very nice! Also your comparison of the Peak and Arc are right on.

gorlank

Enlightened

I just got a TNC N cell light. Superb quality, small and eminently pocketable. It's also brighter and throws better than the Arc AAA. I'm dying to get another one and have been lurking like a vulture on the TNC web site. This is definitely a case of demand exceeding supply. Agree that the Arc AAA is priced pretty crazily right now.
Great review on the Peak, Dr. Jones.

I'd say your best bet would be the Peak.

stockwiz

Enlightened

If you want cheap but still want a nice finish and better quality then a dorcy AAA, your best bet is the Gerber Sonic.

http://www.pocketlights.com/sonic.asp

Right now there is a gap since Arc went under for good 1 (or 3) LED AAA lights, HA and small like the Arc... peak really needs to get those arc bodies in because their standard bodies imo are too large.

I EDC a TNC N cell on my keychain.. small, type 3 HA, mineral glass lens... looks good as new after 2 months of keychain use with a beautiful beam and perfect brightness.