is it me or do infinity ultra's go forever?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it me or do infinity ultra\'s go forever?

I have used mine several times a day/night, and it is 3 mth's old and I took the batt out (lith E2)and it read's 17.32. I read with it sometime's, look around in my travel bag on the Bus, and i am sure it''s got more then 10 hr's of constant run time if that was added all togather.
Not overly bright but still.... VDG

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Re: is it me or do infinity ultra\'s go forever?

My Ultra-G is still on its first lithium as well, but I don't use it quite as often as you.

StuU

Enlightened

My Infinity standard was purchased 3 years ago- it's still on it's first battery (lithium). And it does get used several times a week.

STEVENT6

Enlightened

Their supposed to last about 25 hours on a battery, and I guess a it can last a lot more on a lithium. I have an older non ultra which is about 1/3 as bright and its supposed to last 41 hours on a battery. So with 10 hr's of constant run time you have a ways to go before you need a battery.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I was so impressed with mine, that I put a standard alkaline (ray-o-vac I think) in it, and it ran for DAYS, when run for at least 8 hours per day, albeit kinda dim after about 2 days. It was still bright enough to read with just before the end of it all. I immediately bought another one, and now own 3 ultras, 1 of which is an ultra-G, as well as a standard Infinity. Maybe it was a fluke, but it sure is an impressive light. I may do a run test with all of mine, some with alkaline, some with lithium, just to see how long they last.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Here's the runtime plot that I performed on my CMG Infinity Ultra-G. Wal Mart house brand alkaline batteries were used.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

The runtime is impressive. I bought an Ultra last July or so, I think. Maybe August. But I think it's on it's third battery and it gets used quite a bit.

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened

I purchased an Infinity Ultra a couple of years ago mainly for a bedside light. I use it almost every night for "potty" calls and midnight medicine needs (usually less than 5 minutes per use). It supplies more than enough light for indoor light when you don't want to destroy your night vision. To me, it does seem like they burn forever. As VDG said above, I get at least 3 months on a battery, although I use regular alkalines. Don't know how the Gerber version compares to the CMG version.

CajunBabe

watt4

Enlightened

I picked up a couple extra, after reading that they are updating/changing it.

cmg-arc-gerber1.jpg

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

gotta love that! i wonder were the pic's of the new(and ruined IMHO)gerb ultra is? i don't know if you could put a kroll click SW on it, but that would be the only good thing about it. VDG

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

They do seem to last a very long time on one battery.

However, seems to me I remember milkyspit telling how using lithiums in the Ultra Infinity would not get as long a run time as opposed to using plain old alkalines.

Ahhh, here it is.....
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Guys, here's what's happening with the Ultra. It's not regulated, but uses only a voltage boost circuit. Doug Owen and others have studied the circuit's characteristics fairly extensively, and it's clear that there's no regulation going on in there, even though the marketers call this a "regulated" light.

Now don't flame me, please, because I love the Ultra! It's my favorite of the single cell Nichia lights, and a great value IMHO. But I also believe in calling a spade a spade, and in this case, the Ultra is simply not regulated.

With that in mind, it's easier to understand the "strange" behavior using a lithium AA cell. The way the circuit works, the higher the input voltage, the higher the output current flow to the LED. A lithium AA cell has a higher voltage than an alkaline cell, plus doesn't experience as much voltage sag under load. The bottom line is that it delivers more voltage to the circuit, and hence more current flow. So far so good. But two things happen...

1. Even with an alkaline, the LED is driven beyond spec. The additional current flow from the lithium doesn't result in all that much more light, mostly just increased heat. To be sure, you can see the brighter lighting on a lithium AA cell in a side-by-side test of two Ultras, but just eyeballing a single light first with an alkaline, then with a lithium, you would have a hard time seeing it. And the heat wouldn't be that noticeable because it's not all that much heat to begin with. Certainly nowhere near the heat generation of a typical Luxeon. So to sum up this point, there is more light, but you probably wouldn't notice.

2. The increased current flow will cause the lithium cell to deplete itself more quickly than the alkaline. A fresh lithium AA cell has 3000mAh stored energy, while a fresh alkaline has 2850mAh. Pretty close. The small advantage with the lithium will be more than negated by the light's faster consumption of that energy due to the higher current flow. That's why the lithium cell is measured as having a marginally shorter lifespan in this light than does the alkaline.

Incidentally, the reason a lithium does so well in those other lights has more to do with the alkaline being "miscast" in those lights (to use theater terminology) in the first place. Alkalines excel at delivering small amounts of current flow. They're rated for current flow of 25mA. A typical incandescent light and even a Luxeon light, though, will demand 500mA or more. At that level of discharge the alkaline will no longer exhibit its rated capacity of 2850mAh, but instead will behave as if it has far less capacity. Meanwhile, the lithium cell will crank out these higher currents with much less degradation of its capacity rating. So the higher the current draw, the greater the benefit to using lithium cells.

Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the entire thread .... here.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

VDG, it does go on forever. I guess that's why they call it the Infinity Ultra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I conducted a test to run the batteries flat, it took literally six days of nonstop run before the light stopped lighting up at all. I wouldn't say the last 3 days are useable light, it's absolutely minimal light. The first 3 days are however nice and bright even though it's not at full brightness, you can definitely get stuff done with it.

This is one light I'd put a lithium AA in and never bother carrying reloads for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
VDG, it does go on forever. I guess that's why they call it the Infinity Ultra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I conducted a test to run the batteries flat, it took literally six days of nonstop run before the light stopped lighting up at all. I wouldn't say the last 3 days are useable light, it's absolutely minimal light. The first 3 days are however nice and bright even though it's not at full brightness, you can definitely get stuff done with it.

This is one light I'd put a lithium AA in and never bother carrying reloads for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD. I have learned so much from you and milkyspit hoghead and so many other's here, I took a recommendation on the ultra bought two, and don't regret it! (got two ultra-G's too) may not be a regulator, but after all this time held up to a new batt in my other ultra there the same brightness, that's impressive!
I may have been a little hard on gerber earlier in my above post, but i think it's cause I like this lite so much.
The new form factor just is shot to hell for me.I guess with the extra length, and rear SW, it could have easily been a Luxeon, with a clickie, and just left the ultra alone.

and now with the sonic being changed I don't get the mentality of gerber in making great light's lesser.I just got the sonic, marked "CMG" and love it because i like throw, it's brighter then my AAA arc,( i know i won the LED lotto here, most are not I am told) i got a nice tight rear SW,(some are too loose I have read here) and now with the exposed LED, i am sure it will be in your eye's like photon's and even my fav PT eclipse and lose throw. OK rant off.... VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad to be of help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I suggest you grab the old style from Batterystation.com while you can, I know I'm gonna order some while I still can. Hmm.. I thought I'm the only one who found it brighter than my ArcAAA, but yes indeed, it is slightly brighter.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Glad to be of help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I suggest you grab the old style from Batterystation.com while you can, I know I'm gonna order some while I still can. Hmm.. I thought I'm the only one who found it brighter than my ArcAAA, but yes indeed, it is slightly brighter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know me too! i have spent the last 20 min's doing a search for that thread that had the pic's of the new ultra,
but i did find a couple other's that felt the same way.( when i started on CPF it was usually noted the arc thrashed the sonic in brightness so i took the word as gospel, plus i only have the one sonic and figured i musta just got a real flamethrower) Man i need a lesson on this SE, it's not quite as user friendly as other forum's SE's i use. ( Iam sure I am doing something wrong with the date's)
I do think i will order another "NOS" CMG sonic, and a sonic-G today. VDG