Surefire L6 - is it worth it?

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I got an email from everyone's least favorite vendor (Botach) offering the Surefire L6 for $200. I haven't had any problems with these folks, although I know others have. So that issue aside, 30% off the retail price is a pretty serious discount, serious enough to make me at least think about one of these lights.

So what's the light like? Is it mostly throw or mostly flood? The head on it looks like it's optimized for throw. It appears to be one of the larger CR123a powered lights, so I don't imagine I'd EDC it, but it seems like it could be useful for walking around through the woods at night.

Opinions from folks who've used one will be appreciated. I'm interested in ways people found this light to be useful, or things about it that they didn't like and that made them not use it as much. If the light is really useful, I might well get one, although it still seems pretty expensive, at least to me. (BTW, I realize the upcoming U2 is probably even better than the L6, but I'm assuming the U2 will be unobtainable for quite a while.) Despite the price, the temptation of owning "one of the best", which from what I gather is SureFire's reputation, is there too.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I like mine I use it w/ 2 Pila 150's, sometimes I put the head on the M4 body and run 2 168s Pila's you could use 4 123 cells as well.You can run it on the M6 if you have one.
Not sure what I paid for it. My Electrolumens Tri-Star-Phaser sees more use and cost less its brighter and throws real well and has flood to boot IMHO. Just walking in the woods an L6 will do just fine.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback! The EL Tri-star Phaser is a tempting light too. I bet the thing is just insanely bright. It's a bit bigger than what I'd usually carry on a walk, though. I'll keep it in mind, though. I'm glad to hear the L6 is works well for you, too.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my L6 It creates an instant wall of light with fairly good throw its physical dimensions are somewhat unwieldy but its so light its deceptive, when I absolutely want to see something at night the L6 is called up. the quality is first rate all the way IMO

Prolepsis

Enlightened
The size is fine if you plan to put it in a jacket, for example.

Out of the L2, L4, L5, and L6, the L6 throws the farthest, with the tightest hotspot. I like mine, especially since the runtime is quite good.

Syringe grip is comfy, at least for me. Like Topper, sometimes I use the KL6 on my M4 body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MrBenchmark said:
Thanks for the feedback! The EL Tri-star Phaser is a tempting light too. I bet the thing is just insanely bright. It's a bit bigger than what I'd usually carry on a walk, though. I'll keep it in mind, though. I'm glad to hear the L6 is works well for you, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

And from what I here, the switch is lousy on the EL Tri-Star.

Its suppose to be similar to the XM2 switch (I had the XM2s, and IMO their switches felt and looked cheap).

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi 357, I have had no problem with the switch at all.
It is similar to the XM2 and I have one of those as well.
The switch on the XM2 did suck I turned mine into a clickie
ala G2 Garrity mod. I am sorry you are having trouble with your Tri-Star-Phaser have you contacted Wayne about it? I think he will make it right for you if you contact him. I have only heard good things about the TSP he seems sold out again.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the same email and had the same concerns but this site really had good pix so I ordered one.

Interesting though, I saw elsewhere that Pilas won't fit. Wonder if there is that much variation in the body lengths.

-LT

Topper

Flashaholic*
I run mine on 2 150s Pilas no problem you might need a spring from Jon some do some do not not sure why. The 150a will not fit its too fat but 150s will work w/spring

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean that you run 2x150s without any mods? Also is the spring to which you refer the one that is used when running Pilas in a M3?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I use a L6 with two Pila 150S batteries. No modification was needed to make the L6 work with Pilas. Unless you consider adding the spring a modification.

The free spring is the same one that's used for the M3 with Pilas. The spring goes around the spring in the head of the L6/M3.

The L6 has a very nice beam and there's no donut hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Thanks for the opinions, everyone! Went for it! Light is on order. I needed to use up more CR123a's anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Looking forward to seeing the legendary surefire quality for myself.

Flashdark

Enlightened
MrBenchmark,

I like it.

1. Screws onto, and runs on the M3, M4, & M6.

2. Runtimes: 1 1/2 hrs., 2 hrs.+, & 3 1/2 hrs. respectively of regulated 80 lumen light.

3. Shockproof LED - good for weaponlight or rough use.

4. Ideal pistol/shotgun light.

5. Range about 80-100 yrds. with both eyes open, half that with one eye closed (most people tend to shoot with one eye closed).

6. Beam is much narrower than the incandescent with much less spill, but it has a nice broad core. High-contrast blue-white light.

7. Accepts the FM1x filter series.

8. Fits very nicely in the SOEgear.com "M6" holster, especially with a filter cover on it.

9. The host bodies (M3/M4/L6) are made to accept the SFM31 "high" mount for weapon attachment and STILL fit in the SOEGEAR.com "M6" holster (even with an FM1x filter cover on it). This is then "quick"-attached to an SFM14 or SFM16 barrel mount. Sweet!

In short, a fine head. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second one if I could find an excuse. Hope this helps.

Flashdark

Enlightened
MrBenchmark,

Sorry, I forgot the best part. Since you have not yet experienced Surefire:

1. You are buying the most versatile "upper-end" light body in their inventory - the M3 body. From here you can go anywhere in terms of heads, power, mission, tailcaps, weaponlight attachment, runtimes, special-purpose filters, etc. This is the primary reason that I bought the L6 (M3/KL6) - just to get another M3 body , a higher-power LED distance-head for versatility, and the new Z-58 "butter-smooth" click/on, lockout tailcap. I just may do it again too!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Flashdark said:
MrBenchmark,

Sorry, I forgot the best part. Since you have not yet experienced Surefire:

1. You are buying the most versatile "upper-end" light body in their inventory - the M3 body. From here you can go anywhere in terms of heads, power, mission, tailcaps, weaponlight attachment, runtimes, special-purpose filters, etc. This is the primary reason that I bought the L6 (M3/KL6) - just to get another M3 body , a higher-power LED distance-head for versatility, and the new Z-58 "butter-smooth" click/on, lockout tailcap. I just may do it again too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info, Flashdark! The light has been shipped and according to UPS tracking will be here on monday. I can't wait! The price from botach ($200) was too good to pass up.

Topper

Flashaholic*
MrBenchmark be sure to post when you get it to let us know what you think. I think you will be happy with it.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Well did you get it?? I can't believe how excited I am for a person I have never met getting a flashlight. I got it bad real bad.