Is L2 body built like a longer L1?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me if the L2's body is built the same as an L1, only longer? More specifically, the L1 has a circuit "coffin" in the top half, then an aluminum bulkhead in the middle of the battery tube, and enough space for 1x123 in the tail end. Is the L2 the same, with a coffin up front, then a bulkhead, except in this case enough room in the back for 2x123?

Thanks for the info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, imagine extending the body back for a second SF123A and filling the coffin with more magic:
IMG_4466.JPG

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is a well known fact that Al isn't very nice to his collection of flashlights. He often does nasty things to them ... alone in the night ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
It is a well known fact that Al isn't very nice to his collection of flashlights. He often does nasty things to them ... alone in the night ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

not to mention his certification in metallic disection operations...../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gifREAL NICE PIC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif
Does doing that void the warranty?
I'd also guess that it looses any water resistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Al: "I swear... it came from the factory that way!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to mention that this 'coffin' set up for the circuitry in the L2 seems to handle heat better. I think it is one of several improvements that give it the edge over the L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I'm really surprised...

I mean, it is a cool photo... but I'm surprised at this as an engineering solution. I mean, it looks pretty snug on the longitudinal axis presented, but look at the wasted space! Air is a pretty good thermal insulator, and it's going to be sealed, so I can't imagine there's much convection cooling going on. Even 2-3 sandwich boards would have taken a lot less room... and it looks like there's a THIRD PCB (counting the LED mount) in the tailcap! For that much acreage devoted to circuitry, you'd think it would gently remind you that the batteries are getting low in your choice of feminine voices...

Well, I wondered why the L2 was so much longer than the L4. Mystery solved, for sure.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
Just wanted to mention that this 'coffin' set up for the circuitry in the L2 seems to handle heat better. I think it is one of several improvements that give it the edge over the L4.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Is thermal failure a problem with the L4? I hadn't heard that.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've not heard of any either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Anyway, the L2 has two double-sided PCB's in it's coffin - I believe one for regulating the main beam, and the other for the high beam.

The L1 above has one double-sided PCB because only it's high beam was regulated.

Of course, the L2 was always in the pipeline so the coffin method was used to future-proof the design investment of the L1/L2. Once the 5W Luxeon was available the L2 could be designed - it was too long as 1W Luxeon product (IMHO).
Additionally, any advances or changes in regulation technology can be phased in by designing a new PCB that simply replaced the older design.

I personally find the L4 almost too short. The L2 is about as ideal EDC flashlight I've ever used.

Al

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
That's the second post I've read recently about a light being too small. Still trying to get my head around that concept. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can see not wanting to make the compromises that come with size, but the size itself? I'm missing something.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Wow, again. Assuming that's the L2 (it is, isn't it?), I'm surprised again at how different it is from the L1.

For one thing, look at the MEAT in that bezel where there was air in the L1. I'm guessing to help heat-sink the LED?

Seems evident that the cells exit toward the tail- only having the L4, I wasn't aware of that.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I haven't handled an L2 (YET) I have to say that my PR-T/BE3 feels better in my hand than my L4. It's longer and heavier but as long as I can clip it somewhere handy I don't notice the extra length. IMHO anything bigger than an Arc AAA is too big for pocket EDC. You mileage will, of course, vary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can sympathize with someone feeling that a light is too small for them. It's their opinion after all, and a highly personal thing... for items that essentially become attached to a specific person, or maybe associated with or accompany them is the better term, they become personal objects, specific to that particular user... and one size most definitely does NOT fit all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Among other things, I'd say watches, knives, and flashlights all fit into this category.

Now for my OWN personal opinion on the matter, I feel that a light becomes too small when I can't easily grip and activate it with one hand. I feel very strongly about this! But that said, I'm not going to try to claim that's the definitive test for everyone.

For me, one consequence of my minimum size standard is that I don't like to put Z52 (the twisty) tailcaps on an E1E body, because my fingers can't reach far enough back to perform the twist action without seriously loosening my grip on the light. I use Z57 clickies on pretty much all my E1E bodies. However, an E2E body, and even one of balrog's BE1.5 bodies, are long enough that I can easily use the twisty with those! I'm sure everyone has their own standards in these things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay, for all that rambling, I guess my point is that I can totally understand how Al might find a certain light too small for his tastes, simply because of the physical size of the thing, not the compromises.