Kmart-Sears "Merger"

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Kmart-Sears \"Merger\"

I can't believe nobody has posted about this yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Kmart, Sears to merge in $11B deal

Kmart Takeover of Sears Is Set; $11 Billion Deal

Kmart to Acquire Sears in $11 Billion Deal

I'm mostly impartial to this, except I'm now worried that the "lifetime" warranty on all my Craftsman tools (and I've got a lot of 'em) may end up being worthless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif I guess I better replace them while I still can...

Also, I spent about $5K on all new appliances not too long ago, and I'm just as concerned about those. I'm not so much worried about being able to fix them as I am about being able to get parts being that they're all Kenmore. I know the manufacturers of just about all of them (except the stove, which I'm pretty sure is GE), but most places I've talked to say they may not be able to get parts for the Kenmore stuff if Sears goes away (they're hard enough to get as it is I understand).

Anyway, suffice it to say I'm more than a little bit concerned. Hopefully it'll work out for the best, but I tend to lean more toward the pessimistic side here. I thought Kmart was just about to go belly up (no offense to Sasha) based one what I've seen of their stores the last two years (6 of 7 stores I know of were closed), and then they BUY Sears??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I admit that I for one NEVER saw this one coming!!!

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this may be the beginning of the end.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Re: Kmart-Sears \"Merger\"

I was totally surprised to see this happen too.
I can't say I really noticed too many KMarts around last 20 times I went south of the border. I KNOW I haven't seen one around Toronto in at LEAST 10 years if not longer.
We got rid of all our Kenmore stuff ages ago so I have no worries about that.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Craftsman and Kenmore are the most valuable parts of
Sears. So they will be around until Walmart puts all
other stores out of business.

Reminds me of that Stallone movie (Demolition Man):
"All restaraunts are Taco Bell."

Greg

RussH

Enlightened

If you look at the last hundred years of history, you'll find out that EVERY department store (or the equivalent) has gone bankrupt & been bought out by their competetors many times. Sears may be an exception, but I don't think so. I can remember this happening to Penny's and Goldsmiths, and a few others, but my grandfather used to talk about this same thing happening since the 30s. He thought it was a clever way for them to get rid of debt and for the buyer to get new tax deductions. It seems to happen on a 25-30 year cycle. Paper companies (in most southern states, at least) sell or trade their land holdings periodically for tax purposes.

Since Sears is buying KMart, I don't think you'll have to worry about losing Craftsman or Kenmore. Sears never made any of these brands anyway. Most of the Craftsman tools I bought in the 70s were made by Rigid. Other companies have made them since, but to the same specs. It wouldn't matter anyway, since these "namebrand" appliances are made by whoever gives Sears the best terms for the period of the contract. A few years ago, I had the names of the 3 companies (Proto was one) that made all of the tools in the USA, each having bought up their share of the name brands. It didn't matter if it was Snap-on, Proto, Rigid, Mac, or another name brand, they were simply made in batches on the same lines after tooling changes for the various different features. Now we have Chinese, too, so I don't know if all three companies are still making tools in the US.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
RussH said:
Since Sears is buying KMart.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Sears isn't buying Kmart. Kmart is buying Sears.

bigcozy

Enlightened

Kmart is my largest client, and I have a lot of inside info, nobody knew this was coming outside of the very top.

Kmart is not in trouble. When they emerged from bankruptcy their per share price was around $20, check what it is today even after buying a huge retailer. Most of this was from trimming poor performing stores and getting rid of some people. After the valuation of the real estate they owned, it was sold for far more than the courts valued it at. They reaped a huge profit, and then their stores started performing very well.

This is actually a very positive development. It allows them to combine their buying and distribution strengths while maintaining both stores. Retailers rise and fall, at one time both of these companies were on top. The idea that Wal Mart, or any other retailer is endowned with powers beyond the market place is not accurate. The retail market is in constant change, and whoever provides the best service to the customer will win. For a while.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

does this mean Lands End clothing and Dorcy luxeons will be available @ K-Mart?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think K-Mart forgot to "trim" my local store. The place has been dying a slow death for like three years now. There is never more than two checkout lanes open, and the place is usually deserted. A Wal-Mart right down the road is always packed. I would have never believed that the big K was fiscally sound, given what I see around here...

Peter

StuU

Enlightened

K-Mart has not been all that innovative in many areas. For instance, Walmart has been stocking all kinds of lower end led lights for 3-4 years now. Most of the big outdoor outlets have been big into led lighting for years. I have been checking Kmart regularly and have yet to see an led flashlight on their shelves.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

From where I sit K-Mart looked DEAD.

All the Houston Area stores closed.

I've long feared Sears was gonna go the way of Wards.

IF K-Mart proves to be okay, at least from Sheperd I'll be closer to Lufkin where they have one....

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

K-Sears could be a good thing. I was getting a little afraid sears would die because they were not competitive with their closest rivals and I figure half way between kmart and sears lies Target... which is so successful in its niche that walmart seems to be heading that direction.

I have noticed walmart dropping a lot of cheaper generic merchandise for almost all name brand items.. some of which went up in price 300% like phone accessories by SWBell and audio stuff by RCA. They seem to be wanting to now compete with Target which tends to overlook the cheapest products more often than walmart and kmart used to thrive on.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
IThere is never more than two checkout lanes open, and the place is usually deserted. A Wal-Mart right down the road is always packed. Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

weird! that's exactly how it is here. there are never more than 3 registers (two by the front entrance and 1 by the mall entrance) going @ K-Mart, and it's never busy. Walmart is 2 minutes away and is often full of ppl until midnight.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm, I wonder where they got that 11 billion dollars from then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I should clarify something about my earlier post.

If the item you are looking for is not in the Sunday newspaper ad, it's unlikely that any of my local K-Marts have it in stock. Stock on anything but advertised items and staples is virtually non-existant. I went in looking for some R134a and 10-30 Mobil 1, and found neither. Nor did I find an air or oil filter for the most common minivan in the USA. The shelves are pretty much bare for anything other than what you see in the current ad.

Also, the few people actually in the store are usually pissed off that they can't find what they are looking for, or find a person to help them. Just bad vibes all around, and it's the same thing every time I go in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Peter

Greta

Flashaholic

KMart got the money from when Target bought 37 of their stores about 2 months ago and Sears bought 10 of their stores a few weeks later. Seems KMart just gave the money back to Sears.

The KMart that I work in is a very impressive store... and I thought that before I started working there last year! Our district goes over into California and up into Nevada. My store is the top producing store in the district. The store is extremely clean and uncluttered... very well lit and overall a pretty cheery place. I never really thought this was anything special until I went to a couple of different KMarts throughout the country... and WalMarts as well. They just seemed dingy and dirty and I have never met any other employees who are so unhappy in all my life. Seriously... I call it the "my life sucks" mask. The employees of the store I work in are (for the most part) very close and very "family" like. Alot of them have been there since the doors opened some 15 or so years ago. I love walking through the store and running into other employees... we are always friendly with each other and overall, it's just pretty cool. Again... I never thought this was anything special until I saw differently in other stores. It's a shame really... we really do have a great store... and these other stores wouldn't have to worry about still being open tomorrow if they just put a little bit of effort into it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

kmart went out of buienss a while back here.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still by my LandsEnd clothing from LandsEnd. it just looks strange in Sears. A will Craftsmen tools in K-Mart! Someone is making one Hell of a killing off this deal.

chiphead

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

my aunt suggested the other night that they would change the name of all stores to sears and carry the same stuff. If that was the case they could probably close one at least here in town and other places as redundant, or make some of them specialty Ksearsmarts just carrying big appliances etc.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sasha your store is the exception around my area. The people in my town got a nickname for KMart- "Kame Apart" There is no Walmart closer than 10 miles. A target 2 miles away. Both of them are busy. The Kmart is empty like the other posters stated. The 6 mile away Sears seems empty too for that matter. I have a Sears card my self. Again, what would I buy there? Craftsman tools, Kenmore appliances, and glasses. Sears clothes are plain. Kmart clothes I would not want to be seen in. I wish both chains good luck because more chains are better. We have several entire malls that were older go under and get demolished (Monkey Ward died). Things change. Walmart has all the cheap stuff for daily living cheaper then any grocery store. They don't sell every appliance but Sam's does. Sears/Kmart has got a tough battle and I would say they are behind the eight ball at this point. Maybe not every market. (Chicago has NO walmarts inside city limits)

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

All My Lights

Some Lights

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Kmart clothes I would not want to be seen in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of interesting that you say that... Over half of my wardrobe at this time is from KMart... and they are NICE clothes! You all know me well enough by now to know that I'm a snob and don't wear crappy clothes... or shoes... or anything else for that matter! Yes, I am high maintenance... whatever... but that only goes to prove my point. KMart has come out with some new lines of clothing that are very high quality and very much "in" as far as styles etc. My equally snobbish and high maintenance friends are always asking me where I got this top or those pants or skirt or jacket or sweater... and they don't believe me when I tell them, "KMart!". Even the new lines of men's clothing are really nice! I noticed that alot of the men's styles are almost straight out of an American Eagle Outfitter catalog... and yes, the prices are comparable as well. Perhaps this is just my store... but I doubt it. We have NICE stuff now. Except the shoes... they suck... but then they aren't even part of KMart really. The shoe department is filled and maintained by some other vendor. We (Kmart) just provide the space in the store for them.

As I said before, it's a shame that you all don't have stores like mine. It really is a great store all the way around... except for the shoes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif