Better tailcap for Mini-mag?

tygger

Enlightened
This might have been posted before but i couldn't find it. Does anyone know if the new TnC pushbutton tailcaps will work on my MM mini-mag? The Kroll is great but i need something a bit more sturdy and water resistant. Any suggestions?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if you can buy a Streamlight Lux Jr tailcap by itself? Anyone?

Thanks,

-john

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the threads on the Streamlight Lux Jr. are not the same as a standard kroll switch.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know too.

Have any of the hardware mod folks tried taking the regular M@g tailcap and using the space where the spare incandescent is stored to put in a switch? There are a lot of very tiny switches made for computer hardware, and ... well, it's beyond me but I sure wish it's happen..

A little DIP switch, thumbnail-sized, poked either out the side, out the cutout for the split ring or out the base of the tailcap might work, with an appropriate rubber seal around it.

All it'd have to do is connect the spring with the flashlight case.

Or, heck, everything's getting smart nowadays, how about a switch that detects that it's being held and stays on -- or a magnetic reed that would respond to a little ring rotated around the circumference putting a tiny magnet close to or farther away from it -- or ....

I mean, there's this BIG HOLE in the tailcap of the M@g, and it's got nothing at all in it now but that little tiny museum piece incandescent bulb ...

tygger

Enlightened
Thats true. The SL Jr. Lux is a Kroll with aluminum (i think) threads instead of plastic but its still not really made for rough use. Thats why i was wondering if the new TnC tailcap would fit a mag. It looks real sturdy. Or would anyone know if an existing tailcap for another light could be modified for the MM? I'd definitely be willing to pay for one. I'm on a mission to honor my amazing MadMax sandwich with a better home.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've never had a moments gripe about Krolls until the one on my Madmax Mini started doing bad stuff.

Thankfully the one on my Lambda Mini works GREAT!

And geez! Just how "rough" are we talking about here???

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Rams HOOVER compared to almost ALL other clickie switches.

They are held together with glue. They feel less than solid. I think I have one on two lights only. A Garrity 2AA that I harvested the clickie from, and an Opaleced Mini. I once tried both of the ones FRYs had, and both were CRAP!

Krolls are in my PM6, MM and Lambda Mini, 1L and 2L Twin Tasks. And except for the one in the Madmax, all have been flawless.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree that a kroll on the madmax isnt really what anyone would want to go for...

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does anyone have SL Jr. Lux that they can try to see if the threads fit the Mini Mag?

Has anyone taken apart one? I'd love to see pics to see if the insides are stil plastic or what.

Thanks,

-john

gvmelbrty

Newly Enlightened
The Kroll-like tailcap switch from my newly-purchased SL Jr. Lux will NOT thread onto the back of my minimag.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, all.

Not to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif, while many of us are looking for the best clickie and probably most of you might have seen it--but what do you guys think of this Out-Tec LED Flashlight Tuner:

tuner250.jpg

Did anyone has any experience with it?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did like that tail cap but if I remember correctly you have to use the original filament bulb that comes with the stock MiniMag to get the tail cap light to work. So if the filament breaks you lose all three lights. And an electronic mod with the tail cap would be out of the question. Did I remember correctly?

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the concept, if the incandescent bulb filament breaks just use the spare bulb in the tail cap switch, every flashaholic has spare everything and any flashlight that comes brand new with a spare bulb is trying to tell you something.I might buy it if I can figure out the price for us colonists

AuroraLite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
haveblue said:
I did like that tail cap but if I remember correctly you have to use the original filament bulb that comes with the stock MiniMag to get the tail cap light to work. So if the filament breaks you lose all three lights. And an electronic mod with the tail cap would be out of the question. Did I remember correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, heck...after some goggling and reading, I think you are quite right about that--seems to only work on filament bulb...strike out.

How nice would that be if someone comes up with a clickie that is sturdy and has, say, a led as the switch button...hey, Santa, are you listening?

dtrego

Newly Enlightened
Awhile back, pocketlights.com posted his Shot Show 2004 report that mentioned a new NiteIze minimag tailcap - the IQ Switch. It supposedly worked with the Opalec Newbeam installed - I've never seen one for real nor can I find it on www.niteize.com, though. It also sported an LED battery meter, "find me" mode, and some other modes. Look here on his web site for the blurb. Wonder if it would work on an Arc LS, since the threads are likely compatible?

- Dwayne