BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I am going into new light overload. I bought, at the same time, :
Streamlight 4aa 7 LED light (23.95)
Streamlight 3N 3 LED light (14.95)
CMG Infinity Ultra (21.50)
CMG Reactor (27.25)
All purchased at www.brightguy.com

OK the Streamlight 4AA, 7LED light is "DA BOMB"! This has to be the best value in a LED light PERIOD! At 23.95 at www.brightguy.com, it is a real nicely priced light. AND BRIGHT! Much brighter and stronger and intense and dense a light than I thought it would. And there is a relfector in back of the LED's, which causes a very VERY slight uneveven "beam", but also gives more light than if the reflector was not there, so that is ok with me.

Also, for a 4 AA light, it is very nice to hold in your hand, thanks to the "double barrel" configuration, and the tail cap is also very very NICE! At this price, they could have easily made this a twist on, but Streamlight went the extra step, and put a rubberized built in tailcap.

I am very impressed with this light. for the price, and the quality, and the light output, man, this is nice.

I was going to say that except for a luxeon star, this is probably one of the brightest LED's out there, but I really think that this baby holds it's own against even a Luxeon Star! I have a living room, dining room, kitchen that is basicly one huge room, and I actually liked lighting up a totally dark 3 rooms, with the Streamlight 4AA vs the 4 Luxeon Star lights that I own.

I would be anxious to see how othe people compare the Streamlight 4AA to other lights!

AND, they are very honest about the run time of this light, a very welcome attitude not often seen in LED lights.

The back panel has a very large, plain as day, graph entitled:

"Beam distance over time"

60 foot beam at start up
33 ft beam at 6 hours
20 foot beam at 9 hours
10 foot beam at 65 hours
3 foot beam at 155 hours

VERY NICE STREAMLIGHT! Thanks for telling the truth!

Probably, this would be a good light to throw Lithium batteries into. I am just guessing, but I would bet 12-16 hours of maximum brightness with Lithium AA's.

Enjoy this light, it is real nice!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still wish someone could post a light output of this light compared to the Trek 7 and Lightwave 3000, which are other 7 LED lights. Thanks for the review, I may have to pick this one up simply because it has a switch of sorts.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by artar:
Are the heads of the 7LED version and the standard xenon bulb version interchangeble ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't have the Xenon bulb version, so I do not know!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by geepondy:
I still wish someone could post a light output of this light compared to the Trek 7 and Lightwave 3000, which are other 7 LED lights. Thanks for the review, I may have to pick this one up simply because it has a switch of sorts.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Also, I do not have the Trek 7 or the Lightwave 3000, so, again, I cannot help you here, but the Lightwave 3000 is 48.95 at brightguy, and the 4 AA from Streamlight is 23.95, just about half the price.

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by artar:
Are the heads of the 7LED version and the standard xenon bulb version interchangeble ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, they're not interchangeable. The guides inside for the lamp assemblies are different. Actually, the bodies of the lights aren't identical. The 7 LED body is about a half inch longer than the body of the incandescent 4AA Poly. I assume the extra length is to accommodate the different tail switch. The tail switch for the incandescent is momentary, with the positive on/off being by screwing in the head. The LED tail switch is click on/off but lighter pressure on the switch is momentary. The LED bezel is screwed all the way down, whereas the incandescent is only partial. The resulting difference in the length of the two is that the LED is only about a quarter of an inch longer.

I've got to say though, when you get this light, you'll feel like you've found the sleeper of the year. This light deserved more attention in its introduction. For an unregulated light its outstanding, and bright. And, it's listed for hazardous locations.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Empath:
No, they're not interchangeable. The guides inside for the lamp assemblies are different. Actually, the bodies of the lights aren't identical. The 7 LED body is about a half inch longer than the body of the incandescent 4AA Poly. I assume the extra length is to accommodate the different tail switch. The tail switch for the incandescent is momentary, with the positive on/off being by screwing in the head. The LED tail switch is click on/off but lighter pressure on the switch is momentary. The LED bezel is screwed all the way down, whereas the incandescent is only partial. The resulting difference in the length of the two is that the LED is only about a quarter of an inch longer.

I've got to say though, when you get this light, you'll feel like you've found the sleeper of the year. This light deserved more attention in its introduction. For an unregulated light its outstanding, and bright. And, it's listed for hazardous locations.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is the module easily removable for modding? Is there any free space in which one could add constant current regulating circuitry?

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Doug S:
Is the module easily removable for modding? Is there any free space in which one could add constant current regulating circuitry?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The module contains several little crevices for stashing away tricky little devices.
grin.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I was going to say that except for a luxeon star, this is probably one of the brightest LED's out there, but I really think that this baby holds it's own against even a Luxeon Star!"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If this is the case, and the cost is about the same as a Reactor, why would you NOT buy this OVER a Reactor, regardless of it's LS?

As soon as these come available, I'm getting one.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Doug S:
Is the module easily removable for modding? Is there any free space in which one could add constant current regulating circuitry?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The module contains several little crevices for stashing away tricky little devices.
grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Empath: Thanks for the info. Now I want more. Can you see if the module uses a single resistor or has multiple resistors? Also, would these resistor(s) be accessible enough for removal?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by artar:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, they're not interchangeable. The guides inside for the lamp assemblies are different. Actually, the bodies of the lights aren't identical....</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is a pity because I don't like the glaring yellow body which may be good for emergency ID, but garish and aesthetically unappealing for everyday use. I had hoped to exchange modules with my black incandescent 4AA.

NTL, I just ordered the light and look forward to comparing it to my Inova, Lightwave 3 and 4, Reactor, and Expdition 7 and 14.

Empath, have you had a chance to do any comparison testing?

Brightnorm

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Orion:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If this is the case, and the cost is about the same as a Reactor, why would you NOT buy this OVER a Reactor, regardless of it's LS?

As soon as these come available, I'm getting one.
[/QUOTE]

I still have hope that CMG will improve their Reactor.

However, you are very correct, with new batteries in both (the new Rayovac maximum PLUS, newly released at Wal-mart, but not using Lithiums)the Streamlight 4AA 7 LED (way cool name bty <grin!> just blows away the Reactor.

So you change out the batteries every 4-6 hours! That's still a really nice run time! And 3.50 for 8 AA's at Wal-mart, no big deal.

The only improvement that I would like to see (well two actually, but it would be one or the other), is to put an indicator light or something to let me know when the light is not at peak brightness anymore, or put in a regulator, so that the light would remain at a constant brightness for most of the battery's life.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Constant current source for less than a $1.00? That sounds very low.

Otherwise, at that price, an enterprising CPFr
can sell tens of these to thousands of us and make a decent living!!

- Vikas

P.S. I will buy one or two for every flashlight that I have (more than ten at this count)

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Vikas Sontakke:
Constant current source for less than a $1.00? That sounds very low.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Vikas: Strange but true. It only takes 4 components, 2 resistors and 2 transistors. Cheap stuff. I've probably built a dozen over the past few years.

JohnG

Enlightened
I just placed an order at BG then started looking........
It appears that Dept Services has them in all three colors starting @ $17.53!
That's item # 6800+
It doesn't say LED but it does say Pro Polymer 4AA.
Same light?

Edit: Thanks for the review, BuddTX!
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO! Their mainstream Pro Polymer 4AA is an incandescent. I have one. It was OK but the PT Tec 40 is better. Make sure it is the LED light, I very much doubt it is for that price.

Originally posted by JohnG:
That's item # 6800+
Same light?

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Al

Enlightened
Originally posted by JohnG:
That's item # 6800+
Same light?

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">68000+ items colors refer to the flashlight body color.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just went thru every retailer listed on Brock's flashlight page and none of them have this light listed, only Bright Guy.