Some help on L4

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Hi guys,
Please forgive me, but I'm bored, and have a question. I placed a Surefire L4 LED head on my E1 body. It screws on, but it won't turn on. Since the E1 uses 3 Volts, shouldn't the L4 work on it, as it is regulated? In other words, does regulated means it have some capacitor or circuity that will channel a lower voltage, and invert it to a higher voltage? Also if i place the E1 head on the L4 body (single 3 volt to 6 volt), will it blow the E1 bulb?

Thanks guys,
Warhoggie

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The MN01 lamp from your E1e will flash on 2x123.

Your KL4 should work on your E1e, but it won't be as bright on 1x123 as it is with 2x123. I think you're having a problem making contact. Make sure the head is tight on the body.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Some l4 heads will NOT light on a single 123 cell due to mfg differences in the led itself. Looks like you got one of them.

nexro

Enlightened
Turbodog is right, not all KL4 heads work with single 123 cells.
Perhaps you would like to try using a single R123 li-ion cell instead? I use mine in that configuration.

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Thanks guys,
Hoghead - when you say the MN01 will flash, does that mean it will blow?

Nexro - What are R123 (maybe rechargable)? And where can i get them?

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Warhoggie said:
Hoghead - when you say the MN01 will flash, does that mean it will blow?

[/ QUOTE ]

In place of Hoghead.. Nothing will happen with 2x123 and the MN01. No flash, no bang. You just end up with a dead bulb, that's what happened to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Sorry to hear Nekomane! But thank you for the warning so i don't make the same mistake!

Does anyone know if the L4 head will work on any three cell body, and will it blow it?

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Some l4 heads will NOT light on a single 123 cell due to mfg differences in the led itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone explain why some KL4s won't light up on single 123? Is this due to insufficient voltage? My impression was that once below certain threshold, the LED would be out of regulation and in direct drive. Wouldn't this mean that the LED would continue to light up until the battery was almost dead?

I was playing with my McE2S with 30 ohms (normally for E2e). I put it and KL4 in my E1e body. And the KL4 has no problem coming on at the 30 ohms low mode - even though it is very dim. So I am surprised to hear that some KL4s wouldn't come on at all.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Hmm.. I wasn't going to say anything, because I don't know much of anything about the subject, but... I screwed my KL4 onto an E1e body, and it came on just fine. Couldn't do a side-by-side, but I didn't notice any dimness at all, it looked (roughly) as bright as always. This was for all of about 10 seconds...

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insufficient voltage it is. It sounds like you got a KL4 with a high forward voltage (Vf).

When the light drops out of regulation, it will do what it can with whatever is left in the batteries, but if there isn't enough to light it up, it won't light. The L4 is a two cell light with a boost converter. You're asking it to do the same job with one cell. In some cases, it just won't work.

Warhoggie

Enlightened
After changing out the battery in the E1, I can now use the L4 LED head on the it. It's pretty bright! Heck it looks brighter than my Inova x5.

On another note...I'm feeling #%^**(@#$!@#$ about the L4. I (the idiot) submerge it to clean it off all the fingerprints and stuff...and now there's moisture inside the led, behind the glass / plastic. I can't seem to get it out. It still works though.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Try put that L4 in a container with some rice ( uncooked ), the rice will suck out the moisture. It works for me when my old watch gets moisture under the crystal and that is the reason why you can see some restaurant put rice inside their salt shakers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Good Idea AW! I tried using a hair dryer, but that didn't work. It's ok...as long as it works, I'm happy. Although now I notice scratches on the reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I bought the L4 as a demo at a local gun shop...who knows what it went through.