e2e + kl1 or kl4?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Absolutely.

That's the whole magic of the E2e, as we've discussed in a different thread. You can use incan for punch and led for flood and longer runtime. I must say I hated my first KL1 (it was really green) and had Chop put a 3W into it. Now I love it! And if I were doing it again, I'd get a KL4, cuz I like lumens. And after the KL1 and the mod, it cost as much as a KL4!

daloosh

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
New style or old style KL1? It think both are well worth it. The KL4 throws a wall of light, the new KL1 has a very nice hotspot (which translates to a lot of throw), and the old style KL1 is in between. If you do go with a old style KL1, make sure to check them beam tint (or swap the Lux once you have it). Do you have any specific uses in mind for the light? That might help with the decision.

-Mike

mullytron

Newly Enlightened
hi, newbie here. I just put a KL4 on an e1e and it's huge! I've heard the Surefire doesn't recommend it, but heard others have done it and had no problems.

Anyone ever gotten an adapter and put a KL3 on an e1e??

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I totally agree with Daloosh--I do think what intriguing about Surefire lights is the capacity of playing lego with them and the user always have the option to customize the module for more specific use.

I too am eagerly waiting for the new KL1 to arrive, and it just seems to be quite impressive from the beamshot picture that I have seen. It appears to have a tighter spot than the 'old-style' KL1.

For now, my KL4 does throw out a 'wall of light' for me; but I foresee my E2D may frequently switch between the new KL1 and MN03 in the not so distant future since it complements the MN03 better for my own use and liking.

For the decision, I would suggest to wait out the decision if time permits--so you may get to try out or see more reviews of the new KL1. And also, you get a chance to work with the E2E on a day-to-day basis and could have a better idea whether KL1 or KL4 is more suitable as the next addtion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, by the end of the day, 'buy em both' is the motto of CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey AuroraLite,

I just put a KL1 on my E2D and it rocks! It appears to out throw the MN03 lamp but it has that distictive LED hue. Someone else wrote that it takes the brain more time to identify a "target" with this type of light and I agree. Never the less I will use the LED way more as it is regulated and I'm one of the paranoids who always thinks my bulb is going to die an un-timely death. Even though my current MN03 lamp has survived a toss across the room onto a concrete floor (never play catch with a E2D it draws a lot of blood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif!). I do prefer incan light over LED but spare bulbs are a hassle.

As for the original question, get both. I have a L2 and the flood is great for night hikes, camping, and raiding the fridge at night.

cdf

Enlightened
The new KL1 , has very nice throw , and great runtime plus you can put it on an E1e for a truly compact EDC . It has a nice bright hotspot , the L4 has more sidespill/flood . I, go Kl1 .

jbev

Newly Enlightened
I like my KL4 for the sheer amounts of light it puts out. On the other hand, I like my new KL1 for inspecting cars and working in places where a tight beam keeps you from getting blinded by the reflections.

However, in the best traditions of CPF, you have to buy both.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my E1e today!Man, it's bright! I was (again suprised,) it's not a lot less bright then my E2d. and cute gotta admit. will be getting a KL-1 in the mail soon........... VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few months ago you would have my unreserved recommendation for a KL1, it's my favorite work light for close range/indoor applications (where LEDs excel). For outdoor.. my KT1 and MN60 should be on the plane on Monday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

For my applications I want more spill, less throw, because I'm using it at very short range. I've called the 4th generation KL1 "Surefire's smallest Turbohead" because that thing throws like there's no tomorrow. For pointing into small nookes and crannies where you don't want a lot of spill, that light is perfect. For other applications, maybe not so great. I myself like the 3rd-generation KL1.

But I'm starting to understand SF's philosophy - design for throw because you can always use a beamshaper up close. You can diffuse a beam, but not concentrate it (not without a reflector/optic replacement) whereas you can just slip the shaper over the KL1 and carry on.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as bang for the buck goes, the KL1 is hard to beat; but for the price of the KL4, there is other game out there that performs better. You could get an Aleph II head with either a Lux III or 5W. You could also get an Aleph I head with either a Lux III or 5W. With a Lux III in the Aleph I head, you'll get good sidespill and throw that will stomp what the E2e incand can do. It'll stomp the KL1 for that matter.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:

But I'm starting to understand SF's philosophy - design for throw because you can always use a beamshaper up close. You can diffuse a beam, but not concentrate it (not without a reflector/optic replacement) whereas you can just slip the shaper over the KL1 and carry on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,i thought about that too, and ordered a beam shaper with it. i also intend to get a E1e head and have tony "chop it" for a best of "both world's" head.VDG

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
so i'v read the whole thread, but am still a lil confused. i have and e2e and e2d. i bought the e2d second because i could stand it on end and the spiked bezel. i wanted to convert my e2e to LED, but wasn't sure about the difference between kl1 and kl4. kl1 is good for a tighter spot and kl4 is better throw and flood? also, not sure about the different generations. i'd like something with more flood than spot/flood, since i'll have my t2 for the spot. I wanted to acheive the same effect of the L4 or better. thanx for the clarification

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightbringer, the KL4 gives a big wall of light, i.e. lots of flood, compared the older style KL1 (3rd Gen and below), which is also flood, but less bright than the KL4. The latest KL1 (4th Gen) on the other hand, has more throw than flood. As to the different generations on the KL1, the latest (4th Gen) is the one that looks like the KL4, except the guts are different. The 3rd gen is the one with the 'fins' around the bezel.

Daloosh, what's the runtime like on the modded 3W in your KL1 running on 2x123s, do you know by any chance? I'm toying with that idea of changing the Led in mine too, but I don't want to cut down on the runtime to much...

Cornkid, I'd say go for it. The brightness is decent enough for most tasks (except for long distance throw/spotting), but the runtime makes up for it all. Imagine approx 4 hrs or so on 2x123s for the KL1 compared to 1 hr+ for the KL4! Besides, the KL1 is also more versatile, you can use it on a 3x123 body (VG or McLux or even Aleph I believe) for even longer runtime. I'm running mine off 2xR123s, which run at 4.2v EACH when fully charged... (that makes it about 8.4v on 2 R123s) So far so good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh, if you get one of the 3x123 bodies, you can also run your KL1 on 2AAs in case of an emergency too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Stanley,
I dunno the runtime, but it sure it a lot less than the KL1. Haven't kept track or done a test. It gets much warmer, too, but not uncomfortable. Chop did a great job on it!
daloosh

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Daloosh, I would imagine the runtime to be shorter too... Chop does great mods in his Chop Shop, as many others here would also agree!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, does a reflector in a KL1 throw better than the stock optics that are in there?

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Personally, I would always pick a reflector over an optic, think it looks cleaner and you get more light out the front. I been meaning to get a relector into mah FF2, I'm sure I'll be happier with it. All that said, I can't remember what it was like before. Except green, that is!
daloosh