Is the Palight the only constant on light?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if the Palight was the only light that has a very low constant on light output that can be seen in the dark? I would like to have a light with this function, but don't like the ultra thin pencil beam that the Palight produces.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the EternaLights have a constant on (or blinking, programable) internal LED that shines thru the translucent case. I keep my EternaLight EliteMAX next to my bed and the blue internal LED is bright enough to act as a night light. The least expensive EternaLight with the night beacon is the ErgoXRay. Edmund Scientific's has them on sale right now for only $27.95

Link to Edmund Scientific

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. Looks nice, but a little higher priced than I was wanting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jaa

Newly Enlightened
If you want a wider beam, you can flip the lens.

Just pry the lens out of the rubber case with a small screwdriver, turn it over, and press it back in. Also try it with the lens out completely.

If the beam seems too ringy with the reversed lens, try a bit of Scotch Satin tape to smooth it out.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There are several transistor-based switching circuits that consume tiny amounts of current when "off." Some enterprising engineers use this current to produce a "dim starlight" glow in the LED.

I have just such a light with 3 LEDs. The switch is just a momentary NO swicth. Pressint it cycles through 1-3 LEDs on, then off. When off, 2 of the LEDs glow at a "sub-milliamp" level that's just visible in total darkness.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Lightwave Infiniton features a very dim glow to its LED when off. I think I have a photograph of this glow on its web page. Let me go take a look...BRB...

infin6.jpg

This photograph makes the glow appear significantly brighter and greener than it actually is.
In reality, this glow is dimmer than the PALight's "find me" mode. Consider this to be a "find me" mode for the Infiniton C1.
rainbow.gif

The Lightwave Infiniton C1 emits a VERY faint greenish glow when off. I measured, and the LED is receiving somewhere between 1.00µA and 1.49µA (µA=microamps) when off, generating this glow. This is a very tiny current, and should not whatsoever affect the overall battery life.

My evaluation of the Infiniton is right here if you're interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $27.95 the ErgoXRay is only $10 or $12 more than the PAL and represents a much more substantial light. But I can relate. There have been times in my life where an extra ten wasn't an option. Like Jaa said, you can pry out the PAL lens and reverse it for a wider beam. Thats what I did on the two I have.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The switch is just a momentary NO swicth."

heyyyy, i could use that on my 4 year old highly inquisitive niece...

on topic: you can make your own "always on" light by jumping the switch with a resistor. you would have to experiment to find the right value.
i used a 50k ohm to jump the switch on my dorcy boss (which has a potted 5mm white nichia).

Bob