1x5mm 3xN cell light for $9.99

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
At the local Auto Parts Emporium they have three small LED lights. On the takes perhaps toothpick thin batteries x2 ($5 or 6.99), one that uses 3 button cells ($7.99), and the 3xN one ($9.99).

It appears to have a focusing type lense, and therefor I would probably not like it.

But at $10 bucks, I'll probably bite anyhow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the advantage of a 3 N cell light over a 2 AA cell light? The N cells cost three times as much as AA cells and are not as readily available. Do they have some function/design advantage over AA cells? Just curious. I just returned a flashlight because it had three N cells instead of the AA cells that I thought were in it (the package didn't identify the battery type) because I didn't see any point in spending $3 to power the light instead of $1.50 or less.

TODDONE

Newly Enlightened
N cells can be had at Lowes Hardware. 2 for $2.18, about the same as AA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Huh! Forget that!

I just scored a second XM3 off BST Lights!

For the record, the lights at the Auto Parts house look a lot like the eddie bauer lights at Target or the Coast lights at Frys. Except at the lense/bezel.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get 12 AA alkaline locally for $4.95, that's $.84 for two AA instead of $3.27 for three N. Best Buy's regular price for AA batteries is $19.95 for 48, which is $.42 each. In my area, two AA are much cheaper than three N. Is there any inherant functional or design advantage to either configuration for operating an LED light? The length difference between a three N light and a two AA light is negligable, but operational cost advantage seems to go to the two AA format.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main fuctions of 3 N instead of 3 AA are;
Smaller size.
3 N cells have enough voltage to light up white leds.
A single, or even 2 AA would need a boost circuit to get the leds to light up. Adds $$ to the cost of production.

My advise, stay away from the older N celled Ledlenser based lights.

There is so much better available here on cpf with a www.paypal.com account to buy them with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif