AMD Athlon 64 3500+

kev1-1

Enlightened
Looking at getting an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor. This will be used mainly for games! Would you go this way, instead of a high end Intel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
64 bit im still not up to date on it there is isnt to many 64 bit aplcations yet or operateing systems im useing a amd xp barton at 3200 speeds my amd 2100 finaly bit the dust but i ran it like at 3400 speeds. but what finaly killed it was a cracked cored /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big fan of AMD processors. There will always be a debate on which is better. As for me, I've never had an AMD go bad on me or had any problems relating to the processor, but I don't overclock either. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this on an XP 3000 barton core.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
tiktok overclcok that baby its fun. free power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
AMD 64 is the best for games both now and in the near future when it comes to price/performance. Make sure and spend equal time researching video adapters giving them equal weight in buying decisions. It may be better to go a little cheaper on the CPU to gain a notch or two up the video card ladder so to speak. The intel cpus are only noticably faster for doing things like video encoding etc, while on most other things the AMD64 with built in memory controller excell and with larger amounts of memory to be used in the future I expect this to become more of an issue causing Intel to design a similar CPU to replace the aging P4.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
The athlon 64 sure packs some punch! I've seen one run better than a P4 ee !!! ! (!)
Wish I could get one of these... If only I just sold a couple lights... Naw!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
For gaming, I would probably go with an AMD. The 64bit 3500+ is pretty expensive though...I might go with something slightly slower to save some money.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're resigned to laying out the bread for a high-end system,then PLEASE buy AMD!

I'd like to see what a 64-bit AMD chip would do in a system with an operating system that is mature, like one of the *NIXs.

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
...on most other things the AMD64 with built in memory controller excell and with larger amounts of memory to be used in the future I expect this to become more of an issue causing Intel to design a similar CPU to replace the aging P4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see INTEL scrap its 64-bit ITANIUM and try to come up with something that can compete with the AMD chip. IIRC more of the first 64-bit AMD cpu were sold in the first six months after it was introduced than ALL of the ITANIUMS sold in its much longer sales history. If INTEL were to finally pull the plug on the loser 'ITANIC' after all this time and money down a rathole it would be a real shot in the arm for AMD. It would tell the whole world that AMD has the technology edge over INTEL. WHEW! Major loss of face.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wish i could afford a high end parts .every pc i build i have to wait for a sale.best sale around here was a amd 2500 and mobo for 70 at frys..but id love to be able to aford a high end cpu.right now my fav cpu is amd .well i always have liked amd.and i realy like nforce 2 mobo,s the shuttle is very nice for the price.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Even if Intel would *admit* AMD did something better it wouldn't replace the fact they have deeper pockets and bigger fabs. Until AMD can catch up financially Intel will still rule the processor world and use questionable tactics to keep its stranglehold on it just to the point they are not shut down by the FTC for unfair market practices.

I have bought intel and AMD throughout the years. I buy AMD if they are the better deal and as compatible with upcoming technology and Intel when AMD turns out a lemon like the K5 series.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i wish i could afford a high end parts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I just rebuilt my main box with a new mobo, cpu and memory. I used the fastest cpu you could put in a PC...er...two years ago!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i wish i could afford a high end parts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I just rebuilt my main box with a new mobo, cpu and memory. I used the fastest cpu you could put in a PC...er...two years ago!

[/ QUOTE ]yep looks like it will be 2 years before we can get clawhammer. but man it looks cool 1 meg a level 2 cache.my video card is still nvidia 4200.hey if ya have a frys in ya area check em out they have crazy sales on mobo combos on weekends we just got a frys a few months ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Last major rebuild I did was to swap out my AMD K6-266 for a K6-450, it works fine for the internet but I cannot play much in the way of games or watch dvd movies without major hiccups.
Hopefully I can build a new system next year.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
tiktok overclcok that baby its fun. free power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
may give it a try one of these days. Got plenty of cooling power so I shouldn't have any problems bumping up the speed a notch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I read somewhere that dual-core OPTERONS are in the AMD development pipe. It's only a matter of time before all of them become affordable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my first cpu was a amd thunderbird.i only build amd. based compouters now.and prefare ati video cards and nvidia based motherboards

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
dual core opterons will be nice for server apps, for domestic uses and gaming most games are not written to take advantage of them. They also have to work on heat issues of them and liscensing for windows not treating a dual core as two cpus even though it is almost like two seperate CPUs

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i havent made my onew yet newbie but i love to overclcok and benchmark and run prime 95 to test for stabilty. i still need better memory. im looking for a very good cheap and silent heatsink i use cooler master now