New style Gerber Ultra

Lightchain

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering, has anyone actually seen the new style Gerber Ultra pictured here: http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm ? I am not sure from the picture whether or not it still comes with a pocket clip. I ask because sometimes I like to clip an infinity onto the bill of a baseball cap.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

They do come with clips as the one pictured in batterystation.com

Ultra.JPG

Lightchain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Actually I didn't realize the picture could be magnified like that. Do you know, is it a front-twist switch or a rear twist like the Trio?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
Is it still made in USA?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're made in China like the Trio and the LX1.0, LX3.0.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks!! I'll have to get a few more of the old style while I still can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Practically everything is made in China these days, so it's not surprising. The Char-Broil factory where I live just announced that they're closing down to make their grills in China. It's a sad thing for the American worker, but lots of companies are forced to do it in order to stay competative. I mean, look what happened to Schrade. They kept their production Stateside while Buck, Gerber and other knife manufacturers were looking to Taiwan and China. They were forced to close down after 100 years in the cutlery business. Now the rights to their name has been bought by Taylor Cutlery (producer of Smith & Wesson Knives) which will end up having them made in China anyway. The whole Made in China vs Made in USA debate has been beaten to death in other forums and ultimately it all boils down to what the consumer wants and what they're willing to pay for it. Like it or not, that's the world in which we live in.

As far as the flashlight is concerned, I got one of the "new" Gerber Infinities which came in a combo pack along with a Gerber Multiplier tool at Galyans. It's not a bad quality light at all, although I do like the original CMG Infinity Ultras better. That said, I do like the Gerber Trio and you should definately check out the Gerber LX3.0 if you can. It's well crafted, rugged and bright flashlight.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might take a look at this thread. I think I had a few pics that included the new clip that is included with the new style light. Note, you might have to follow the link to the pics, as I didn't want to put too many pics in the thread.

-john

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just saw these at the local REI. I think they want around $21 for them. Looked okay, but isn't it going in the wrong direction to be making it larger? I've been tempted by the Ultra for some time, so I could mothball the Arc AA, but this new size seems too much.

Geoff

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are they available with the clips on em?
Sorry Edit, Are they sold WITH the nice clips?

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cosmic Superchunk said:
Practically everything is made in China these days, so it's not surprising. The Char-Broil factory where I live just announced that they're closing down to make their grills in China. It's a sad thing for the American worker, but lots of companies are forced to do it in order to stay competative. I mean, look what happened to Schrade. They kept their production Stateside while Buck, Gerber and other knife manufacturers were looking to Taiwan and China. They were forced to close down after 100 years in the cutlery business. Now the rights to their name has been bought by Taylor Cutlery (producer of Smith & Wesson Knives) which will end up having them made in China anyway. The whole Made in China vs Made in USA debate has been beaten to death in other forums and ultimately it all boils down to what the consumer wants and what they're willing to pay for it. Like it or not, that's the world in which we live in.

As far as the flashlight is concerned, I got one of the "new" Gerber Infinities which came in a combo pack along with a Gerber Multiplier tool at Galyans. It's not a bad quality light at all, although I do like the original CMG Infinity Ultras better. That said, I do like the Gerber Trio and you should definately check out the Gerber LX3.0 if you can. It's well crafted, rugged and bright flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been telling people for years that they better look out that alot of jobs are going to China and that there are millions of workers over there and that they would work all day for a bowl of rice and a glass of water. How can an American worker compete with that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way is for Americans to buy more American made products instead of foreign made ones. I know it's not always possible or practical, but I think it would help if we keep our money here!

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
The only way is for Americans to buy more American made products instead of foreign made ones. I know it's not always possible or practical, but I think it would help if we keep our money here!

[/ QUOTE ]

It would if the demand for American made products were high enough, but you have to consider the cost of making the item in the United States. That cost is passed to the consumer. Personally, I don't mind paying more for a high quality American made item, but what happens when a similar quality item made overseas is available at a fraction of the cost? It's ironic that the average American worker demands more pay for what they do, but does not want to pay more for an American made product when there is a less expensive Chinese or Taiwanese made item available. As long as you have the Wal-Marts, Targets, and Kmarts of the world selling "mass produced" imported items for less, people are going to buy them because it's only natural for people to seek out a bargain.

Even USA made flashlights like Inovas have components made in Asia. I often think about how Mag Instruments will enter the LED market. As it is now, you can get an Opalec NewBeam module or a TerraLux MiniStar2 upgrade for a Mini Mag and all it will set you back is between $33 to $40 bucks (including the price of the standard Mini Mag). Will that be the target price of Mag's LEDs and how will they compete against Brinkmann's, Garrity's or Dorcy's imported LEDs? Will they have to limit their LED production to small lights like the Solitaire or Mini-Mag to stay competative with the rest of the mass produced flashlight manufacturers?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with what you say, Cosmic Superchunk. It just goes against my nature to buy foreign products when there is an American one that is anywhere near the cost and quality. I know it may sound silly to some people, but I feel like when a foreign product is purchased instead of a comparable American one, it's like selling out the American worker, and it's not being supportive of our country. I do understand that there are times when it's not possible or practical to always buy American, but it's just one of my core beliefs, to buy American and support Americans before foreigners. It's one of the ways I show my patriotism.

Okay, I'm done ranting now, and I'm sorry if this got a little off thread.