Surefire E1/E2 Elite

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like SureFire added some exciting features to the Elite. I had been worried that it was merely a cosmetic update. Aside from the obvious bezel and clip changes, the Elite is waterproof and has a pyrex lens, according to Paul Kim. Lockout/clickie tailcap, too!

With those updates, I think the E2 is amazing. With the addition of low-power (high runtime) and high-power lamps, they may very well have put out my perfect flashlight!

Joe

pk

Photon King
All components are compatible with original E1/E2.
You definitely can purchase Bezel and Tailcap separately.
pk

Bucky

Enlightened
From what we've all heard so far, the E2 Elite seems to pretty much be the small flashlight to end all small flashlights - ESPECIALLY if the clickie tailcap makes it into the final mix
wink.gif
grin.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the look of the current E2, but like the new features. PK, how about just staying with the same housing design, but just adding the new features, rather than a whole new flahlight? Might speed up production and reduce costs too.

In order of desire I want a E2 with
1) Lockout tail switch (I'm not going to buy an E2 until this becomes available)
2) Lower output lamp option
3) Waterproof
4) Pyrex lens (nice but not necesssary)
5) Voltage regulator (one can dream, can't he?)
6) Clicky tail switch (don't really care either way as long as it locks out)
7) Higher output lamp (I probably won't even buy this)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cave dave:

In order of desire I want a E2 with
1) Lockout tail switch (I'm not going to buy an E2 until this becomes available)
2) Lower output lamp option
3) Waterproof
4) Pyrex lens (nice but not necesssary)
5) Voltage regulator (one can dream, can't he?)
6) Clicky tail switch (don't really care either way as long as it locks out)
7) Higher output lamp (I probably won't even buy this)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My priority order changes depending on what I'm doing with the light today. I know that at my next camping trip, low-power lamp will rocket to the top of the list, so it's really very fluid. But, as of right this second, my priority list is:

1) Waterproof
2) Clickie tailcap
3) high output lamp
4) bezel-down clip
5) pyrex lamp
6) low-power lamp

Like I said though, come next camping season, that'll be reshuffled, with low-power lamp moving to 2nd or 3rd in importance, for example. I haven't had a light turn on accidnetly, but as soon as it does, lockout tailcap will end up high on the list.

Joe

pk

Photon King
Gentlemen,

All your inputs have been noted.
I do not have problem to meet all your requirements in due.
Some issues might take longer than other issues.
We will meet all your demands.

Thanks for all of your inputs.

Best Regards,
pk

JB

Enlightened
Yaaay! This is great news indeed. Will definitely make the Elite series the best!! I'm looking forward to all the upgrades.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just dreaming out loud here, my E2 has to be up there in my top 5 favourites as it is, and I`d love to see a new E2 with all those great options, plus...(here goes nothing)

Direct drop-in replacement Lithium Ion rechargeable battery pack (that should hopefully give the same or just less runtime as the SF123s), plus 1 hour intelligent charger system.

Luxeon Star LED replacement bezel (using the new Lambertian triphosphor whites that will be out next year), with specially designed lens to give the same smooth round E2 beam. Or even better, a drop-in Luxeon LED that has been specially made by LumiLEDs to fit the E2`s existing reflector.

Are these realistic ideas, or shall I go back to sleep again?
tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

E2 sounds awesome. And I'll be buying one. But let's not forget what's really needed in the SureFire lineup: an E3.

E3...E3...E3...E3...doesn't it sound melodious?

And, even though I'm sure I'll be laughed at, let me just mutter it underneath my breath: (e4...e4...)

Also, I still think someday doing a Nitrolon version of the E2 would be cool. (E2 lamp and size but made of G2 material).

And how about instead of a Luxeon bezel or drop in replacement bulb, creating a Luxeon tail cap to replace/augment the normal tailswitch. That way you can switch between the LED and the main bulb.

hmmwv

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone noticed how many movies / TV sets are dubbing the "clickie" sound over the surefire switch? It's like the sound guy is saying, hmmmm - light came on but I didn't hear anything - it needs a click-CLICK at that point on the soundtrack.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Direct drop-in replacement Lithium Ion rechargeable battery pack (that should hopefully give the same or just less runtime as the SF123s), plus 1 hour intelligent charger system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A 4/3 A cell has a little more than 6Wh, pretty close to 2 123 cells (and the same size). But you need some circuit to prevent overdischarge. And a bulb running at it's voltage.
BTW, there are no dumb chargers for Li-Ion.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Many of us love the Surefire E2, but we're also aware of its failings: lack of a lock-out tailcap, no anti-roll bezel, etc. etc. But in fact the E2 has some features that I haven't seen, or have rarely seen mentioned in CPF.

1)As a few of us have noted, the E2's belt clip acts as an excellent anti-roll device. Test it and I think you'll agree.

2)No lockout tail cap? Wanna bet? Loosen both the tail cap and the bezel. At a certain point of looseness
not even the most aggressive "punch" on the tail switch will cause the slightest flicker. I don't advise
this if you carry the E2 clipped to your belt, but in a holster there's no problem. (Note that this does
NOT work on the 6P)

3)There is an excellent way to use the E2 in normal "flashlight position", along with a convenient switch, as an alternative to "tac" position. First, tighten the tailpiece until it lights; then unscrew the bezel just enough for the light to go out. Then just hold it like a regular flashlight and use the belt clip as a rotary thumb switch; it's easy and requires only a slight motion. If you try this in reverse by tightening the bezel, securing the loosened tailpiece with your fourth or 5th finger, and rotating the E2's body, it can be made to work, but it's much less efficient than the first way.

I've seen the proposed Elite. I think it's ugly, clunky, and somewhat gross, at least compared to the lovely elegance
of the classic E2. I have no objection if Surefire plans to have two separate E2 lines, with the Elite as the "Tac" model and the current E2 as itself. But if they intend to have only one E2 I vote most strongly to keep the little guy just as he is.

nonbox

Banned
I thought the E3 would be the next model for the executive line. I thought the executive line wasn't going to look like the military style of the M2. I thought the executive line was suppose to be smaller and more elegant like a gentleman's folding knife not like a tactical folding knife.