Parts storage?

GutWrench

Enlightened
Hey guys how do you store all your misc flashlight parts, bezels, lamp assemblys and such? I have been keeping them in the little plastic fishing lure boxes from wally but I was wondering what the pros use?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about the same thing lately. Currently I use a combination of ziploc bags, a couple small cardboard boxes, and one plastic container with divided sections. I really need to upgrade.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use several differnt sizes of the clear plastic parts organizers or fishing tackle boxes, and keep those inside a larger Rubbermaid storage container. Works great for me.

-Keith

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Office supply stores like Staples/Office Depot sell plastic drawer units. They are modular and stackable and come with casters. Work great for me. (Best if you catch them on sale.)

Larry

GutWrench

Enlightened
Thats a good idea. I bought a few more of the little boxes that I already have and some labels...this should suffice for a while longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Just go to walmart and buy stackable storage cablinets with clear plastic drawers, I have the grey ones that stack in 2 different types cabinets with 3 different sizes of drawers in one type and only one size in the other. They all come with dividers.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I segregate things like propritary light modules into medicine bottles.

Basic bulbs are in a drawer unit from Walmart.

Everything else is in a shoe box.

I expect things to be just a smidgen better organized once we move, as I'll have my A$$ kicked if a make as much of a mess as I had here!

GutWrench

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said: I'll have my A$$ kicked if a make as much of a mess as I had here!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've got several "Plano" fishing tackle organizers (something like this). Not the typical "toolbox" shape, but the ones that have sides that open on both sides of the box. Inside are many compartments that are adjustable with little included dividers. The sides that open are clear or smoked allowing one to look through into the little compartments.

StuU

Enlightened
I am using a large plastic tool/parts kit organizer. It looks like a miniature suitcase. The bottom section holds big stuff like whole small flashlights, holsters, battery holders, etc. And the top section has lots of little compartments for small parts like bulbs, leds, resistors, reflectors, etc. The top and bottom open separately.

Works for me. However, the flashlights awaiting mods or disassembly still overflow into a plastic bucket in the basement.

jtice

Flashaholic
I use a few old storage containers my mom used to use for craft threads.
These can be found in the craft section at Wal-Mart.
Thats for all the small parts. I also have a 3 plastic drawer that i keep the larger stuff in.
You can also get stackable plastic containers from Wal-Mart that work well.
But no matter what i do, I cant seem to keep it as organized as I would like.

http://www.jtice.com/temp/tools/IMG_0611.JPG
http://www.jtice.com/temp/tools/IMG_0608.jpg

Techmedic

Enlightened
I store stuff, depending on the stuff's purpose a number of ways:

Odds'n ends/spares/parts: (basement) Large plastic tool box with lots of small sections for ½ used batteries (they get put in toy cars), open packs of new batteries, dedicated battery tester, parts of junked lights. For bulbs (about 60) I have a 6" plastic parts bin with bulbs in little ziplock bags, in order of 1 to 6 cell types. Each ziplock bag (2"x3") has a piece of construction paper in it with the following listed for example:
2AA, KPR102, 2.2V, 0.47A, 7 Lumens.
Overflow of 123's reside here also. Box has lock on it to keep it kidproof.

Home Emergency: (our bedroom closet) 12" x 8" x 2" plastic storage box (tackle-type) with two of every type of bulb (including flourescent) for all home backup emergency lights. Dedicated battery tester. All resides in a small rubbermaid bin with backup lights. Separate small bin with batteries: 48-D's, 24-C's, >100-AA's, 4-9V's, light sticks, etc… All battery packages are labeled with date when purchased. Bins are accessible for wife (top shelf) to fill lights (fluorescent lanterns, etc…) and portable radio up with batteries in the event of power outage. Older 2D types for long run time are good.

Cottage Bag: (a.k.a. Bug out bag, bedroom closet) Full spares & service kit in a 16"x 10"x2" clear plastic tackle box with gasket (from fart-mart) to support 6P, 9P, TL-2, Mini-maglite, Small 4AA flourescent, 2AA conventional incandescents, with mini digital meter. (stays in there always) Silicone grease, Q-tips, small bottles of alcohol, mini screwdriver, 400 grit emery paper, vinyl eraser, paper towels cut into 2"x2" squares. Contains 22-123A's, 10-AA's, 4-AAA's, 5-C's, 1-9V. Sure-fire bulbs fit in 35mm film case. Other PR type bulbs in 35mm film case with small bits of foam between bulbs. Pelican modules in mini ziplock bags and/or 35mm film cases. Film cases labeled with dymo tape. (old and cheap, but works) Inventory list.

Same plastic box again with boating stuff: 6-AA alkaline pack (full) with extra 12-AA's for radio, extra 3-C's for pelican super saber light. (boating light)
Pelican 3C super saber light, Streamlight TL-2 in custom belt holder, with match case holding 2-123A's, marine radio waterproof bag, Gerber multi-plier, small insect repellant, small sunscreen, mini roll of duct tape, boat license, other minor boating stuff. Two sets of keys: cottage and van key with whistle, plastic clip, and floatation device.

Tips:
-For bug out bag with critical spares that you must have if the SHTF, have an inventory list and DO check its' contents periodically. Place into bag with spare clothes - you grab the entire bag on the way out.
-For home emergency stuff - spare bulbs and lots of batteries. No real high end lights in here.
-Battery storage: Freshest batteries go into home emergency box AND bug out bag. Move oldest replaced batteries to basement box. Use up batteries from basement box first for toys, common lights, etc…
Be organized. Hope that this helps.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for compartmented storage for my O-rings which I'm acquiring quite a few of in various sizes.

I found a translucent plastic box with a hinged, snap closed lid and twenty-eight 1.5" cubed compartments. It contained a bunch of marble's for a gift I ordered from a marble collector a few years ago.

Getting and keeping my flashlight stuff organized is an ongoing project for me. I still have alot of parts and accessories in cigar boxes.

I think it's about time I checked out The Container Store again.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
A spare parts box is a funny thing. They always start out perfectly organized, and then....

Raw parts (LEDs, switches, converters, lenses, optics, etc) are in a tackle box. It's usually opened up on my bench, so the box does not do a lot of good. All electronic components are safely kept in anti-static bags.

PIPs, or Projects In Progress (partially assembled or partially modified or lights under test) are stored in several strategic locations; my work bench, coffee table, computer desk, kitchen counter...... You get the idea.

My wife MUST love me.

Daniel

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
We have tons of dollar outlet stores with all types of plastic storage containers and they are only, yep you guessed it... $1.00. I got 'em in different colors and styles. LEDs in one box, soldering crap in another, etc. I will post some photos after work.

Dave